Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The New Treasure Hunt's 30th Anniversary  (Read 8645 times)

Brandon Brooks

The New Treasure Hunt's 30th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2003, 04:45:22 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 12:56 PM\'] And, IIRC, Sports Challenge was produced by the PBS station in Los Angeles.  Probably the first and only PBS \"game show\", and would it have been done in any other market but LA? [/quote]
That doesn't sound quite right.  Didn't a big 4 net (I'm thinking NBC) do Sports Challenge?  And furthermore, that most certainly wouldn't be the only game show PBS produced.  They produced one boring dry in the eighties that I can't remember the name of, and how can you ever forget Where in the Word/Time is Carmen Sandiego?

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 05:06:42 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2003, 04:53:51 PM »
Sports Challenge was seen briefly on CBS one summer, but was mainly a syndicated offering.  I took melman1's comment about it being taped at a PBS station at face value, but it turns out that part isn't correct either.  It was taped at KTLA, the famed independent -- not PBS -- Los Angeles station.  

Even the opinion he stated that Sports Challenge couldn't have been done anywhere but LA is iffy.  There's a much larger concentration of sports teams in and around the New York area, for example.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dheine1971

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2003, 08:50:22 PM »
Besides being rerun on CBN in 1983-1984, local stations aired the \"New Treasure Hunt\" and \"Treasure Hunt\" reruns with other Chuck Barris shows (\"Gong Show\", \"$1.98 Beauty Show\", \"Dating Game\", and \"Newlywed Game\") in the mid 1980's.

melman1

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2003, 09:54:33 PM »
Drat.  I was thinking of a 70's show called \"The Way It Was\" which airs in the mornings on ESPN Classic.  Its end credits say it was produced by KCET, Community Television of Southern CA.

Sorry.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

DrBear

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2003, 10:54:59 PM »
Add PBS Game Shows:

The Miami PBS station combined with British and Australian TV for a show called \"Top of the World\" in 1982. It had three contestants, one from each country, answering questions about each other's countries. All three were shown on big screens with delays to equalize any time lag because of the satellites, with the host in London. For the championship, the three top scorers came to London and competed in person.

Nifty \"2001\" style opening, as well, with dramatic electronic music and floating planets behind satellite dishes.

And, if I'm not mistaken, this is my 100th post, for them as cares.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

rugrats1

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2003, 11:44:14 PM »
The Miami PBS station combined with British and Australian TV for a show called \"Top of the World\" in 1982.

Nifty \"2001\" style opening, as well, with dramatic electronic music and floating planets behind satellite dishes.

I also recall the opening also featuring exterior shots of the studios the show originated in -- WPBT ch.2 in Miami, the Australian ABC studios in Sydney, and of course, Thames Television (where the main show originated; hence, the Thames \"skyline\" logo at the start and end).

They produced one boring dry in the eighties that I can't remember the name

This was probably the one -- the rules are that in the first round, each contestant answers 12 questions worth one point each, each containing 4 questions from the US, Britain and Australia. Round two was 2 minutes of questions based on the subject of the contestant's choice, worth 2 points apiece. Round 3 was questions in world knowledge, worth 3 points if right or -3 points if wrong. The top winner from each country returns later on for their tournament of champions, where the top winner wins a 1924 Rolls Royce.

The host was Eamonn Andrews, who was a famed radio and TV presenter in Ireland and Britain (but an unknown in the US and Australia); he died in 1987. This wasn't the first time he participated in an intercontinental Tv series -- there was also \"The Dick Cavett / Eamonn Andrews Satellite Specials\", which was co-produced in the 1970s by (W)WOR and Thames.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 09:27:15 AM »
local stations aired the \"New Treasure Hunt\" and \"Treasure Hunt\" reruns with other Chuck Barris shows (\"Gong Show\", \"$1.98 Beauty Show\", \"Dating Game\", and \"Newlywed Game\") in the mid 1980's.

\"Newlywed\" and \"Dating\" were certainly in the most markets.  From reading old TVGuides from that time period, very few cities picked up \"Gong\" or \"TH\" reruns.  In my area, we only had \"Newlywed\" and \"Dating\".

I guess it must have been good ratings for the two must have led to the new versions which started in the mid-80s.  If the ratings for the reruns weren't good, it's hard to imagine them doing the new versions.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 09:48:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 08:27 AM\']

"Newlywed" and "Dating" were certainly in the most markets.  From reading old TVGuides from that time period, very few cities picked up "Gong" or "TH" reruns.  In my area, we only had "Newlywed" and "Dating".

[/quote]
 WNBC had Treasure Hunt 1981 reruns for a time in Spring 1985 in the wee hours of the night. And I know of at least one station that aired $1.98 Beauty SHow reruns: WPTT CHannel 22 in Pittsburgh for a brief time in 1985.

Now did any station pick up Camouflage reruns :)

catnap1972

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 10:39:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 10:10 AM\'] [quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 12:21 AM\'] I guess I'm just curious why GSN is having clearance issues now, but CBN didn't when they picked up the reruns of the 70's version in 1984?

Rob [/quote]
Rob, when you get an answer to that, let me know.  I've been wondering the same thing for years. [/quote]
 Probably incorrect (just a theory) but could the original licensing rights have only applied to Chuck Barris' ownership of the show and not Sony's?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 11:32:43 AM »
In Detroit, Newlywed/Gong ran from 11am-Noon on WXON Ch. 20 and Dating/TH ran from 1pm-2pm on WGPR Ch. 62.  I have a TV Guide from the Orlando area from 83 and there was at least one station that also ran \"3's a Crowd\" reruns.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 12:04:15 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 09:54 PM\'] Drat.  I was thinking of a 70's show called "The Way It Was" which airs in the mornings on ESPN Classic.  Its end credits say it was produced by KCET, Community Television of Southern CA. [/quote]
 I remember that show, and now that I think about it, I think it would be very easy for you to confuse the two series.  As I recall, both featured a similar-looking cheesy early 70s set and both went to their old sports clips through a crude chroma-key.  I'd imagine it would also be pretty easy to get Curt Gowdy and Dick Enberg mixed up.  You are forgiven.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 12:18:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 11:04 AM\'][quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 09:54 PM\'] Drat.  I was thinking of a 70's show called \"The Way It Was\" which airs in the mornings on ESPN Classic.  Its end credits say it was produced by KCET, Community Television of Southern CA. [/quote]
I remember that show, and now that I think about it, I think it would be very easy for you to confuse the two series.  As I recall, both featured a similar-looking cheesy early 70s set and both went to their old sports clips through a crude chroma-key.  I'd imagine it would also be pretty easy to get Curt Gowdy and Dick Enberg mixed up.  You are forgiven.[/quote]
And to complete the whole circuit, Gerry Gross Enterprises produced both \"Sports Challenge\" and \"The Way It Was\" (the latter for KCET--he or his successor may've held on to the post-PBS ownership rights).

ChuckNet

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 09:34:37 PM »
Besides being rerun on CBN in 1983-1984, local stations aired the \"New Treasure Hunt\" and \"Treasure Hunt\" reruns with other Chuck Barris shows (\"Gong Show\", \"$1.98 Beauty Show\", \"Dating Game\", and \"Newlywed Game\") in the mid 1980's.

And much like a number of the 1978 NG eps, some of the 70s THs had new fee plug inserts for c. 1984 products edited in over the original segments.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 09:37:39 PM »
And I know of at least one station that aired $1.98 Beauty SHow reruns: WPTT CHannel 22 in Pittsburgh for a brief time in 1985.

It made a nice lead in to the station's \"Bedtime Movie\", a basic late show w/the intros done by sexy, scantily-clad women who spoke in sultry voices that were chosen by the viewers via phone voting.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

melman1

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2003, 09:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 09:04 AM\']I remember [The Way It Was], and now that I think about it, I think it would be very easy for you to confuse the two series.  As I recall, both featured a similar-looking cheesy early 70s set and both went to their old sports clips through a crude chroma-key.  I'd imagine it would also be pretty easy to get Curt Gowdy and Dick Enberg mixed up.  You are forgiven.[/quote]
To confuse things further, Enberg hosted \"Sports Challenge\" and did the cheesy play-by-play recreations on Gowdy's \"The Way it Was\".
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.