Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How did the 70's $OTC differ frm the 80's?  (Read 3823 times)

That Don Guy

How did the 70's $OTC differ frm the 80's?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 05:06:11 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138474\' date=\'Nov 21 2006, 05:04 PM\']
Another important difference:  Neither Kelly or Joe played the mind games with the contestants on Instant Bargains.  Most of the time, a player buzzed in as soon as Bill Wendell said what the prize was.  If they didn't, the audience started screaming "BUY IT!" and Kelly or Joe would do a little filling until saying "Once..twice...gone!"  (No "No sale!")  Occasionally, Joe would cut the price, but no offers of cash.  (And the plug was only heard if the contestant bought it.)
[/quote]
Actually, there's a reason the host didn't say "no sale"; it meant something else.
There was a closed curtain; Bill would say the price (for example, "For 14 dollars 95 cents..."), and then the curtain would open as Bill explained what the prize was.  Whoever buzzed in first got the prize - unless they buzzed in before the curtain opened.  If this happened, the host would say "no sale", whoever buzzed in would lose both the prize and the amount (as a penalty for buzzing in too soon), and I think the other two players were given another chance for one of them to buy it.

Some more notes: in the earliest episodes, they didn't have the Century Round; instead, the final round was 30 seconds at $15 a question; also, in the '70s three-player version, if someone went down to zero, they were out of the game.  (I didn't see enough of the couples version to know what happened there.  I remember it happening on a couples weekly syndicated episode, and both couples were given another $20, but since that would make it easier for the couple in the lead to win prizes in the NBC version's end game, I doubt that's what the daytime version did.)

(Oh, and whoever mentioned the contestants having a chance to win money in the Audience Sale by guessing which audience player was closest; I think the contestants would win $5 for a correct guess, and since nobody won the prize if all three audience players were over the price, a guess of "nobody" was allowed as well.)

-- Don

J.R.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 11:58:54 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138687\' date=\'Nov 23 2006, 03:23 PM\']

And the only reason that "SOTC" went off in the UK is because of Grundy buying the format from Al Howard--they told Anglia that they had to switch to the revamped format they'd introduced in Australia (and would bring to America).  Since they'd had a hit show for twelve years with the original format, Anglia said no, Grundy didn't renew the license and the show went off the air in the UK.
[/quote]

Didn't the UK try the Grundy SotC format in the late 80s?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

trustno1

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'138707\' date=\'Nov 23 2006, 11:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138687\' date=\'Nov 23 2006, 03:23 PM\']

And the only reason that "SOTC" went off in the UK is because of Grundy buying the format from Al Howard--they told Anglia that they had to switch to the revamped format they'd introduced in Australia (and would bring to America).  Since they'd had a hit show for twelve years with the original format, Anglia said no, Grundy didn't renew the license and the show went off the air in the UK.
[/quote]

Didn't the UK try the Grundy SotC format in the late 80s?

-Joe R.
[/quote]

Yes, they did that on Sky Television in 1989, hosted by (not the Hollywood Squares) Peter Marshall.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

calliaume

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »
I think everybody pretty much nailed the differences.  The big ones were the Fame Game (or lack of), only the leader getting the opportunity to win Instant Bargains, and the Speed Round.

Of course, in the '80s the host didn't disappear one Monday morning with no advance warning.

I never got a particularly good explanation for that switch -- was it one of those "We've got him under contract, so let's get him in something else, quick" things?

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 10:14:26 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'138849\' date=\'Nov 26 2006, 09:46 PM\']
Of course, in the '80s the host didn't disappear one Monday morning with no advance warning.
[/quote]
The announcer did, though. And it happened twice with hostesses.