Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No (Syndication) `Deal' for Howie  (Read 6383 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
No (Syndication) `Deal' for Howie
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 06:09:24 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'139794\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 03:05 PM\']
Wouldn't they love to have some programming to fill their morning or afternoon schedule?
[/quote]
Sadly, this is what Judge Dick Hertz is for.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 08:30:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'139798\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 06:09 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'139794\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 03:05 PM\']Wouldn't they love to have some programming to fill their morning or afternoon schedule? [/quote]Sadly, this is what Judge Dick Hertz is for.[/quote]
Does he follow Cristina's Court or Judge Maria?  Nah, probably both.

/Judge Judy won't have any of us running toward BB&B
//any room left on that train?

NickS

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'139747\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 08:37 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'139743\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 06:13 AM\']
Myself, I'd like to see James Cramer host it.  BOOYAH!
[/quote]
They'd be all good whenever someone called for Number 26.

/obscure?
[/quote]

Not if you're an Aussie there, legs 11.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
Adding on another thought: are there any sitcom reruns for next year? The only eligible ones I can think of are George Lopez and maybe Two and a Half Men. Of course, the decline of quality sitcoms, or even sitcoms lasting beyond two seasons, could possibly be to blame.

ObGameShows: The second half of "Show Me the Money" airs in "George Lopez"'s former timeslot.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 09:55:34 PM »
As I recall, this was an issue for "Weakest Link" back in 2002.... It took NBC a LONG time to settle in on George Gray, after local stations were sent a long laundry list of potential hosts....

Yep...I recall Ellen DeGeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, and Rich Hatch being among the potential candidates, and was prolly just as surprised as anyone when they settled on Gray...however, judging by his performance, I think they made the right decision. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

colonial

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
Given the lack of good sitcom reruns becoming available in the coming years, stations are going to be looking for fresh syndicated programming to fill holes once the *Seinfeld* and *Friends* reruns of the world finally get stale.

Another thing to consider is MyNetwork TV.  Is this network going to be around next fall, given how the ratings for their programming is bordering on PAX/i levels?  I can't see stations not owned by Fox enthusiastically picking up a second season of programs from MNTV.

If that's the case, perhaps a few of these stations will look at creating a syndie powerhouse lineup in prime time that could include a game show or two.

Last I checked, only one new show has been picked up for syndication next year -- a court show from Sony which will be paired with Judge Maria, which got renewed despite an 0.8 rating (?!?!?).  You have at least three talk shows on the bubble (Behrendt, Mullally, Ablow), and one vet talk show could be in trouble (I have a feeling the Montel Williams Show may be in trouble -- ratings aren't that great and Williams' health is a concern).

On the court side, you have Christina's Court on the bubble.  On the game side, Family Feud may be on the bubble -- a lot of it will depend on how well Debnar-Mercury does with promoting the show to affiliates, as well as the possibility of FF being paired with a proposed MG revival in the fall (B&C reported Fremantle pitching an MG revival a few weeks ago).

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 10:42:13 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'139872\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 07:23 AM\']
Another thing to consider is MyNetwork TV.  Is this network going to be around next fall, given how the ratings for their programming is bordering on PAX/i levels? [/quote]
Okay, kids. Raise your hand if you DIDN'T see this coming?

No? Good. Moving on...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 12:22:26 PM »
I don't think there will be any good time slots for new game shows.  The prevailing thought is WOF/J! own 7-8, why put another game opposite what must be considered a juggernaut.

One of the trends in my area is increasing local news in early fringe.  Both Channel 12 in Flint and Channel 4 in Detroit have or soon will have a 4pm news opposite Oprah.  It might get the same ratings as Megan Mullally in that slot but at least the stations don't have to share the revenue with a syndicator.  It's sort of an on-air dress rehearsal for the 5 o'clock cast.

What's also happening here is double runs of court shows.  From 8am-11am and Noon-5pm you can spend your whole day in court and only have to switch the channel once.

As far as the needs of MY or CW stations. our My affil in Saginaw is co-owned with the CBS affil, so we get the same syndicated shows on both channels, but at different times.  For example, Oprah is on the CBS affil at 4 and is seen again at 10pm on the My affil, you can see Dr Phil at 3pm and 7pm.  All local newscasts are simulcast on both channels.  The NBC station in town runs the CW station, both the CW and My affills are sub-channels of the parent station.
At least in my market, there's not a lot of room for any new syndicated game shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 01:13:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'139881\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 09:22 AM\']
The NBC station in town runs the CW station, both the CW and My affills are sub-channels of the parent station.[/quote]
I guess nobody told them that the "C" in "CW" stands for CBS. That's just weird.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 01:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'139884\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 01:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'139881\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 09:22 AM\']
The NBC station in town runs the CW station, both the CW and My affills are sub-channels of the parent station.[/quote]
I guess nobody told them that the "C" in "CW" stands for CBS. That's just weird.
[/quote]

The CW station in the Flint/Saginaw/Bay City market was the former WB affiliate prior to the network shakeup. Given that there was no true UPN affiliate in the market (cable carried UPN from Detroit, the CBS aired some shows), it made sense that the established WB affiliate take the CW affiliation.

In this age of duopolies and sub-channels, such arrangements are not rare.

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 02:15:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'139886\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 10:43 AM\']
In this age of duopolies and sub-channels, such arrangements are not rare.
[/quote]
True enough, I suppose. I worked at one of the first LMA's in the country, and we were a Fox on one side, and a CBS on the other. Just seems a little strange to me that one would exist with two of the Big Three, but I'm sure it happens.

Don Howard

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'139798\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 06:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'139794\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 03:05 PM\']
Wouldn't they love to have some programming to fill their morning or afternoon schedule?
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yes, I believe Judge Hertz will be paired with a courtroom show presided over by Michael Hunt.
As for the DOND host, it's time to bring Floyd Brown out from retirement and add blindfolds.

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'139893\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 02:59 PM\']
Yes, I believe Judge Hertz will be paired with a courtroom show presided over by Michael Hunt.
[/quote]
The Dick Hunt Hour?

/I'll be standing in the corner.
//No dinner for me, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:16:21 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

NickS

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 06:49:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'139897\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 02:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'139893\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 02:59 PM\']
[/quote]
The Dick Hunt Hour?

/I'll be standing in the corner.
//No dinner for me, thanks.
[/quote]

Good try, but take the nickname of Micheal and then read that and his last name together.

/The Hertz/Hunt hour is produced by Dick Armey
//I got Don's joke right away
///Aisle seat for me (and Don, too)

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 07:03:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'139921\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 06:49 PM\']
Good try, but take the nickname of Micheal and then read that and his last name together.
[/quote]
Better yet!

/Gold star
//I give myself a silver