Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MSNBC lists top 5 GS evah  (Read 4796 times)

DrBear

MSNBC lists top 5 GS evah
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:18:53 PM »
Stuart Levine at MSNBC, in the site's "Top 5" feature, lists his picks.
They aren't really ranked, but they aren't in alphabetical order, either. So I don't know if he has a No. 1. But they are, in the order he lists: TPIR, J!, MG7X, LMAD, and WWTBAM?
There's also an area to vote for  your fave, with 16 choices. Strangely, "Remote Control" is one of them.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

alfonzos

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
The author's youth betrays him. Remote Control is on the list, but Concentration isn't.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

davewalls

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 09:25:48 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'139810\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 08:41 PM\']
The author's youth betrays him. Remote Control is on the list, but Concentration isn't.
[/quote]

The author didn't actually state that "Remote Control" was one of his favorites. It's just an option to vote for. You don't like it, don't vote.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:19:26 PM »
[/quote]

I'm just sad that it's actually ranking ahead of The Joker's Wild and Name That Tune.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:21:16 PM »
The author's youth betrays him. Remote Control is on the list, but Concentration isn't.[/quote]
Yes, the author must be the right age to have appreciated Remote Control, which aired (according to Wikipedia) from 1987 to 1990. Of course, there was no version of Concentration on the air at that time.

(EDIT: And you've matched the "1500 GSForum Posts" prize! Good luck with those.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:22:34 PM by Robert Hutchinson »
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 10:29:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'139828\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 10:21 PM\']
Yes, the author must be the right age to have appreciated Remote Control, which aired (according to Wikipedia) from 1987 to 1990. Of course, there was no version of Concentration on the air at that time.
[/quote]
Classic Concentration premired in 1987.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:32:27 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'139817\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 09:25 PM\']
The author's youth betrays him. Remote Control is on the list, but Concentration isn't.[/quote]
The author didn't actually state that "Remote Control" was one of his favorites. It's just an option to vote for. You don't like it, don't vote.[/quote]
No, Alfonzo's point is quite valid.  If you're going to give people a list of all-time greats to choose from, Remote Control sticks out of that list like the proverbial sore thumb.  As a group (and some of us are surely younger than the author), we put fifteen of those shows in or near the top twenty of all time, but we had Remote Control at #47.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

wheelloon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 11:11:23 PM »
What I *loved* was the one line where he says Let's Make a Deal was a forerunner to DoND. Uh huh, sure... :-/

While I can see the current batch of DoND contestants dressing up in chicken costumes, maids' outfits, and the like, with no trouble at all, I think calling LMaD a forerunner to DoND is a bit of a stretch. So, maybe, you're telling me, on both shows, you gotta decide between taking a risk and taking a sure thing? Uhm, isn't that also seen on TPIR, and Wheel, and Millionaire, and Greed...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 11:19:12 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'139840\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 11:11 PM\']
What I *loved* was the one line where he says Let's Make a Deal was a forerunner to DoND. Uh huh, sure... :-/
[/quote]
Honestly, I was listening to a George Carlin bit on XM last nite, and he was going on about LMAD. The way he described the contestants, I couldn't help but think of D/ND, although it in no way compares to LMAD.

I'd say Treasure Hunt was more of a forerunner than anything, except boxes weren't eliminated, and the gimmicks were done out of typical Chuck Barris cheesiness.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

DrBear

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:14 PM »
Ah, I'd take Carol Merrill over any of those models...although I'd like to take a long time comparing them ;)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

davewalls

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:36:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'139834\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 10:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'139817\' date=\'Dec 6 2006, 09:25 PM\']
You don't like it, don't vote.[/quote]
No, Alfonzo's point is quite valid.  If you're going to give people a list of all-time greats to choose from, Remote Control sticks out of that list like the proverbial sore thumb.
[/quote]

Agreed, his viewpoint is valid. The first reading made me believe he was stating that RC was on the Top 5 list, instead of a meaningless poll at the bottom.

I didn't take RC being in the voting section as an endorsement of the show, or even his statement that he liked it. Any voting poll, IMO, has to have it's own version of Ralph Nader to bring up the rear. He could have put "Show Me The Money" in that "Remote Control" slot, and I would have taken it exactly the same.

Not a slam on Alfonzo, though. Apologies if it came out like that.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:37:19 PM »
If Remote Control was noteworthy for anything other than being MTV's first game show, it was that the show was a dead-on parody of almost everything in the genre. Every cliche and format was wedged into one thirty-minute show.
Travis L. Eberle

brianhenke

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »
What RC is also known for: It was the first time most of us had seen Adam Sandler or Colin Quinn.

Also, the MSNBC article said ABC killed WWTBAM by going three times a week; it was on four times a week in the 2000-01 season. Most of us think that WWTBAM went downhill when they put on celebrity editions (seemingly) every week, and letting them use the other celebs to get to $32,000. Athletes, supermodels, TV stars, etc. - the appearance of these celebs (as well as the elimination of the phone game) stripped the game of its appeal - that is, seeing some ordinary guy win big. I still believe today that WWTBAM would have been a twice-weekly show right now on ABC (in addition to the syndie version) if there hadn't been too much overkill and too many celebrities in 2000 and 2001.

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 12:34:32 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'139848\' date=\'Dec 7 2006, 12:12 AM\']
What RC is also known for: It was the first time most of us had seen Adam Sandler or Colin Quinn.
[/quote]

Not necessarily (as far as Sandler goes)...He was also guesting on some "Cosby Show"  episodes during the 1987-88 season.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 12:42:05 AM »
You gotta like a show that has a pic of Bill Cullen on the set, though.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.