Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: independents picking up network shows  (Read 1334 times)

chrispw1

independents picking up network shows
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »
I was wondering when independent stations picked up network shows back in the day how they made their decisions. Were there limits to how much they could pick up based on how much money they had, were some restricted to only one network, did they base it based on what would likely be more popular, what shpws the station's program director liked,  be it game shows, soap operas, sitcom reruns. I've been out to the library recently looking at various microfilm tv guides from differnt areas and noticed some independents picking up some shows and others going unclered and I saw from the Boston paper that at one point in 1986 channel 68 had 4-5 hours worth of pre-empted shows. Also, what were some shows that independents picked up in your area?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »
I think the network probably approached the station after the primary affil rejected the show.  There was most likely no cash expended either way.  The indie gets a quality network show and the network gets a clearance.  Boston would be a higher priority for network clearance due to its size.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »
I think it was the other way around. If an indie knew an affiliate wasn't clearing a network show, they would approach the network. I believe there was a small amount of compensation involved, depending on ratings.

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:10:48 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'140414\' date=\'Dec 13 2006, 02:55 PM\']
I think it was the other way around. If an indie knew an affiliate wasn't clearing a network show, they would approach the network. I believe there was a small amount of compensation involved, depending on ratings.
[/quote]
I read that when the Sinclair-owned ABC affiliates pre-empted Nightline not long ago, the stations that picked up the show in each affected market were contacted by ABC.  Many years ago, our then-indie WUHF approached NBC about picking up Real People after then-NBC affiliate WROC dumped it for the syndicated Fame; the NBC rep who was quoted at the time was rather surprised to learn that we actually had another station that could clear the show.  So it can go either way.  I'm not sure whether or not compensation was involved in either case.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 03:11:19 PM by dzinkin »