Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cameos for Cash?  (Read 1984 times)

TimK2003

Cameos for Cash?
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:48:01 PM »
After watching the Gene Wood tribute on YouTube and seeing Richard mention "having to pay Gene extra for an on-camera appearance"...

1) How much extra did it really cost the producers, if anything, to show an announcer (and/or other assorted stagehands) on camera.

2) When did this rule come about and why?

3) Is it still in practice?  (I say this after seeing Rich Fields every so often during the show close --  he seems to want to get in the closing group shot as soon as he signs off to get a little extra in his paycheck, no?)

4) Is/Was there a similar rule as well for models who appear on stage but never speak -- that if they uttered anything that would constitute extra pay?

Matt Ottinger

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:05:24 PM »
Paging Randy West!

Randy West, white courtesy phone!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:38:55 PM »
Thanks Matt. It's fulfilling to know that my life's work can finally be of value!!!

The basic concept is that a professional performer working for scale (union minimum) should be compensated further if that performer makes a greater contribution to the entertainment value of a show. As such, a performer may be upgraded to a higher category (with a higher minimum pay) for an epsiode in which he or she performs a larger role.

So an off-camera announcer who performs on-camera is due a "bump" to the higher category. A model who speaks is given a bump; an "extra" (non-speaking role) who speaks a distinguishable line is due a bump. An "under-5" actor who is hired to perform 5 lines or less is due a bump if he/she ultimately performs more than 5 lines (The common phrase "under 5" is actually a misnomer, as 5-lines-or-less would literally be called an "under 6")

But the increase in pay due can be offset by the amount that the performer is paid overscale. As a result, you only see more money if you are working for the union minimum. If you work for higher pay than the scale payment for the higher category, you won't see any more money; it's "credited" against your overscale payment.

Confused? Then let's take the questions one at a time:

1) How much extra did it really cost the producers, if anything, to show an announcer (and/or other assorted stagehands) on camera.
Stagehands don't get more money for appearing or speaking because they are not professional performers. If they ultimately become regular performers on a show, they may then become professional performers, join AFTRA, and receive compensation for their performance.

The bump for an off-camera announcer who works for scale would be to the on-camera rate, which is in the neighborhood of 50% more. If the announcer's salary is over scale for his category of work, then it's likely that no more cash changes hands.

Because you want to know, Gene Wood usually worked for scale or slightly above. So the bump for an episode in which he spoke might be about 50% of the pay he was already making... in those years, likely $100-$200, in round numbers.

2) When did this rule come about and why?
Scale compensation for different categories of performance began with the introduction of AFRA (before "T"elevision) 70+ years ago. New categories were added with the advent of television in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The "why" is explained above.

3) Is it still in practice?  (I say this after seeing Rich Fields every so often during the show close --  he seems to want to get in the closing group shot as soon as he signs off to get a little extra in his paycheck, no?)
I contribute to the Board and participate in other educational pursuits to help provide general information and historical perspective for others with interest or aspirations in the industry. But I don't feel it appropriate for me to comment on the particulars of another living performer's employment, any more than I would appreciate their commenting on the particulars of my employment, without my permission.

4) Is/Was there a similar rule as well for models who appear on stage but never speak -- that if they uttered anything that would constitute extra pay?
Yes.

And that's probably more that you expected to hear   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 11:46:47 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TimK2003

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:18:39 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'140480\' date=\'Dec 14 2006, 12:38 AM\']

I contribute to the Board and participate in other educational pursuits to help provide general information and historical perspective for others with interest or aspirations in the industry. But I don't feel it appropriate for me to comment on the particulars of another living performer's employment, any more than I would appreciate their commenting on the particulars of my employment, without my permission.

Yes.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

I understand & respect your code of ethics regarding your fellow tradesmen, but I see you may have left the door open a crack...So may we use use Johnny Olsen as an example??? :

Would it be safe to assume that during his heyday at TPiR, Johnny O. had a contract which earned him more than minimum scale and thus he could be used a lot on camera (either to announce the next contestant and/or to 'star' in a showcase skit)?  And would it also be safe to assume that whenever Johnny O. announced on other G/T shows (like I've Got A Secret), he probably was at (or closer to) minimum scale which made him a little extra coinage whenever he came on camera to help set something up?

And as far as "seen and not heard" modeling jobs go, would it be safe to assume that the only time a model, or a silent assistant (i.e. Vanna White -- The Early Years), would get the wage bump is if they say something more than just two or three words (i.e. saying "Bye Bye" at the end of a show with the rest of the cast &/or the host -- that would *not* be eligible for the bump, correct)?

tvrandywest

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:19:40 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'140483\' date=\'Dec 13 2006, 09:18 PM\']
Would it be safe to assume that during his heyday at TPiR, Johnny O. had a contract which earned him more than minimum scale and thus he could be used a lot on camera (either to announce the next contestant and/or to 'star' in a showcase skit)?  And would it also be safe to assume that whenever Johnny O. announced on other G/T shows (like I've Got A Secret), he probably was at (or closer to) minimum scale which made him a little extra coinage whenever he came on camera to help set something up?[/quote] Safe assumptions, indeed! Working for Jonathan Goodson, just this year I received a wonderful gift. A bunch of old files were being tossed and a staffer who knows my passionate respect for Johnny O saved original signed copies of contracts between Goodson-Todman and Johnny! Apparently they remained in Jonathan's  files from when he worked for his dad.

And as far as "seen and not heard" modeling jobs go, would it be safe to assume that the only time a model, or a silent assistant (i.e. Vanna White -- The Early Years), would get the wage bump is if they say something more than just two or three words (i.e. saying "Bye Bye" at the end of a show with the rest of the cast &/or the host -- that would *not* be eligible for the bump, correct)?
My interpretation of the AFTRA code calls for a "bump" with any intelligible utterance by a cast member in a non-speaking role. There are only 3 possibilities, (1) The performer was being paid above scale, which resulted in no payment being due, (2) payment was calculated for each episode in which the performer spoke, or (3) the performer and producer both "let it slide".

As a general rule, it's a safe assumption that a model who spoke/speaks regularly was/is being paid at least scale for a speaking role... Vanna, Summer Bartholomew, etc etc

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:22:35 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

davemackey

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'140480\' date=\'Dec 13 2006, 11:38 PM\']
Stagehands don't get more money for appearing or speaking because they are not professional performers. If they ultimately become regular performers on a show, they may then become professional performers, join AFTRA, and receive compensation for their performance.
[/quote]
In terms of the ol' Gong Show, that would explain guys like Gene-Gene and Father Ed, who both started as IATSE stage crew. But what about pit musicians who grow into larger roles in a show, such as when Joe Howard put on that diaper and the "WALTAH" banner or Billy Neale with his nasal singing? Are those guys represented by AFTRA already or are they under AFM jurisdiction?

tpirfan28

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 09:20:08 AM »
It's always nice to have someone who has experience with this to be here!

Anyway, could this explain why Rod and Rich don't get camera time during a calldown anymore?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvrandywest

Cameos for Cash?
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'140498\' date=\'Dec 14 2006, 03:56 AM\'] In terms of the ol' Gong Show, that would explain guys like Gene-Gene and Father Ed, who both started as IATSE stage crew. But what about pit musicians who grow into larger roles in a show, such as when Joe Howard put on that diaper and the "WALTAH" banner or Billy Neale with his nasal singing? Are those guys represented by AFTRA already or are they under AFM jurisdiction?
[/quote] The musicians on The Gong Show were under AFM jurisdiction. I don't know their contract provisions, but if it reads like AFTRA's coverage for singers there would be provisions for solo or "step out" bumps from a group rate. But that's merely conjecture. I have no clue about the compensation for the specific musicians you mention.

It's always nice to have someone who has experience with this to be here! Anyway, could this explain why Rod and Rich don't get camera time during a calldown anymore?
Thanks. I'm happy to help with general information. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not comfortable commenting on other living performers' deals. I'm also respectful in regard to disclosing personal information about brethren who have passed on, and sensitive to commenting on the policies of my employers, i.e. Fremantle.

All that said, I can tell you with certainty that Rod made well over scale and the decision to no longer give him camera time was not related to compensation.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:16:18 PM by tvrandywest »