Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1v100  (Read 7413 times)

Clay Zambo

1v100
« on: December 16, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
...the writing's getting more entertaining.  The questions don't seem much tougher, but I was amused by quite a few of them on last night's show.
czambo@mac.com

tvmitch

1v100
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:07:07 PM »
I agree about the pacing, yes...but the question writing is getting really good. Especially that static electricity question. I didn't think that question could be that easy!
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

1v100
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 02:13:31 PM »
Our old friend Aaron Solomon, a Usenet regular once upon a time, wasn't with the 1 vs 100 staff originally, and has joined them in recent weeks.  Coincidence?  Don't think so.

For those of you who don't know, Aaron's a highly sought-after writer whose credits have included Family Feud, 21, Weakest Link, Pyramid and Show Me the Money.  He's even consulted on some of the Survivor games.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

1v100
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 02:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140748\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 02:13 PM\']
Our old friend Aaron Solomon, a Usenet regular once upon a time, wasn't with the 1 vs 100 staff originally, and has joined them in recent weeks.  Coincidence?  Don't think so.
[/quote]

Not at all.  I'm sure of there's a causal link here.  (Wasn't going to out AS, but I guess it's just as well, since many of us have now become highly ineligible to play the game.)
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1v100
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140748\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 11:13 AM\']
For those of you who don't know, Aaron's a highly sought-after writer whose credits have included Family Feud, 21, Weakest Link, Pyramid and Show Me the Money.
[/quote]
He doesn't actually use the latter two on his resume, does he? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

1v100
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 04:15:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'140752\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 02:32 PM\']
(Wasn't going to out AS, but I guess it's just as well, since many of us have now become highly ineligible to play the game.)[/quote]
Only reason I did is because his name appears in the credits, so it's not as though it's a secret.

Clay Zambo

1v100
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140771\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 04:15 PM\']
Only reason I [named him] is because his name appears in the credits, so it's not as though it's a secret.
[/quote]

Good point.
czambo@mac.com

bwood

1v100
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 01:36:55 AM »
I think the show is getting better as time goes on, and hope it continues to get renewed.

I saw the first home game based on 1 v. 100 at Wal-Mart tonight and picked it up for about $8.50. It's the 1 vs. 100 Card Game by Cardinal. It's in the same metal case as the DOND one. I haven't got much into it yet, but it looks like you just answer questions and draw cards to see how many mob members you knock out, up to 12 rounds. Rules are based on the 1st version of the show (money tree starts at $100, get two helps). I basically just got it as a novelty item, and if it was more than $10 I wasn't going to get it. The good thing is that it does feature some of the cleverly written questions like:
"A video game is rated 'EC', who is it directed towards? The age group that favors 'Lost', The age group that favors 'Pokemon', The age group that favors 'Teletubbies'"
Pretty much a way for Cardinal to make a quick buck, but it doesn't look too bad.

Craig Karlberg

1v100
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 03:24:36 AM »
That's diffrent.  Now we have a 1vs100 home game.  It won't be long before the other variations jump in(board game, PC game, handheld & DVD).  At least the card game sounds like a good buy at $8.50 a pop.  If indeed it's based on the game itself, I'm practically sold on it.

I too noticed that the questions on the show are getting more clever.  Two of my favorittes came from the last episode(the carpet salesman bit with the desserts & the static electricity one involving Grandma).  They also did a question after the guy walked with a lot of money.  That's the first I've seen that happen.  I'm pretty sure this was the first time they did that unless they did it before but were edited out for some reason.

davidhammett

1v100
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 03:56:47 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'140768\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 03:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140748\' date=\'Dec 16 2006, 11:13 AM\']
For those of you who don't know, Aaron's a highly sought-after writer whose credits have included Family Feud, 21, Weakest Link, Pyramid and Show Me the Money.
[/quote]
He doesn't actually use the latter two on his resume, does he? :)
[/quote]
Actually, on Pyramid he was not only a writer but the judge.  Certainly there were times when I disagreed with one of his rulings (which were usually based on earlier conversations he'd had with the producer), but I cringe to think what the show would have been like if he had not been there.

On the other hand, I know exactly what it would've been like... one that I could've been a contestant on.  Grrrrr...

clemon79

1v100
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 04:06:32 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'140805\' date=\'Dec 17 2006, 12:56 AM\']
Actually, on Pyramid he was not only a writer but the judge.
[/quote]
HE was the one letting people write a book in the Winner's Circle?

Oh, that makes me very sad, indeed. I realize he was probably following orders, but...man. I dunno if I could look in the mirror in the morning.

(Oh, wait, I work at Microsoft. Strike that last part. :))

Matt Ottinger

1v100
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »
David, polite as ever, is being a little circumspect, so let me be more blunt.  Aaron is one of us.  Aaron understands the way Pyramid should be played.  Aaron was following orders from the people who were signing his checks, which is a pretty smart way to stay employed.  Still, he fought, and to the degree that the show ever got close to the original spirit of the game, we probably have Aaron to thank.

clemon79

1v100
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 02:50:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140822\' date=\'Dec 17 2006, 08:36 AM\']
David, polite as ever, is being a little circumspect, so let me be more blunt.  Aaron is one of us.  Aaron understands the way Pyramid should be played.  Aaron was following orders from the people who were signing his checks, which is a pretty smart way to stay employed.[/quote]
No, I realize this, and I'm probably being over-hard on him. (<Sean Connery> He said "hard on". </SC>) But it saddens me that the game-show climate is such that we can have one of our own on the inside and the result STILL ends up being utter crap.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
1v100
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 02:58:05 PM »
I think it's going to take more than just one to make a difference.

They also did a question after the guy walked with a lot of money. That's the first I've seen that happen. I'm pretty sure this was the first time they did that unless they did it before but were edited out for some reason.

I'm betting since they decided that his game was going to be its own episode and they were running short (gasp!) they had to do something, so that seemed like the best option (and probably was).

Yeah, the questions may not be tough (although they're getting up there), but they look tougher, and that's probably the desired goal.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy Owen

1v100
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 03:45:20 PM »
One of the problems with total conformity for the sake of a paycheck is that if the show is bad the paycheck will go away too.  I wish Aaron had been able to convince the producers to do Pyramid correctly.  The show might still be on today.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.