Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USA TODAY article on game show trend  (Read 4744 times)

Matt Ottinger

USA TODAY article on game show trend
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »
Two neat treats for game show fans in Monday's LIFE section of USA TODAY.  The cover story is an article about the latest push for new game shows, describing their family-friendly appeal and relative low cost compared to scripted series.  Nothing we don't already know, including the potential for overexposure, but it's nice to see a positive article about our shows.

Also in the section is a profile of John O'Hurley. Astonishingly, the main article doesn't identify him as the host of Family Feud.  That's only mentioned in a sidebar item, where they also mention that TPIR producers have "come a-knockin" with interest in him as Barker's replacement.

Both articles are available here.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WhammyPower

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140900\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 02:51 PM\'] They also mention that TPIR producers have "come a-knockin" with interest in him as Barker's replacement.[/quote]
And now we know for sure that Dave Price is NOT official.

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 05:50:15 PM »
O'Hurley has been mentioned as well as one of the TPIR live stage hosts (not Todd Newton).

I keep hearing if O'Hurley is offered and takes the Price gig, they will have to find someone to replace him on Feud.

Who says he couldn't do both?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

WhammyPower

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:56:24 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'140911\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 04:50 PM\'] O'Hurley has been mentioned as well as one of the TPIR live stage hosts (not Todd Newton).

I keep hearing if O'Hurley is offered and takes the Price gig, they will have to find someone to replace him on Feud.

Who says he couldn't do both? [/quote]
He would be working 6 days a week in LA.  I don't think he'd be willing to do that.

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:16:34 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'140912\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 05:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'140911\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 04:50 PM\'] O'Hurley has been mentioned as well as one of the TPIR live stage hosts (not Todd Newton).

Who says he couldn't do both? [/quote]
He would be working 6 days a week in LA.  I don't think he'd be willing to do that.
[/quote]

I'm sure there would be weeks where he wouldn't be working at all. We're assuming they are keeping a 4 day Price taping schedule which I can't see them keeping come June.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 06:17:04 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MitchJoseph2004

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »
I don't think it's the time to devulge into what the taping schedule may be yet... things are still very premature in the process.
But overall, this is very good news compared to the Dave Price rumors. And they may not need an audition from O'Hurley because of his prior hosting experiences.

tpirfan28

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:38:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'140900\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 03:51 PM\']
Also in the section is a profile of John O'Hurley. Astonishingly, the main article doesn't identify him as the host of Family Feud.  That's only mentioned in a sidebar item, where they also mention that TPIR producers have "come a-knockin" with interest in him as Barker's replacement.

Both articles are available here.
[/quote]
Christmas has come early.  This, even if he doesn't try out, is excellent news.  It's telling us that kingpin Les Moonves won't be calling every single shot, and that the TPiR producers have a great heads on their shoulders.

Oh...one other small thing...this also means two things on the Dave Price front.  It's not official (as someone previously said), and now that someone mentioned O'Hurley, there's a pretty good chance now that Dave doesn't have a chance...regardless.

O'Hurley has been mentioned as well as one of the TPIR live stage hosts (not Todd Newton).

Who says he couldn't do both?
I'll take the third part second, the first part first, and the second part third.

First part...please be David Ruprecht.

Third part...it would be too weird.  And wouldn't there be the possibilty that he would be competing against himself in some markets, even for both half hours?

Second part...Dave Price could host Family Feud. joke.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 10:01:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'140931\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 09:38 PM\']
Christmas has come early.  This, even if he doesn't try out, is excellent news.  It's telling us that kingpin Les Moonves won't be calling every single shot, and that the TPiR producers have a great heads on their shoulders.

Oh...one other small thing...this also means two things on the Dave Price front.  It's not official (as someone previously said), and now that someone mentioned O'Hurley, there's a pretty good chance now that Dave doesn't have a chance...regardless.

[/quote]

To paraphrase one of John O'Hurley's "Family Feud" promotional spots...

"When they asked me to if I wanted to host 'The Price Is Right', I said....
...Pay to the order of John O'Hurley!!!"

Here's hoping that the aforementioned Christmas Wish comes true... :-)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 10:09:37 PM »
While I would like to see John O'Hurley on TPIR, there are two things that temper my enthusiasm.  One is the ratings for Feud are off from last season.  The other is that Dave Price recently signed a somewhat substantial contract with CBS to do additional work besides "The Early Show."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 10:10:52 PM »
Wouldn't you think Mr. Barker would have some say in this?  Just a little?

/Couldn't find the O'Hurley article
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'140945\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 10:10 PM\']
Wouldn't you think Mr. Barker would have some say in this?  Just a little?

[/quote]

Honestly, no.  I don't even think Bob wants to retire.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mystery7

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 10:26:16 PM »
Here's the new improved link to both stories:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/front.htm

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:44:23 AM »
Good articles, and getting O'Hurley's name out there doesn't hurt.

They should be doing runthroughs, and if Price can't handle the job, I don't think he'll get it.  TPIR is a tough show to do -- even Tom Kennedy admitted his problems with it, and he handled virtually every format around -- and someone at CBS or Fremantle must have lingering memories of Rolf Benirschke.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 01:26:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'140947\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 10:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'140945\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 10:10 PM\']
Wouldn't you think Mr. Barker would have some say in this?  Just a little?[/quote]

Honestly, no.  I don't even think Bob wants to retire.[/quote]

So you think an Executive Producer of The Price is Right doesn't have a say?  Perhaps this is naive of me, but I can't possibly think that someone else can be exculsively calling the shots.

The O'Hurley article was nice.  I should probably buy the book, animal lover that I am.  It at least sounds entertaining.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 01:53:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'140976\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 10:26 PM\']
So you think an Executive Producer of The Price is Right doesn't have a say?  Perhaps this is naive of me, but I can't possibly think that someone else can be exculsively calling the shots.
[/quote]
The mind boggles.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe