Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Posted a few goodies on YouTube  (Read 16169 times)

BrandonFG

Posted a few goodies on YouTube
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2007, 12:55:57 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'142313\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 12:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'thunder2007\' post=\'142241\' date=\'Jan 5 2007, 01:38 AM\']
YES PLEASE post a clip from the small pyramid board.
[/quote]

Here you go...note the odd color scheme that was used for a few episodes after the monitors debuted? :)
[/quote]
Thanks for the clips. I like that they eventually went back to the red and gold pyramid setup instead of that blue and white. Would've been a nice effect had they used black lettering on a white background again, but it's neither here nor there.

About Davidson...I haven't seen this show in 15 years, except for that "THINGS THAT ARE STIFF" clip, where he jokingly yells out "Are we still on the air?". That one clip tells me how ill at ease he was, and that was 1:10. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2007, 01:59:50 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'142313\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 12:02 AM\']I've also added one more opening with the alternate light pattern, which I thought looked great.[/quote]
They used that pattern for a couple of weeks fairly early in the '80s $25K run. I remember Dick Clark saying something along the lines of "I've done this show for almost ten years, and I never noticed that those lights do that." Except for the fact that the lights had only been doing that particular pattern for about two days, and that the lights hadn't been doing ANY sort of pattern like that for more than a few months, he was right on target. :)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Kevin Prather

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »
Just so I'm sure, when you refer to the "alternate light pattern," the only difference is the trilons' light pattern, right? Not the border lights?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2007, 02:40:47 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'142330\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 09:35 AM\']
Just so I'm sure, when you refer to the "alternate light pattern," the only difference is the trilons' light pattern, right? Not the border lights?
[/quote]
I'm fairly sure he's referring to the "animation" pattern on the WC Pyramid, which went bottom THEN middle THEN top, instead of bottom PLUS middle PLUS top.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ITSBRY

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2007, 02:59:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'142333\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 02:40 PM\']
I'm fairly sure he's referring to the "animation" pattern on the WC Pyramid,
[/quote]

Actually, the chasing light pattern around the Pyramid is different too. Three on, one off as oppossed to two on, one off is the best way I can think of to describe it. It's a little easier to see if you look at the arches on either side of the WC.

If you look closely, the lights "travel" in a different direction on the arches and on the points of the $100,000 crown as well. That's what always makes me think of this as the Bizarro world Pyramid. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:20:56 PM by ITSBRY »

thunder2007

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
THanks for the new youtube clips. I would love to see a winners circle round if possible even if the audio is not in sync.

thanks

golden-road

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2007, 03:31:55 PM »
Just saw the clip of the "monitor" board, and I have to say, IMO, not bad. I'm probably one of the few who liked it. Had some questions though:

1. As far as Double Trouble goes, were they seven random phrases, or did they have a common link?

2. Was there any different font used for Double Trouble, or did it come with the change to monitors.

3. What exactly did the "Gamble" card looked like?

4. For that matter, when the board switched, did the 7-11 & Mystery 7 retain their fonts?

5. I noticed that the "$100,000" sign didn't flash with the rest of the lights. Did it ever flash and if so, when?

6. Didn't Dick Clark do a pre-taped greeting on the first show?

7. I know about the normal opening "This is the Winner's Circle...", and the tournament opening "The first one of these players to make it to the top of the pyramid...", but when do we hear "If someone makes it to the top of this pyramid in less then XX seconds, they could win $100,000"?

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:50:30 PM by golden-road »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'142335\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 11:59 AM\']
If you look closely, the lights "travel" in a different direction on the arches and on the points of the $100,000 crown as well. That's what always makes me think of this as the Bizarro world Pyramid. :)
[/quote]
I noticed that too, I just didn't worry overmuch about what I consider to be ludicrously minor details.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Pyramids

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2007, 03:46:26 PM »
Yes, Dick Clark made a taped appearance on the first show from the set of the 'Challangers.'

I was wondering if this show had a problem with celebrity players? From the episode guide I've seen an effort was made to recruit new ones.

ITSBRY

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2007, 08:15:37 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'142337\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 03:31 PM\']
Had some questions
[/quote]

Don't know the answers to all of these, but I'll answer the ones I do know.

1. As far as Double Trouble goes, were they seven random phrases, or did they have a common link?

Random...some examples from the episode I have are, "Kitchen Sink", "Bald Eagle", "Paper Towel". They had 45 seconds to get seven and each team had to take one.

2. Was there any different font used for Double Trouble, or did it come with the change to monitors.

No, it was the same. I think DT was around before the monitors, but it wasn't there from the beginning as I recall.

3. What exactly did the "Gamble" card looked like?

Similar to the DT cards in font/color, but it just said "Gamble for a Grand" or "Gamble for Paris"...whatever the prize was. There was no Pyramid icon on it.

4. For that matter, when the board switched, did the 7-11 & Mystery 7 retain their fonts?

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think 7-11 was used in this version (at least not in any of the episodes I  have seen). I think Gamble/Mystery/DT were the only bonus cards...someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

5. I noticed that the "$100,000" sign didn't flash with the rest of the lights. Did it ever flash and if so, when?

Someone else posted a tournament win on youtube...the sign flashes in that clip, but I don't know if flashed any other time.

6. Didn't Dick Clark do a pre-taped greeting on the first show?

Thanks to whoever answered this. I don't have/never saw the first episode. I wasn't aware of that...very cool!

7. I know about the normal opening "This is the Winner's Circle...", and the tournament opening "The first one of these players to make it to the top of the pyramid...", but when do we hear "If someone makes it to the top of this pyramid in less then XX seconds, they could win $100,000"?

Not sure about this one.

Thanks for your help!

Pleasure! Happy I could share this and give a little back in appreciation for everyone out there that has freely shared their stuff. It's certainly appreciated and enjoyed. :)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 11:08:10 PM »
Re: Double Trouble:
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'142346\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 08:15 PM\']Random...some examples from the episode I have are, "Kitchen Sink", "Bald Eagle", "Paper Towel". They had 45 seconds to get seven and each team had to take one.[/quote]
Oh, I bet Mr. Davidson did well with that last part.

"Okay, Julie, your team can take either HERE'S JOHNNY or DOUBLE TROUBLE 2--"
(yelling offstage)
"What? She has to take that one?"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

pyrfan

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2007, 12:43:28 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'142346\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 09:15 PM\']
I don't think 7-11 was used in this version (at least not in any of the episodes I  have seen). I think Gamble/Mystery/DT were the only bonus cards...someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.[/quote]

For the first 14 weeks of the show, the 7-11 was used in the first round on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The Mystery 7 was played in the second round of the above days, plus the first round on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with the Double Troubles being the bonus cards played in the second round on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

After the second tournament, the Gamble for a Grand replaced the 7-11 altogether  -- except, for some reason, the Wednesday show of the Audrey Landers/Stuart Pankin week. During the last six weeks of non-tournament play, the Gamble card was being used in place of the Mystery 7 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but instead of Gamble for a Grand, it was always a more expensive trip than was usually offered in the Mystery 7.

I know about the normal opening "This is the Winner's Circle...", and the tournament opening "The first one of these players to make it to the top of the pyramid...", but when do we hear "If someone makes it to the top of this pyramid in less then XX seconds, they could win $100,000"?

They started using this opening once they had three contestants complete the winner's circle successfully during that qualifying period.

Brendan

pyrfan

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2007, 12:45:41 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'142339\' date=\'Jan 6 2007, 04:46 PM\']
Yes, Dick Clark made a taped appearance on the first show from the set of the 'Challangers.'

I was wondering if this show had a problem with celebrity players? From the episode guide I've seen an effort was made to recruit new ones.
[/quote]
I thought they did a pretty good job of rounding up a lot of the old gang, and almost all of them mentioned how happy they were to be back on the show. Notable absences, though, were Nipsey Russell (this was the first version of "Pyramid" that he didn't appear on as a guest), Markie Post, Charlie Siebert, Dick Cavett, and Shelley Smith. I do have to wonder how much of that was because Dick was no longer hosting the show. During the Landers/Pankin week, there are times when Stuart Pankin seemed to be getting visibly frustrated with John's hosting style, and it's possible that others might have felt the same way as Stuart and decided not to do the new version. Just a theory, though.

Brendan

HYHYBT

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
Similar to the DT cards in font/color, but it just said "Gamble for a Grand" or "Gamble for Paris"...whatever the prize was. There was no Pyramid icon on it.
Picking nits on nits: only on Gamble for a Grand. When it was for a prize, it was just typed out like any other category on the dark blue background.

Just saw the clip of the "monitor" board, and I have to say, IMO, not bad. I'm probably one of the few who liked it.
I liked it OK, but the lettering was too small. Even changing to showing a close-up of the board only when a category was picked, then moving over the podium instead of getting both together it was harder to read. The reveal at the beginning of the round was a nice touch, rather than their just being there. Mostly it was that first week with the blue-on-blue that put me off.
As far as Double Trouble goes, were they seven random phrases, or did they have a common link?
This one's already been answered, of course; I just had to mention how few people had the sense to play it like any other category and describe the phrases. For some reason, the first half of the run they'd describe the first word, then the second, then get the partner to put the two together making it nearly impossible even in 45 seconds.
Was there any different font used for Double Trouble, or did it come with the change to monitors.
It looked the same before the switch, except red lettering on a white background.
For that matter, when the board switched, did the 7-11 & Mystery 7 retain their fonts?
The Mystery 7 looked the same: "Mystery" curved over the top of a 7, red on light blue on the monitors, red (not orange like on Dick Clark's version) on the trilons. 7-11 also looked the same but red on the trilons and, as already mentioned, was never played on the monitors. For some reason, neither flashed when it was picked.
I noticed that the "$100,000" sign didn't flash with the rest of the lights. Did it ever flash and if so, when?
It flashed only for big wins, normally, though there is at least one episode where it's flashing during the open. It looked good reproportioned; the previous "$100,000" sign was cramped into space designed for 25. What bothered me was that they seemed unable to light (as in shine lights on) the top of the Pyramid. It looked all wrong sitting up there in the dark with the rest of the set so bright and cheery.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:04:57 PM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

golden-road

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »
Just got done rewatching the clips, and had two questions:

1. How do you think Dick Clark would do with the changes as far as the Gamble & Double Trouble?

2. I know that Orbis Communications syndicated the show, but I also heard that Multimedia Entertainment took over syndication midway through the run. Did the Multimedia logo ever appear, and who does own Davidson Pyramid?