Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Year's Rockin' Eve...  (Read 6351 times)

TimK2003

New Year's Rockin' Eve...
« on: December 31, 2006, 08:54:25 PM »
Does anyone know if Dick Clark will make an appearance tonight on the New Year's Rockin' Eve Show?  

As of Saturday Night, I have heard conflicting reports.  One source I heard (Mark Simone @ WABC-AM) said that he may not make an appearance at all, given this was the first time he did not attend the annual NYRE press conference/Q & A session.

I heard another source say that no decision will be made until right before airtime -- and if he does appear, he decides how long or short he wants to be on (similar to last year).

Here's hoping that he will make a noteworthy appearance and that he will sound & look stronger than last year!

/Can you tell I aint too fond of Ryan Seacrest?
//And American Idol starts up again in 2 weeks...aaarrrgh!!

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:08:52 PM »
Tim, hope is a wonderful thing, but the fact is that Dick is no better than what he was at the Emmys no matter how Seacrest spun it in the AP report I read on the air Friday afternoon.  It'll be good to see Dick, but like last year, part of me really doesn't want to see him when he is unable to harness the full capabilities of his brilliant mind.

For what it's worth, if you're looking for an alternative and live anywhere in the northeastern Comcast corridor, the man who should be the next host of The Price is Right, Todd Newton, is emceeing "Celebrate '07" on CN8 as I speak.  I do believe it also is streaming online at www.cn8.tv.

Casey Buck

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:37:15 PM »

rebelwrest

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 12:06:35 AM »
Well thank goodness Dick Clark was at the helm for one of the biggest parties of the year.

This year he started his countdown and was two seconds behind (at which I thought he would miss the countdown), but just as 2007 hit, Dick sped up his countdown and came right on cue.

Here's to one of the last great entertainers in our time.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:07:16 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'141802\' date=\'Dec 31 2006, 09:08 PM\']Tim, hope is a wonderful thing, but the fact is that Dick is no better than what he was at the Emmys no matter how Seacrest spun it in the AP report I read on the air Friday afternoon.  [/quote]
Well, that statement couldn't be more wrong.  At least in my humble opinion, Dick looked the best that I've seen him since the stroke, and was certainly a lot more involved in the proceedings this time around.  I don't think any of us ever expect to see him anywhere close to the best of his abilities ever again, but this was nothing short of remarkable.

EDIT: And it just got better. Pretty boy Seacrest just got a friendly dressing-down from the master because he came inside early to get out of a few sprinkles.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:12:55 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 12:14:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141815\' date=\'Jan 1 2007, 12:07 AM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'141802\' date=\'Dec 31 2006, 09:08 PM\']Tim, hope is a wonderful thing, but the fact is that Dick is no better than what he was at the Emmys no matter how Seacrest spun it in the AP report I read on the air Friday afternoon.  [/quote]
Well, that statement couldn't be more wrong.  At least in my humble opinion, Dick looked the best that I've seen him since the stroke, and was certainly a lot more involved in the proceedings this time around.  I don't think any of us ever expect to see him anywhere close to the best of his abilities ever again, but this was nothing short of remarkable.
[/quote]

Matt, I'm amazed by Dick as much as anyone here, and while there were more glimmers of the old Dick (vocally and with various hand motions), he's still as confined as ever and will be the rest of his life, as you and most others know.  I guess, it's me wanting the old Dick to just tell off Seacrest or something...or maybe it's that leftover egg nog getting to me.  Anyway, God Bless Dick and to all you folks here, Happy New Year, may it be the best and brightest year ever.

EDIT to Matt's EDIT: He's still got the humor.  And now he has the night off.  Last year he hung around throughout the midnight hour.  This year he seems to be gone after 12:15 to have some din din.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:18:27 AM by FOXSportsFan »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 12:25:16 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'141818\' date=\'Jan 1 2007, 12:14 AM\']Matt, I'm amazed by Dick as much as anyone here, and while there were more glimmers of the old Dick (vocally and with various hand motions), he's still as confined as ever and will be the rest of his life, as you and most others know.  I guess, it's me wanting the old Dick to just tell off Seacrest or something...or maybe it's that leftover egg nog getting to me.  Anyway, God Bless Dick and to all you folks here, Happy New Year, may it be the best and brightest year ever.[/quote]
First, yes, God bless everybody.  Secondly, believe me that I join with you and everyone else in my disappointment that Dick will never be what he once was.  Still, what I saw tonight was significant improvement over his Emmy appearance.  Therefore, when you say "the fact is that Dick is no better than what he was at the Emmys," I think Dick proved that statement wrong tonight.  And I think that's cause for celebration.  

I also hope you were watching when Dick DID give Seacrest an earful.  All in fun, of course, but he did make it clear that it would have taken a lot more than a few raindrops to drive him indoors in the old days.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 12:32:57 AM »
I certainly did catch it, Matt.  I've recorded NYRE for posterity sake over the years off and on...and it's year 1 with the new Sylvania DVD recorder (insert some Bud Collyer reference to Sylvania's blue dot for sure shot flash bulbs here).  For me, the program is all downhill from here.  The entertainment lineup, though it may be comprised of mostly popular for my generation, doesn't wow me much.  Now, if the notorious P.O.B. was on the scene...we might have something.  P.O.B. - what a...guy?

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 12:36:51 AM »
Here's my take...

Dick sounds better than he did last year, and he sounds closer to his old self, but he still has trouble completing sentences without running out of breath.  He had minor difficulty keeping up with the countdown, but he hit zero at just the right moment. He was somewhat more animated, moving his hands more and smiling more, and his best moment was when Ryan joined him in the studio. He teased Ryan about getting too cold and running into the studio to get warm. It showed that Dick is still Dick, even if he has difficulty speaking. However, it looks like Dick sort of disappeared 10 minutes after midnight, leaving Ryan in the studio for the rest of the show.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 12:38:37 AM »
More geared to the actual broadcasting geeks out there, someone posted on Radio Info the precautionary stuff about tonight's broadcast should the live feed go down or breaking news occur.  For broadcasting geeks or curious folk, check it out here .

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 12:43:39 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'141824\' date=\'Dec 31 2006, 11:38 PM\'] More geared to the actual broadcasting geeks out there, someone posted on Radio Info the precautionary stuff about tonight's broadcast should the live feed go down or breaking news occur.  For broadcasting geeks or curious folk, check it out here . [/quote]

An episode of Brothers & Sisters was the standby?  Really?   Wow.

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 01:03:25 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'141818\' date=\'Jan 1 2007, 01:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141815\' date=\'Jan 1 2007, 12:07 AM\']
[/quote]

Matt, I'm amazed by Dick as much as anyone here, and while there were more glimmers of the old Dick (vocally and with various hand motions), he's still as confined as ever and will be the rest of his life, as you and most others know.  I guess, it's me wanting the old Dick to just tell off Seacrest or something...or maybe it's that leftover egg nog getting to me.  Anyway, God Bless Dick and to all you folks here, Happy New Year, may it be the best and brightest year ever.

EDIT to Matt's EDIT: He's still got the humor.  And now he has the night off.  Last year he hung around throughout the midnight hour.  This year he seems to be gone after 12:15 to have some din din.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information, guys!

As of this writing, I am still in the past (2006) and thought, since they aired the 1st part of the NYRE at 9pm Mountain, I would have seen Mr. Clark and 2007 by now, but I guess our local affiliate will welcome the New Year at the correct time, not an hour early like in the Central Time Zone.

So it sounds like it is worth it to stay up another hour, eh?  Okay, now where did I put that MG'74 episode from 12/31/74...?

BTW Happy New Year to All!!!

/I see that they still have those cheesy Hollywood studio segments which were probably taped a few weeks ago!
//I guess they do it to keep all the lip-synch fans happy.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 03:46:23 AM »
The impression I got from watching Dick was that he looked good enough to actually be in studio while Ryan handled things at Times Square pretty well.  When Dick started his countdown, the clock read 11:59:42 & I thought he's goona miss his mark, but when the ball dropped & 2007 lit up as Dick skipped over to the zero mark, it was pure magic watching all the confetti shower down on the crowd.  Even a few sprimkles couldn't stop Ryan from giving Christina Agulara a midnight kiss.  Clark's voice may not be the same as before, but he sure did make the most of his time there.  After the ball drop, I switched over to a diffrent network affiliate that was showing fireworks at Penn's Landing in Philladelphia.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 04:19:01 AM »
Agreed on Dick - HUGE strides over last year. He was gesturing with his hands, speaking a lot more clearly, they were able to take more than that stilted camera shot from last year with him - here's to more years with Dick & Ryan on Rockin Eve.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141820\' date=\'Dec 31 2006, 09:25 PM\']
Still, what I saw tonight was significant improvement over his Emmy appearance.  Therefore, when you say "the fact is that Dick is no better than what he was at the Emmys," I think Dick proved that statement wrong tonight.  And I think that's cause for celebration.  
[/quote]
Thank you. I saw exactly the same thing. Yeah, he's still slurring, of course he is, and he's never going to get back to 100%. But he looked and sounded WAY better than he did last year. It was fantastic to see.

And thank you, Jim, for your always-insightful commentary.

(And I'll point out that Dick's been doing the one post-midnight bit and then taking off for some years now, even before his stroke.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe