Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoND to add Double or Nothing feature  (Read 11864 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DoND to add Double or Nothing feature
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 01:11:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' post=\'142449\' date=\'Jan 7 2007, 09:56 PM\']
It's a fundamentally stupid concept.  If the player is willing to take that risk, that player would still be opening cases-- where the odds of losing everything are smaller.
[/quote]
Again, it wasn't bad on the Australian show. (For those who don't know, on the Australian show, you could risk any part of your money, you didn't have to go all or nothing.)

But NBC, true to form, said "we need to simplify this" and never bothered to sit down and really think about whether it works in practice.

And, once again, leave it to those numbnuts to make winning almost $100K feel like a loss when they play out the double/nothing thing and it turns out they would have hit the right one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

weaklink75

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
I think the Chance twist Austrailian DoND uses may have worked better here (she was left with $10 and $750K-the Banker could have offered her a 2nd chance at her case, giving back the 99K for it...)..but no one will ever take the DoN option unless they have a really small win, or they change the rules to allow them to gamble just a part of it (even a none-half-all option might entice some gambling)...

GS Warehouse

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'142429\' date=\'Jan 7 2007, 08:42 PM\']
I've got something better to do than to continue this bad run of song titles.

Don't I, Sam?

/Any who make a move on me for dredging up two obscure hits from the 1970s must be livin' in desparate times.
//Helps to have a Whitburn book handy.[/quote]
You have one too?  Then come on over.  If not for you, I'd be tied up trying to while away these summer nights.

Suddenly, I'm done with all this magic.  I highly doubt I'd ever tell a GSF member, "I honestly love you."

TimK2003

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'142542\' date=\'Jan 8 2007, 11:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'142429\' date=\'Jan 7 2007, 08:42 PM\']
I've got something better to do than to continue this bad run of song titles.

Don't I, Sam?

/Any who make a move on me for dredging up two obscure hits from the 1970s must be livin' in desparate times.
//Helps to have a Whitburn book handy.[/quote]
You have one too?  Then come on over.  If not for you, I'd be tied up trying to while away these summer nights.

Suddenly, I'm done with all this magic.  I highly doubt I'd ever tell a GSF member, "I honestly love you."
[/quote]

Give a little more love for these bad puns, and suddenly you're liable to give some of us a heart attack!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'142542\' date=\'Jan 8 2007, 09:45 PM\']
[/quote]
Let me be there when you do.

/Must. . .not. . .invoke. . ."If You Love Me, Let Me Know". . .people. . .will. . .talk.
//@#%$!

:-)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tpirfan28

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'142454\' date=\'Jan 8 2007, 01:11 AM\']
Again, it wasn't bad on the Australian show. (For those who don't know, on the Australian show, you could risk any part of your money, you didn't have to go all or nothing.)

But NBC, true to form, said "we need to simplify this" and never bothered to sit down and really think about whether it works in practice.

And, once again, leave it to those numbnuts to make winning almost $100K feel like a loss when they play out the double/nothing thing and it turns out they would have hit the right one.
[/quote]
Grr...I thought that's how it worked here in the US.  Didn't see the show, except for the last part, where all I saw was Howie instructing five of the models to open the megacase.  Didn't know you had to go all in or not at all.

I agree...there needs to be a system where you can wager how much you want to double.  I know, that if I had something like $350K (I know...a streatch for DoND contestants...), I'd probably risk like $25K or so...but not the whole bunch (again...a basic concept your average DoND contestant couldn't handle).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2007, 11:53:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'142454\' date=\'Jan 7 2007, 10:11 PM\']But NBC, true to form, said "we need to simplify this" and never bothered to sit down and really think about whether it works in practice.[/quote]"And on tonight's menu for one night only: Golden Goose Foie Gras." Are the ratings still good, or at least level? I have no idea why they keep trotting out these silly add-ons, unless (and this is the most obvious reason) they're out of ideas of how to prop up an uninteresting game.

Which I think it a fundamental flaw with the genre at this point. Watch a tournament episode of $100,000 Pyramid. When the Winner's Circle is played, Dick Clark must have been paid every time he said "$100,000" because he reminded everyone about the potential payoff every thirteen seconds. $100,000 is still a Big Deal, it needs to be treated as such. Even on Millionaire, Regis would mention how rare it was to get someone that high up, when it was actually a rare thing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:54:03 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Brig Bother

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2007, 12:12:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'142575\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 03:33 PM\']

I agree...there needs to be a system where you can wager how much you want to double.  I know, that if I had something like $350K (I know...a streatch for DoND contestants...), I'd probably risk like $25K or so...but not the whole bunch (again...a basic concept your average DoND contestant couldn't handle).
[/quote]

That would be hilariously anticlimactic. Your huge average payout counts against you here really.

uncamark

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2007, 12:34:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'142580\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 10:53 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'142454\' date=\'Jan 7 2007, 10:11 PM\']But NBC, true to form, said "we need to simplify this" and never bothered to sit down and really think about whether it works in practice.[/quote]"And on tonight's menu for one night only: Golden Goose Foie Gras." Are the ratings still good, or at least level? I have no idea why they keep trotting out these silly add-ons, unless (and this is the most obvious reason) they're out of ideas of how to prop up an uninteresting game.[/quote]

Monday nights are still solid.  Wednesday's too soon to tell (especially with "Idol" on the horizon).  Sunday night, it beat "60 Minutes" in the key demos and started a good evening for NBC until viewers saw Donald Trump at 9:30 and reached for the remote.

Speaking of which, TVG Interactive says that this Sunday night's "1v100" special will have Kenicke and Patty Simcox in the Mob (or Jeff Conaway and Susan Bruckner), along with members of Sha Na Na (I don't think including Jon Bauman) and former "Apprentice" contestants, including Omarosa.  Whippy dippy.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'142585\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 11:34 AM\']
Speaking of which, TVG Interactive says that this Sunday night's "1v100" special will have Kenicke and Patty Simcox in the Mob (or Jeff Conaway and Susan Bruckner), along with members of Sha Na Na (I don't think including Jon Bauman) and former "Apprentice" contestants, including Omarosa.  Whippy dippy.
[/quote]
Except that 1V100 probably won't air Sunday as scheduled--with Dubya speaking tomorrow apparently NBC is planning to air the displaced DoND in that slot.

At least there's a thread around here somewhere indicating that.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

scottua1

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'142586\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 12:38 PM\']
Except that 1V100 probably won't air Sunday as scheduled--with Dubya speaking tomorrow apparently NBC is planning to air the displaced DoND in that slot.

At least there's a thread around here somewhere indicating that.
[/quote]
Correct - no 1 vs. 100 Sunday. I posted that in the DoND pre-emption thread. I'm guessing TVG just hasn't been updated yet to reflect that change (which was just made last night).

wheelloon

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
Correct - no 1 vs. 100 Sunday. I posted that in the DoND pre-emption thread. I'm guessing TVG just hasn't been updated yet to reflect that change (which was just made last night).

Did I also see on NBC that on the episode that was supposed to be on Sunday, 1v100 was supposed to have an "added twist" at the end of its game too? If so, lord, the C in NBC should stand for copy...

I'm with others, the wagering element in other countries would be better than a complete double or nothing on DoND. However, I think it's also possible if a "double or half" concept (2 cases: pick the wrong one, your winnings are cut in half) was used, there would likely be more takers.
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'142598\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 12:43 PM\']
However, I think it's also possible if a "double or half" concept (2 cases: pick the wrong one, your winnings are cut in half) was used, there would likely be more takers.
[/quote]
There would be more takers if you offer 2 to one odds instead of even money?

Back for the exciting Speed Round on Masters Of The Obvious right...after...THIS!

(That said, the guy who just won $300K is not gonna play, no way, no how. And the person who won $9000 is going to regardless of whether it's all or half. Which is the basic problem.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:58:18 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MrBuddwing

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »
Well, as long as we're visiting the Dept. of the Super Obvious: I don't know why on earth anyone would go for double or nothing. Yes yes yes, a chance to walk away with twice as much money and all that, but there were people on this board who seriously believed that, given the choice of two remaining cases - a million and a penny - a contestant would go for it instead of taking the $500,000 or so the banker was bound to offer. (Not!)

tvwxman

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'142600\' date=\'Jan 9 2007, 04:02 PM\']
Well, as long as we're visiting the Dept. of the Super Obvious: I don't know why on earth anyone would go for double or nothing. Yes yes yes, a chance to walk away with twice as much money and all that, but there were people on this board who seriously believed that, given the choice of two remaining cases - a million and a penny - a contestant would go for it instead of taking the $500,000 or so the banker was bound to offer. (Not!)
[/quote]
Which gives Endemol their next idea for a game show.

"Celebrity Coin Flip"

/John Davidson could host.
//Though i'm sure he'd still screw up the rules.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"