Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: classic concentration bonus round question  (Read 4765 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
classic concentration bonus round question
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
On the other hand, if they were loaded by a human, did they randomly place a different "orphan" on the board each time?  In theory, if you had 8 cars, and you wanted to save on the budget, if done by humans, they could more often than not set it up so the most expensive car did not match on the board.
Methinks Standards & Practices would have something to say about that.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »
There's nothing inherently unfair about choosing to make the most expensive car the "dud." The contestant is not disadvantaged in playing the game they're trying to win. That says nothing about if it was done this way or not, but something to think about before playing the S&P card. In fact, if it were setup by human hands, you could play with the contestants' normal tendency in playing the game. Ergo, you could put expensive cars in the early group of numbers, so they were less likely to be the contestant's final match. That's like putting the big slips in Punch a Bunch in "weird" spots.

-Jason
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:37:53 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
OK, maybe S&P wouldn't have something to say about that.  Although, to me gerrymandering is gerrymandering.  But that's why I'm not in the game show business.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
OK, maybe S&P wouldn't have something to say about that.  Although, to me gerrymandering is gerrymandering.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Gene Wood, at the top of the show, says "You could win one of these eight fabulous cars." And indeed, you can win one of them. Nobody tells you which one. (And in fact, by the rules of the game, it is true 100% of the time that you *can't* win one of them. They just don't talk about that.)

Now, is it disingenuous to make the eighth car a Ferrari Testarossa and then never make it a possible match? Probably. Does it make Gene or Alex's statements false, ever? In no way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
I doubt they were handpicked. Kinda like the Super Mario Bros. 3 memory bonus game--if you know where two of them are, you could know where they all are and pretty easily take NBC for a car. I doubt they would have made their bonus that beatable, especially post-Larsen.
As to the point about Toad's Matching Game, doesn't it take up a bunch less memory on the cart if you program just enough boards to keep things interesting, as opposed to having to seed the eighteen panels beforehand?
Yeah, especially for a minigame that shows up randomly on the board only about 5 times during the course of the game. And that's when you don't use the warp whistles and play most of the available stages. Might as well program six set boards, rather than program the system to randomly place the objects.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:10:57 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SRIV94

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »
Fair enough.  I withdraw the statement.

/Even though my foolishness will be on display for perpetuity.
Doug