Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndie DOND on back burner  (Read 4785 times)

entguy1

Syndie DOND on back burner
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
So says NBC, who's plugging Jerry Springer's bodyguard:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...y=Breaking+News

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »
Celebrity Jury?

The Jerry Springer Bodyguard Show?

Wow.

BUT....this is the most brilliant statment I've heard come out of Game Show Land in a VERY long time...

NBCU’s syndication plans for Deal were understood not to have been greeted warmly by NBC, which already carries the game multiple times per week. It feared that Deal could burn out like an over-exposed Who Wants to Be a Millionaire did on ABC in 1999-2000.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:43:39 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'142754\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 04:56 PM\']So says NBC, who's plugging Jerry Springer's bodyguard:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...y=Breaking+News[/quote]
When this little venture goes the way of Megan Mullally et al., who wants to bet that NBC/Universal will do anything it can to get Deal into syndication by January '08?  When the syndie version of Weakest Link debuted in Jan. '02, did it replace a cancelled NBC syndicated show?

I think putting Deal on the backburner is indeed for the best.  I can't see a syndicated version of the US game working with lowered stakes, while fudging with the format or bringing in a foreign version's setup, specifically how it's done in the UK, would be too confusing for the home audience.  ("Where are the models?", "Why is Clem from Buttrash, Montana on for the 20th straight day?", etc.)

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:55 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'142766\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 05:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'142754\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 04:56 PM\']So says NBC, who's plugging Jerry Springer's bodyguard:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...y=Breaking+News[/quote]
When this little venture goes the way of Megan Mullally et al., who wants to bet that NBC/Universal will do anything it can to get Deal into syndication by January '08?  When the syndie version of Weakest Link debuted in Jan. '02, did it replace a cancelled NBC syndicated show?[/quote]

IIRC, I don't think so, unless it was the Jane Pauley show, of which I can't remember the year that was on.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:51:52 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'142810\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 10:47 PM\']
IIRC, I don't think so, unless it was the Jane Pauley show, of which I can't remember the year that was on.
[/quote]
04-05
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

NickS

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:19:25 AM »
What I'm curious to see is if Roger King decides to bring out the Joker/Combination duo for NATPE or a little later after that now that this has been announced.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »
Variety.com is reporting that Roger King has decided against bringing Joker/Lock to NATPE.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BobbyLankford_83

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
DAMN! I was expecting to see TJW/Combination Lock this fall. I guess better luck next time for those two shows.

I'd rather see those than that courtroom crap or Jerry Springer any day.

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'142766\' date=\'Jan 10 2007, 06:43 PM\']
I can't see a syndicated version of the US game working with lowered stakes, while fudging with the format or bringing in a foreign version's setup, specifically how it's done in the UK, would be too confusing for the home audience.  ("Where are the models?", "Why is Clem from Buttrash, Montana on for the 20th straight day?", etc.)
[/quote]
Simple...knock the number of cases down to 22, like UK Deal, but keep the models.

I don't remember if this happened or not, but was Meredith's syndie Millionaire ever on when Reege's original Millionaire was on?  That would have been overexposure.

OBFamily:  My sister was born on July 11, 2000.  Better known to this forum as David Goodman's $1M win, and the win that was the basis for the $2.18M jackpot.

/NOT irony, conicidence
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:10:06 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'142862\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 06:48 AM\']
Variety.com is reporting that Roger King has decided against bringing Joker/Lock to NATPE.
[/quote]
I await comment.

I know I won't _see_ it, mind you, but I'll still await it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'142864\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 10:09 AM\']
I don't remember if this happened or not, but was Meredith's syndie Millionaire ever on when Reege's original Millionaire was on?  That would have been overexposure.
[/quote]
No. Reege's version last aired in June 2002. Meredith debuted that September.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 04:23:54 PM »
Well, the Conventional Wisdom right now that there's room for only one new game show in syndication is still around and looks to be true.  But we all thought it was going to be "DOND."  Silly us.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 07:58:53 PM »
I've been advised by someone "close to the show" that it's not dead and to wait for the real news, even though it's been posted in 2 different places now that it's gone.  So I had to not only make it a rumor control post but also remove all signs of it being dead.  So, again at the command of someone "close to the show", this is the new title.

Rumor Control: "The Joker's Wild"/"Combination Lock" Basically XXXX

At this point, it's not pissing me off if the show doesn't make it.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'142941\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 07:58 PM\']I've been advised by someone "close to the show" that it's not dead and to wait for the real news, even though it's been posted in 2 different places now that it's gone.  So I had to not only make it a rumor control post but also remove all signs of it being dead.[/quote]
I wouldn't dream of telling you how to edit your own blog posts or anything like that. But I still must question the strict validity of the word I bolded in your quote. I, personally, would add a statement about the "rebuttal" before the first paragraph of the content, and leave everything else be.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

itiparanoid13

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 09:40:50 PM »
OK, I can say it like this.  This person didn't even bother to ask me to be aware there's still a chance.  He went to the people above me and bitched to them.  This is the 2nd time this has happened and I've had enough.