Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel question  (Read 1898 times)

Kevin Prather

Wheel question
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:18:21 PM »
Let's say for the sake of argument that a puzzle has gotten down to only vowels remaining. All three players are stumped by the puzzle, and the only contestant with money has $250-$500. That contestant calls a vowel that's not in the puzzle, so none of the contestants have $250.

What happens? Clearly each contestant's only option is to attempt a solve. If all three are stumped, is the puzzle a deadlock? Is it thrown out? Do they tough it out until one player figures it out?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 12:37:49 AM »
Ha.
While I probably don't have an accurate answer for you; it reminded me of something that happened while playing the Vanna White WoF game on the NES.

I was down to $200 and only vowels were left.  I attempted to solve multiple times and was unsuccessful in doing so; the game kept trying to force me to solve the puzzle.  I eventually shut it off.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Wheel question
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 12:40:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'142998\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 09:37 PM\']I was down to $200 and only vowels were left.  I attempted to solve multiple times and was unsuccessful in doing so; the game kept trying to force me to solve the puzzle.  I eventually shut it off.[/quote]Funny thing, that's not what happens with the Family Edition. If all players (computer and human) have less than $250, and vowels are gone, the game will declare the round a draw, and have a do-over puzzle, as if it never happened.

Somehow I think it's odd that they'd actually change the code for what happens probably one or two times over the life of the cart. As to the OP question, I would think anyone on the board who appeared on Wheel came across something like that in their contestant release.
Travis L. Eberle

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Wheel question
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:13:12 AM »
Don't think it ever came across my eyes when I saw it. If anyone else is going to be on the show, ask that question for future reference because I sure would like to know.

BrandonFG

Wheel question
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:20:18 AM »
If I were to make a guess, I'd say they just keep going down the line until someone finally guesses it right, and the winner gets the $1,000 House Minimum.

Either that or just throw the round out due to tedium and time wasting.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

davidhammett

Wheel question
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 01:52:06 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'142990\' date=\'Jan 11 2007, 11:18 PM\']
Let's say for the sake of argument that a puzzle has gotten down to only vowels remaining. All three players are stumped by the puzzle, and the only contestant with money has $250-$500. That contestant calls a vowel that's not in the puzzle, so none of the contestants have $250.

What happens? Clearly each contestant's only option is to attempt a solve. If all three are stumped, is the puzzle a deadlock? Is it thrown out? Do they tough it out until one player figures it out?
[/quote]

This scenario was clearly addressed in the rules when I was on the show; I can't imagine it's changed since then.  Simply put, if only vowels are left and no one has enough money to buy one, they throw the puzzle out and begin anew.

Clay Zambo

Wheel question
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:07:48 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'143007\' date=\'Jan 12 2007, 01:52 AM\']
This scenario was clearly addressed in the rules when I was on the show; I can't imagine it's changed since then.  Simply put, if only vowels are left and no one has enough money to buy one, they throw the puzzle out and begin anew.
[/quote]

And in the alternate universe where Bert or Allen hosts Wheel, they leave the puzzle in the show, get good laughs about it, and mention it again later in the week.  ;)
czambo@mac.com

WhammyPower

Wheel question
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'143016\' date=\'Jan 12 2007, 07:07 AM\'] [quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'143007\' date=\'Jan 12 2007, 01:52 AM\']
[/quote]

And in the alternate universe where Bert or Allen hosts Wheel, they leave the puzzle in the show, get good laughs about it, and mention it again later in the week.  ;) [/quote]
You forgot Tom Kennedy.

Steve McClellan

Wheel question
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »
I'm so glad I kept a copy of the official rules :)

If only vowels are left in the puzzle, the contestant whose turn it is, will be asked to solve the puzzle or first buy a vowel(s) and then solve the puzzle. [...] The game will proceed [...] until the puzzle is solved or until none of the contestants has enough money to purchase a vowel and each contestant has failed to solve the puzzle in his/her last turn. In that case the puzzle will be discarded and all cash and/or prizes credited will be erased.

Don Howard

Wheel question
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'143017\' date=\'Jan 12 2007, 08:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'143016\' date=\'Jan 12 2007, 07:07 AM\'] [quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'143007\' date=\'Jan 12 2007, 01:52 AM\']
[/quote]

And in the alternate universe where Bert or Allen hosts Wheel, they leave the puzzle in the show, get good laughs about it, and mention it again later in the week.  ;) [/quote]
You forgot Tom Kennedy.
[/quote]

No, no. Tom would be too busy losing it if the word FRENCH appeared in the puzzle.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:34:25 PM by Don Howard »