Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New clips on the JM website  (Read 7289 times)

ChuckNet

New clips on the JM website
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:41:02 AM »
Aside from a Starcade Hotline segment featuring a staff member performing his original composition, "The Sinistar Blues"(!), there's also complete videos of their unsold pilot, Finders Keepers (not to be confused w/the Nick GS of the same name) and an ep of their post-Starcade effort, The Video Game:

Starcade and More

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Allstar87

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 02:00:33 AM »
Man, what an awesome find! Thanks a lot!

Currently watching "The Video Game". An odd one indeed; that Monster Round's a sight to behold. "Graaaaaah! You're nowhere near home!"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:06:24 AM by Allstar87 »

TonicBH

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »
Watching the FK pilot... I found it amusing that they didn't have art cards for the trip, so seeing "HYATT HOTEL INSERT" is amusing.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

dazztardly

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:01:46 AM »
I watched "The Video Game"...talk about an anamoly. LOL That host seriously needed some improvement, as did the show.

-Dan

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:46:02 AM »
Both those shows were pretty abysmal, with "The Video Game" being moreso. It looked like a bad stage show someone might see while at the park they were taping from. FK being hosted by two characters instead of two people was the least of that show's problems...the camera work was bad, everything was hidden way too close to each other, etc.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jackpotman800

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »
I can safely say, I now know why the Nickelodeon version made it to the air & was better; nice music though being that it was composed by Stephen J. Cannell music man Mike Post. What kind of whack job would devise The Video Game, there's nothing I can really say about the host, the announcer sounded like Bob Clayton with a heart attack, the real good thang (to me) about the show was the leg work of Karen Lea.

So in conclusion, congradulations Jim & Mavis for producing Starcade.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:38:27 PM by Jackpotman800 »

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »
What kind of whack job would devise The Video Game, there's nothing I can really say about the host, the announcer sounded like Bob Clayton with a heart attack, the real good thang (to me) about the show was the leg work of Karen Lea.

Agree w/you on all points...even listed Christopher Kriesa on a list of the all-time worst GS announcers, and am I the only one who thinks Greg Winfield was involved in the cloning experiment that gave us Jim Caldwell and David Sparks? LOL...but yeah, Karen was def the show's saving grace. :-)

Used to watch it when I was a tyke (and even then, thought Karen was hot, LOL)...WTNH (Ch. 8, home of "ConnetiMatt") in Hartford/New Haven kept Starcade on for another season after it was cancelled and ran it back-to-back w/TVG from 7-8 AM on Sat mornings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
I actually liked his voice because of it's similarities to Clayton's. What really got me about him was his free-form ad-libbing over his open microphone (which furthered my little notion that this was a bad stage show that was unfortunately going out over the air) and how he seemed more in control and knowledgeable of the format than the host, who just spewed out nothing lines a mile-a-minute and threw to the announcer often.

They just threw up a clip of one of Alex Trebek's 3 pilots for "Starcade." Weird bird, that, since this was at a point where there was no theme music yet. The set's a bit empty, and looks especially so because the games were concealed behind curtains in this particular iteration of the format. Alex is unfortunately at his most verbose in the clip. I'd be curious to see if his pilot gets any better once they start in on the game.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

LA the DJ

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 07:34:13 PM »
For years I've had a vague recollection of a show that had a round similar to PiR's Pathfinder. Now I've seen it again, I can't believe this entertained me back then...
I'd also forgotten that Hawkeye once hawked Ataris.
Also, You can't tell a contestant to "come on down". That's sacrilege.
Interesting though, that you can see the roots of some later Nick shows in these shows.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »
I actually liked his voice because of it's similarities to Clayton's. What really got me about him was his free-form ad-libbing over his open microphone (which furthered my little notion that this was a bad stage show that was unfortunately going out over the air) and how he seemed more in control and knowledgeable of the format than the host, who just spewed out nothing lines a mile-a-minute and threw to the announcer often.

Indeed...did you see how he had to interrupt Greg after The Maze so he could reveal the "monster" box? He did that in an ep I have, as well, only Greg had already gone into his "We'll be right back w/more awesome VG action" spiel.

And yeah, now that I think about it, it did seem more like a televised stage show than anything else...was annoying having Chris make those inane little comments during the open while the theme was playing, and those repeated shots of the audience seemed a bit dry, while the clips that ran going into commercial seemed more like a subtle plug for Magic Mountain.

Incidentally, they seemed to run the same commercials on virtually every ep...except for the Frosted Flakes spot, ALL of them appeared in another ep I have. Also, the primary sponsor was Sega, who apparently thought this show might bring them recognition and stem the flow of red ink they were drowning in @ that point in time...talk about putting your eggs in the wrong basket!

Casey Buck

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »
They now have 10 complete episodes of Starcade (including one episode with Mark Richards hosting) at: http://www.starcade.tv/starcade/episodes.asp

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 08:18:06 PM »
The one thing I really liked (and still do, after watching the episode posted online) about The Video Game was the theme.  It wasn't enough for me to keep watching the show, though. :-)

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:25:11 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'143288\' date=\'Jan 14 2007, 08:18 PM\']
The one thing I really liked (and still do, after watching the episode posted online) about The Video Game was the theme.  It wasn't enough for me to keep watching the show, though. :-)
[/quote]

Yeah, the theme rocked...cool to hear the instrumental version that played during the close, as well. However, I'm still trying to figure out what Greg's sign-off line "Be good, and stay solid!" meant...

Chuck Donegan (The Puzzled "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:27:45 PM by ChuckNet »

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'143289\' date=\'Jan 14 2007, 09:25 PM\']
I'm still trying to figure out what Greg's sign-off line "Be good, and stay solid!" meant...
[/quote]

Probably what Karen Lea wanted her date to be when she went out with them!  
Remember, Karen is the "girl who wants to give it all away"!

sshuffield70

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'143286\' date=\'Jan 14 2007, 08:05 PM\']
They now have 10 complete episodes of Starcade (including one episode with Mark Richards hosting) at: http://www.starcade.tv/starcade/episodes.asp
[/quote]

Am I just a lunatic or was this particular epsiode edited after broadcast to replace the first Starcade theme with the second?  It seems all of the Richards' eps had the first theme.