Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ende-mauling...  (Read 4855 times)

Sodboy13

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
About the only speed increase I saw tonight is that it's now taking less time for the Mob to select its answers.  Other than that, same screaming, different day.

After watching the show, I'd have to say that tonight's featured "performer" is in the early lead for 2007's Most Annoying Contestant.  Oh, sure, I could go into the Miss Fitness thing, thie disturbing, cavernous cleavage, but I think what made me want to reach through the screeen and give the backhand can best be summarized thusly:

"Number A."
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

MikeK

• Martha!
Ende-mauling...
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 11:12:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'143920\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 10:38 PM\']thie disturbing, cavernous cleavage[/quote]
How's that a bad thing?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:13:33 PM by MikeK »

Sodboy13

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 12:34:57 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'143921\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 10:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'143920\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 10:38 PM\']thie disturbing, cavernous cleavage[/quote]
How's that a bad thing?
[/quote]

Hey, I'm all for good, quality cleavage, but that stuff she was sporting was low rent.  Keeping in the spirit of the board, that gap was so wide, you could drop a Plinko chip down it.

/And keep the "$10,000 slot" jokes to yourself, gents.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

joshg

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 12:21:59 PM »
How's that a bad thing?

Hey, I'm all for good, quality cleavage, but that stuff she was sporting was low rent.

How could she see over those things to press the buttons? Too bad she didn't win money to make them more cavernous...
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jay Temple

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 11:00:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'143920\' date=\'Jan 19 2007, 09:38 PM\']
About the only speed increase I saw tonight is that it's now taking less time for the Mob to select its answers.  Other than that, same screaming, different day.

After watching the show, I'd have to say that tonight's featured "performer" is in the early lead for 2007's Most Annoying Contestant.  Oh, sure, I could go into the Miss Fitness thing, thie disturbing, cavernous cleavage, but I think what made me want to reach through the screeen and give the backhand can best be summarized thusly:

"Number A."
[/quote]
As soon as she said that, I knew she'd be an early exit. The cleavage just made me hope it wouldn't be quite so soon.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

FlashStash

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 08:37:30 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'143735\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 01:19 PM\']
  The only issue I have is that the game is horrendously stacked towards the One horrendously against the Mob, but that's not that hard to fix if they tried.
[/quote]

Is it really so horrendously stacked?  Last episode, the mob won twice...what's been the percentage of wins/losses for the mob?

Also, in a game where the contestant can take as long as he likes, and can quit at any time, and where the mob has 5 seconds to answer, and has no choice to stop, I would expect that the One would win more often.

FS

joshg

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 08:47:41 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'144327\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 05:37 AM\']
Is it really so horrendously stacked?  Last episode, the mob won twice...what's been the percentage of wins/losses for the mob?

Also, in a game where the contestant can take as long as he likes, and can quit at any time, and where the mob has 5 seconds to answer, and has no choice to stop, I would expect that the One would win more often.

FS
[/quote]

Actually, the mob gets 10 seconds. It's edited for TV. And yes, the contestant can take as long as they like. Grr. But, it's great hearing a contestant talk herself into a wrong answer while the mob holds its collective breath.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

itiparanoid13

Ende-mauling...
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »

I see where you're going, I don't think you're getting my point I had in my mind.  I expect the One to win more often too, but I expect the mob to get something in return, which is happening more often now because the writers are embracing tougher questions; so, to a certain extent, you are correct as well as I.  The mob deserves something, whether it be $1,000 for every surviving member at the end of the game, the new One comes from the mob, the mob takes some of the player's bank if the player surrenders, just something.  We have far better players in the mob than we do as the One, and they are getting nothing to show for it besides their name and how many questions they've answered occasionally shown.  The tricky questions hinder only the mob with their 10 seconds to answer, because a player can easily figure out what's going on with as much time as they have.  A few seconds of camera time does not make up for the number of hours lost during the taping and the lack of money you get.

I'm not saying other versions are better either.  The British version has too many winners in its short time, and the One can't seem to win on the Dutch version.  No one has really found a happy medium between the two, and with this game, I don't think you really can, but I could be mistaken.  Don't get me wrong, I love 1VC.  I was pumped when it came to America, and I think our current batch of episodes are the best primetime game show episodes we've had in ages and is nearly the best version in the world, but eventually people are going to be sick of going to the mob and earning nothing beyond a number.  We've upped the difficulty a little bit, and it's helped the mob out a lot.  If they can keep the difficulty at a good level, I really think this problem can be fixed.

Edit: I just checked Wikipedia, and it says 11 "winners" VS 8 losers, and the majority of the eight losers have come from the newer batch of episodes where we toughened the game up a little bit.  Again, if we can keep this up, I'll be 100% fine with the show, since the mob is being rewarded with more losers and more money with the harder material.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 09:51:54 AM by itiparanoid13 »