Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC pilots in the eearly 90s  (Read 1538 times)

chrispw1

ABC pilots in the eearly 90s
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »
How do you think ABC would have done had some of the pilots they did in the early 90s been picked up? Were they hoping to have a game show block to replace The Home Show as it seemed the show always kept getting expanded and kept on the air. In addition to the Match Game which got picked up, they had the Bob Eubanks Gambit pilot which was on pageoclips a few weeks back which I felt was kind of mediocre and since I've never really seen Wink's version I really can't compare it but I've heard it was different in some main areas. They also had the Vicki Lawerence pilot Body Talk and the Peter Tomarken TKO pilot which I believe were the last pilots Mark Goodson did.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:26:53 PM »
Game shows were out of step with what the affils were looking for at the time. The shows would have low clearances.  I remember reading in the trades that "Body Talk" was going to be picked up.  A week or so later the exec who greenlit the show  (I think it was Brockman) was no longer with ABC, and BT never hit the air.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Pyramids

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »
I wish either "Body Talk' or esp. 'TKO' would have sold. From what I read on the 'GS Pilot Light' page it wasn't a bad pilot. If the later had sold GSN today would have more of Peter Tomarken & MGP to showcase, and there would be nothing wrong with that.

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:06:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'144299\' date=\'Jan 23 2007, 06:39 PM\']
I wish either "Body Talk' or esp. 'TKO' would have sold. From what I read on the 'GS Pilot Light' page it wasn't a bad pilot. If the later had sold GSN today would have more of Peter Tomarken & MGP to showcase, and there would be nothing wrong with that.
[/quote]
Having seen TKO @ UCLA, it's not bad...but in terms of an 'exciting' game, it wasn't....Still, it was a different format from a production team that hadn't really come up with many 'new' concepts in those latter years.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"