Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does TPIR dub in cheering?  (Read 4216 times)

Jim

Does TPIR dub in cheering?
« on: September 13, 2003, 10:39:12 AM »
Does TPIR \"sweeten\" the audience cheering ever?  This dawned on me watching the Friday 9/12 show.  Watching the sixth round \"item up for bids\" section, the entire middle section is dead quiet and motionless - no cheering, screaming, or waving - but you hear this tinny sound of wild cheering and screaming of prices.  Further, a few guys shown on camera who were screaming prices (apparently quite loudly from what I could tell) were not at all audible on the tape.  I have been to the studio and seen on other episodes that, by the sixth round, when they aren't going to be calling anybody else down, the audience gets kind of quiet for the IUFB and last pricing game.  Is price now dubbing auience noise in when the audience gets lax?

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 10:42:31 AM »
This has been mentioned in a previous thread, but yes they do sweeten the audience. Especially the Primetime specials.

Of course you could look at it from the perspective that the shouting and screaming is coming from the left and right sides of the studio, but it's common practice.

For example: Audience on camera not applauding on Comb's Feud even though you hear it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 10:43:03 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 01:46:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The sweetening looks particularly bad when they have a wide shot of the center section of the audience motionless and there is all this screaming.  Worse, the screaming had a tone quality of an internet download in the early days.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 02:20:20 PM »
Y'know what really bugs me? Those canned \"ohhh\"s and \"ahh\"s that play during IUFB plugs. They're even worse on STYD.

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 03:30:32 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 09:42 AM\'] For example: Audience on camera not applauding on Comb's Feud even though you hear it. [/quote]
 Even that groan after the strike sound.... sounds like a WoF bankrupt groan, don't you think?

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 04:25:53 PM »
Not to put this too far off topic, but the most interesting use of canned reaction was when the Gong show popsicle twins segment aired on E!THS and the recent Bravo reality special.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 01:39:03 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 01:20 PM\']Y'know what really bugs me? Those canned \"ohhh\"s and \"ahh\"s that play during IUFB plugs.[/quote]
The audience gets revenge for those, though, by oohing and aahing at grocery items.

\"We've got a weird bunch here today . . .\"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 09:13:21 AM »
For example: Audience on camera not applauding on Comb's Feud even though you hear it.

That's actually not that uncommon.  I remember seeing episodes of \"Joker's Wild\" and \"Tattletales\" previously on GSN where a similar thing happens.  I guess the director should be more careful about what shots he puts on the air!!(LOL)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 11:26:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 14 2003, 12:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 13 2003, 01:20 PM\']Y'know what really bugs me? Those canned "ohhh"s and "ahh"s that play during IUFB plugs.[/quote]
The audience gets revenge for those, though, by oohing and aahing at grocery items.

"We've got a weird bunch here today . . ." [/quote]
 There's a lot less sweetening at TPIR than you'd believe. The screaming during \"one-bids\" is indeed often enhanced, often obviously. But the \"oooohs\" and \"aaahhhhs\" are, to my experience, usually real.

Several reasons: The show is such an institution that audience members often react in that campy style just to be part of the tradition. In warm-up both Rod and I mention how we see and hear the audience throughout the show and rely on their participation. On the days when I specifically mention the prize reveals as one of the times we pause for reaction, it's far more prevalent. And only yesterday during Grand Game, David's Jalapeno Flavored Sunflower Seeds (does that sound good to you?) received a mighty reaction. I looked up while reading to see what was happening before I realized the audience was simply expressing their choice of that product as being below the $4.00 \"target price\".

Just my 2 cents... which is below the target price   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

vtown7

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 11:54:46 AM »
tvrandywest said:

I looked up while reading to see what was happening before I realized the audience was simply expressing their choice of that product as being below the $4.00 \"target price\".

To touch on what Randy said, I was in the audience for a taping that will air early in the new season, and Pick a Pair was played.  When we found two items that we thought would work, we cheered wildly.

I shan't say anything more for this would then become a spoiler!

Cheers,

Ryan :)

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 12:00:14 PM »
Here's a question-

Did all NBC game shows use the same sweetening- device? Casue the oooh's and aaahh's all sounded the same on Wheel of Fortune, Sale of the Century, and Scrabble (the one that always makes me laugh is the cheer that goes kinda like this: Oooooohhhhhh-YaHOO!)
insert signature here

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 12:11:01 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 11:00 AM\']Here's a question-

Did all NBC game shows use the same sweetening- device? Casue the oooh's and aaahh's all sounded the same on Wheel of Fortune, Sale of the Century, and Scrabble (the one that always makes me laugh is the cheer that goes kinda like this: Oooooohhhhhh-YaHOO!)[/quote]
If it was shot at Burbank, yes--the MacKenzie Program Repeater, the first feasible tape cartridge system.  Referred to colloquially at NBC as \"Mother MacKenzie\" or \"Mrs. MacKenzie.\"  \"Mother MacKenzie\" was immortalized by Dennis James when he was hosting \"PDQ\"--if they ever had to tape shows without an audience, James would always say hi to \"Mother MacKenzie\" in the \"audience\" (in cue with his famous early TV wrestling announcing--\"that's a choke hold, mother\").  MacKenzies were also used by CBS for sweetening, but they didn't have the patently phony sound (especially when you watched five NBC Burbank game shows back-to-back) of NBC's MacKenzie tapes.  NBC New York also had MacKenzies that I thought were just used for applause, but on the last two years of \"WML?\" syndicated you can hear canned laughter very noticeably.  ABC just had an applause tape cartridge until the mid-70s, when an ABC audio engineer named Ralph Waldo Emerson III developed a sweetening system that used the standard NAB cartridges that ABC used--you hear it on 70s eps of \"Feud\" and in any of ABC's sitcom promos of the time.

This page from reelradio.com explains how the MacKenzies worked (they were also used in early Top 40 radio, particularly for the frenzied, production-heavy newscasts of the time).

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 09:41:11 PM »
This page from reelradio.com explains how the MacKenzies worked (they were also used in early Top 40 radio, particularly for the frenzied, production-heavy newscasts of the time).

There was also a Father MacKenzie, an English priest who once presided over the funeral of some English woman named Eleanor Rigby... :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Beatles-Loving \"Chuckie Baby\")

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 10:43:35 PM »
To clarify: I wasn't referring to cheering that's meant to help a contestant. I'm thinking more of, for instance, It's in the Bag. On a couple of occasions, it's even been choreographed (among a large group that came to the show together, I presume). So you'll get a solid \"Oooh\", followed by an \"Ahhh\" and an \"Ohhh\".

Boy, that last sentence looks dirty.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin