Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eddie McGuire back on screen for Aussie "1 vs 100"  (Read 2666 times)

pownster

Eddie McGuire back on screen for Aussie "1 vs 100"
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »
It has been rumoured for some time - but there was confirmation today that Eddie McGuire, former host of the Australian version of "Millionaire" and current CEO of the Nine Network, has decided to return to the small screen again to host the upcoming version of "1 vs 100".

"McGuire confirms screen return" - NineMSN (18 Jan 2006)
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Clay Zambo

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:57:31 AM »
Glad you're getting a version of 1v.

I enjoyed this quote from the article, which should be filed under Typo of the Day, or at least, And Who Said He Did?[/]:

"'I've never used the word boned in my life...' he said."
czambo@mac.com

trustno1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'143701\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 07:23 AM\']
It has been rumoured for some time - but there was confirmation today that Eddie McGuire, former host of the Australian version of "Millionaire" and current CEO of the Nine Network, has decided to return to the small screen again to host the upcoming version of "1 vs 100".

"McGuire confirms screen return" - NineMSN (18 Jan 2006)
[/quote]

I guess then that WWTBAM has been "boned".
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

pownster

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
[quote name=\'trustno1\' post=\'143744\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 02:04 PM\']
I guess then that WWTBAM has been "boned".
[/quote]

I think that officially - "Millionaire" is merely 'on hold' - there was some suggestion that the show would be back on later in the year - but they said something similiar when Sale/Temptation was taken off the air at the end of 2001 as well (and it didn't return for 3.5 years). Personally - I don't think it will leave the screens forever (Eddie himself is a big fan of the format) - and I do hope it returns sooner rather than later. Budgetary restraints will dictate the timing to some degree.
Chris Powney

TravisP

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »
Having two millionaires in a short space of time didn't help much. Even though it took nine decades to produce their first.

Whats the news with Deal or No Deal over there at the moment? As I heard they are going to remove the three question elimination and bring in the US look.

pownster

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'143750\' date=\'Jan 18 2007, 02:38 PM\']
Having two millionaires in a short space of time didn't help much. Even though it took nine decades to produce their first.

Whats the news with Deal or No Deal over there at the moment? As I heard they are going to remove the three question elimination and bring in the US look.
[/quote]

I've read that also (on Wikipedia) - I haven't seen it officially anywhere - but I certainly would not be surprised if we moved in that direction. I'm guessing that the final contestant would be chosen randomly from the nominated block (assuming we still have a podium full of contestants and don't go the way of a model-dominated podium like the US version). I wouldn't think they would want to meddle too much with the format in fear of alienating viewers.
Chris Powney

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
Dang, they're certainly moving fast...the show starts on the 29th..

pownster

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 05:21:17 AM »
Tonight, I saw the first promos for our version of "1 vs 100" - and it looks as if it will be identical in just about every other way to the American version. The official site even has a clip from the US version to whet the appetite of the viewers here. I am genuinely excited about its prospects, and look forward to seeing the premiere next Monday.

(Funnily enough - it is preceded by "The Rich List" on the Seven Network (official website) - I wonder if our version will outlast a single episode!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:50:09 AM by pownster »
Chris Powney

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'144164\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 02:21 AM\']
(Funnily enough - it is preceded by "The Rich List" on the Seven Network (official website) - I wonder if our version will outlast a single episode!)
[/quote]
Are they trying out Eammon Holmes over there, too?

/because an unfinished list is unfinished business
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'144182\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 10:41 AM\']
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'144164\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 02:21 AM\']
[/quote]
Are they trying out Eammon Holmes over there, too?

/because an unfinished list is unfinished business
[/quote]

Site has Andrew O'Keefe hosting.

And 12 Yard is still saying that they were responsible for "Weakest Link" without adding "while our head guy was still working for the BBC and before we were even formed."

I guess nowadays if "Pyramid" was new it could be flogged "from the creator of 'Password' and 'The Price is Right.'"  Yes, it is true, but...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'144186\' date=\'Jan 22 2007, 09:18 AM\']
Site has Andrew O'Keefe hosting.
[/quote]
Andrew O'Keefe is quickly turning into the Tom Bergeron of Australia. You can't swing a dead cat around at Seven without hitting a show he's working on, it seems. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pownster

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 06:35:21 AM »
THE NIGHT HAS FINALLY ARRIVED! I have just finished watching the debut of "1 vs 100" - and it was FANTASTIC! Don't worry - I'm not going to give away what happened on the show itself - however, I will give you a taste of the show through this short story, aired tonight on "A Current Affair", previewing the show. I hope you like it too.

A Current Affair - "1 vs 100" Preview

(For those you want to see snippets from the actual show - I aim to put a clip up on my "Video Moments" page in the next day or so).
Chris Powney

brianhenke

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:44 AM »
Here's a story about the debut of 1 vs. 100 and Rich List in Australia:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21139030-1702,00.html

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

pownster

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:49:34 AM »
As promised last night - I have now placed a clip up on my "Video Moments" site of the premiere episode of "1 vs 100". This features the introduction and first three questions.

Video Moments - Premiere of "1 vs 100" (Australia)

IMHO - and in the tradition of big-money game shows in this country - the show did DRRRAGGG on a little too much (we wouldn't want to give away too much too quickly - would we????!!), and the questions were rather too easy throughout the night. Still, when comparing it with the other offering of the night (The Rich List) - it is more likely to last out the test of time - if they can pace it up a bit and make the questions more challenging.

On the subject of "The Rich List" - the format is harmless enough and certainly playable from home - but it is really exciting enough to engage a primetime audience. For me - the jury is out.

Will be interested to see the preliminary ratings figures on the two shows.......
Chris Powney

brianhenke

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 12:09:55 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'144927\' date=\'Jan 30 2007, 05:49 AM\']
As promised last night - I have now placed a clip up on my "Video Moments" site of the premiere episode of "1 vs 100". This features the introduction and first three questions.

Video Moments - Premiere of "1 vs 100" (Australia)

IMHO - and in the tradition of big-money game shows in this country - the show did DRRRAGGG on a little too much (we wouldn't want to give away too much too quickly - would we????!!), and the questions were rather too easy throughout the night. Still, when comparing it with the other offering of the night (The Rich List) - it is more likely to last out the test of time - if they can pace it up a bit and make the questions more challenging.

On the subject of "The Rich List" - the format is harmless enough and certainly playable from home - but it is really exciting enough to engage a primetime audience. For me - the jury is out.

Will be interested to see the preliminary ratings figures on the two shows.......
[/quote]

Here is the Rich List Australia website from the Seven Network (is the set the same as the US version?)

http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/the-rich-list/

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?