Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When is Spring Break in LA?  (Read 4358 times)

gaubster2

When is Spring Break in LA?
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:49:36 PM »
I'm thinking that spring break in So. CA is sometime in March.  I'm planning a trip to CA to see Barker at TPIR one last time, and didn't want to make the trip in vain.  Does anyone know specifically when to avoid TV City because of the college crowds that are likely to make getting in line around 6PM the night before a crap shoot?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'143990\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 04:49 PM\']
I'm thinking that spring break in So. CA is sometime in March.  I'm planning a trip to CA to see Barker at TPIR one last time, and didn't want to make the trip in vain.  Does anyone know specifically when to avoid TV City because of the college crowds that are likely to make getting in line around 6PM the night before a crap shoot?
[/quote]
As the days leading up to Barker's farewell become closer, it may well be a crap shoot no matter when you do it.

Just makes me glad I did it twice.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:34:46 PM »
2 friends of mine went last week, got there at midnight and said there were at least 100 people there.

I've never been there in January before so I can't say if that's the norm this time of year.

6pm may not be early enough.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:35:43 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

gaubster2

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144001\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 05:34 PM\']
2 friends of mine went last week, got there at midnight and said there were at least 100 people there.

I've never been there in January before so I can't say if that's the norm this time of year.

6pm may not be early enough.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm thinking more like 4PM or so.  I just don't get too excited about the prospect of being in line for more than 24 hours!  ;)

I'm assuming your friends got into the studio, though?  Any idea what their numbers were?  I'm just trying to gauge how many groups will get in and what's typical.

I've been to a taping one time (back in 2002, late-Feb.) and we got to the studio at 4:45AM and were numbers 75-76.  A couple of busloads of people showed up about 8AM.

rebelwrest

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
Since we are talking about when to get in line.  I sent for tickets the same day Barker retired and I haven't anything from them yet.  Do you get some conformation before you receive tickets or do they just show up in your mailbox 2 weeks before the taping?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
One of my friends said that a lot of colleges are trying to coordinate their spring breaks to be either the same week, or very close to, the same week.  All of the colleges I know of (including mine) have their spring breaks the week of March 11.  So, I'd expect that most of the CA colleges have their breaks then as well.

But, yeah; I agree with the sentiments of other posters.  Almost everyone is going to want to see Barker before he hangs it up, so, although I had some thoughts of going there this year, once the retirement was announced, I immediately called them off because I knew I had no chance of getting in.  If you do go, though, I hope you are able to get in!

Don't know if that helps, but hope it does!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

SRIV94

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:43:36 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'144009\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 08:26 PM\']
Since we are talking about when to get in line.  I sent for tickets the same day Barker retired and I haven't anything from them yet.  Do you get some conformation before you receive tickets or do they just show up in your mailbox 2 weeks before the taping?
[/quote]
You don't get confirmation.  They should show up within a month or so of the date you requested.  They have more tickets than studio capacity, so getting a ticket shouldn't be a problem.

When are you planning to go?
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

trainman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 10:05:07 PM »
The two major colleges in L.A....

USC's spring break is March 12-17.

UCLA has a short spring break, more like a long weekend: March 24-27.
trainman is a man of trains

rebelwrest

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 11:08:21 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'144012\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 09:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'144009\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 08:26 PM\']
[/quote]
You don't get confirmation.  They should show up within a month or so of the date you requested.  They have more tickets than studio capacity, so getting a ticket shouldn't be a problem.

When are you planning to go?
[/quote]

I gave them a range of dates and saying to get me the earliest date if possible.  My earliest dates are during my college spring break (I requested February 28 or March 1).  However, I requested 2 tickets and I will probably go out on my own, so if any of you out want to attend the show, go to my profile and email me.  I will try to make my trip as quick as possible.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

SRIV94

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'144023\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 10:08 PM\']
I gave them a range of dates and saying to get me the earliest date if possible.  My earliest dates are during my college spring break (I requested February 28 or March 1).  [/quote]

Per the CBS.com page:

Tickets are sent out approximately 2-4 weeks prior to the tapings. If you are requesting tickets for a Monday, please specify the 1:15PM or 4:30PM taping. All Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday tapings are at 2:30PM.

So you should be getting be them in the next couple of weeks.

Said page has a phone number you can contact for further information if you need (no need to post it here).

Enjoy.
Doug

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 12:06:27 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'143996\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 08:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'143990\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 04:49 PM\']
[/quote]
As the days leading up to Barker's farewell become closer, it may well be a crap shoot no matter when you do it.
[/quote]

I really don't think it matters when Spring Break is for California colleges.  It's just like saying "When does Daytona Beach colleges have Spring Break?"  There will be a lot of out-of-town/state college kids visiting Southern California whenever their spring breaks happen.  

And since most of these students are used to pulling all-nighters, you'll probably see more hard core college fans spending the night along Fairfax as we get closer to the heart of the Spring Break Season.  Once those breaks are over, you will see the more hard-core Barker fans (regardless of age) pulling all nighters up until June 6th.

Here's a question I'll ask as a public service:  Now that they do e-tickets, can you still pick up real tickets at either CBS-TV City or at the Beverly Center Mall street-level office?  And if so, do those actual tickets still have priority over the e-ticket holders?  This might even help improve your odds in getting in!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 02:22:27 AM »
Does anyone have any idea if any other colleges have their spring break the week of March 5th?  The 5th is when I and a couple of friends were planning on attending the show.

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 08:00:50 AM »
I'm assuming your friends got into the studio, though? Any idea what their numbers were? I'm just trying to gauge how many groups will get in and what's typical.
They did get in, but I don't recall the number. I know it was less than 170. Be aware that people hold spots for others. I remember 6 years ago, I was number 2 on line. I found out soon enough that number 1 was holding spots for 19 others. So I went from 2 to 20. Still not bad though.

Here's a question I'll ask as a public service: Now that they do e-tickets, can you still pick up real tickets at either CBS-TV City or at the Beverly Center Mall street-level office? And if so, do those actual tickets still have priority over the e-ticket holders?
Per CBS.com

OPTION THREE - Pick up tickets at our Ticket Booth.
* Tickets are available up to two weeks prior to the tape day and up to the day before. Tickets are not available the day of taping. If you don't have a ticket on the day of taping, "Non-Ticket Slips" are available and these go in after the priority numbers and stand-by tickets have been honored.

* Our Ticket Booth is open as follows:
-- On tape days: Monday-Thursday - 7:30AM - 5:00PM. On Fridays: 9:00AM - 5:00PM
-- On non-tape days: Monday-Friday - 9:00AM - 5:00PM.
* A maximum of ten tickets per person can be picked up.

Your best bet would be to get tickets from something like Hollywood Tickets. It's somewhat of a priority in that you don't have wait on line as long. Though I have no idea what that does to your chances to get an early number. Check back with them from time to time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:04:04 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »
I'm one of the two friends Chris mentioned. We drove up (with our TPIR Gear) at 12:20AM and I was surprised to see the 100 or so people already there on Fairfax. The first time I was there -last August- a 12:30 arrival got me #13.  This time #117.  You can judge by what stores are directly across from you on Fairfax.If you are across from the Bagel store (you'll get to know them well if you make the trip) you're OK. (We were a bit further back but I still felt we'd get in -and we did.  TPIR Page Chuck Dumas -who does a GREAT pre-warm up outside during the 9:30-2:30PM wait told a small group of people from D.C.who were turned away the day before that if you are lined up BEFORE the bus stop on Fairfax you'll likely get in... but thats NEVER a guarantee.

An interesting fact on how people are seated after the first front rows (50 people or so) is that they fill one complete middle side (right -facing the stage) first then the remaining left -middle side... So, people who had numbers in the 200 range actually had better seats (epecially since Golden Road was played and Bob entered that way) than those in the 100-150 range.  Still no complaints!! It was great to get in and a lot of fun. NEXT TIME: Air Beds!!  The sidewalk on Fairfax is quite hard.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:24:19 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

SRIV94

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'144026\' date=\'Jan 20 2007, 11:06 PM\']
Now that they do e-tickets, can you still pick up real tickets at either CBS-TV City or at the Beverly Center Mall street-level office?  And if so, do those actual tickets still have priority over the e-ticket holders?  [/quote]

Actual tickets have no priority over E-tickets--if you have either one (and to be on the safe side I armed myself with both), it's how early you get there and not which one you have.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:33:07 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug