Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kiss the dating shows goodbye...  (Read 4401 times)

ChuckNet

Kiss the dating shows goodbye...
« on: September 11, 2003, 10:37:34 PM »
For those who care, Change of Heart and 5th Wheel will have their last shows tomm night (9/12), w/Elimidate's final airing next wk (9/19).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 10:42:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 09:37 PM\'] For those who care, Change of Heart and 5th Wheel will have their last shows tomm night (9/12), w/Elimidate's final airing next wk (9/19).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Maybe some producer will think there's value in placing a format similar to 8 Minute Dating on TV as a dateumentary. For those that didn't see the Today SHow piece on it a few months ago, a man and a woman are set up on eight eight-minute dates in a bar or restaurant, rotating tables. Then they decide whether they'd like to see the person again for friendship or dating. There are other similar companies that do things like this like Speeddating(mainly for Jewish singles), Hurrydate, etc.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 11:01:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 09:37 PM\'] For those who care, Change of Heart and 5th Wheel will have their last shows tomm night (9/12), w/Elimidate's final airing next wk (9/19). [/quote]
 Sorry, Chuck.  It appears that Elimidate will stick around at least one more season.

This Plain Dealer article says Elimidate taped 6 episodes in Cleveland in July and it says that the new season of Elimidate starts this Monday.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 11:17:02 PM »
And SPike TV has come to the rescue of the cancelled Shipmates, producing 50 new episodes of that dateumentary. Now, can we get Food Network to come to the rescue of Supermarket Sweep?

Skynet74

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 02:17:37 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 10:37 PM\'] For those who care, Change of Heart and 5th Wheel will have their last shows tomm night (9/12), w/Elimidate's final airing next wk (9/19).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]

As long as they keep Blind Date around. I do enjoy watching that.

John

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 09:19:17 AM »
As long as they keep Blind Date around. I do enjoy watching that.

How many episodes of \"Blind Date\" have been produced anyway?  I know that Spike (formerly TNN) runs earlier episodes about 6 times per day!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 09:48:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 12 2003, 08:19 AM\']
How many episodes of "Blind Date" have been produced anyway?  I know that Spike (formerly TNN) runs earlier episodes about 6 times per day! [/quote]
 Four seasons so far times (assume 175) episodes per year means 700. Maybe SPike only leased the rights to one season of it.

tommycharles

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 02:31:30 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 12 2003, 08:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 12 2003, 08:19 AM\']
How many episodes of \"Blind Date\" have been produced anyway?  I know that Spike (formerly TNN) runs earlier episodes about 6 times per day! [/quote]
Four seasons so far times (assume 175) episodes per year means 700. Maybe SPike only leased the rights to one season of it. [/quote]
Considering how different (set + graphics wise) the Spike shows look, I'd say they only got the first season.

Also, I don't think Lodge got a production credit on those shows.

Edit: Why the hell did my 75th post have to be about Blind Date?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 02:33:44 PM by tommycharles »

LA the DJ

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 02:58:30 PM »
\"dateumentary\"? Who comes up with these?
I just worry about some of these winding up on GSN, given their fondness for dating shows.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 03:45:44 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Sep 12 2003, 01:58 PM\']\"dateumentary\"? Who comes up with these? [/quote]
Hint--he's a Tennessee college professor who used to be a newscaster and has a web site.

I just worry about some of these winding up on GSN, given their fondness for dating shows.

Gosh, what other dating shows have been on GSN in the last two years since the current management team have been in charge *besides* \"Love Connection\" and \"Dating Game?\"  None, it seems to me.

I would expect that if Bob Boden was going to go for a dating show, it would have to be an icon show--and besides \"Dating Game\" and \"Love Connection,\" \"Blind Date\" and \"The Bachelor\" are the only ones that fit that bill (well, maybe the first \"Joe Millionaire\"--and \"ElimiDATE\" is on its way to being an icon).  I would hope that he turned down any pitch from Sony to keep \"Shipmates\" going on his channel (and I suspect that the video game block, which I now even doubt if it's going to happen, due to the lack of promotion, might've been something to keep a Sony suit from trying to force \"Shipmates\" on him--once again, suspicion, not fact).

BTW, Marc Berman, who is usually correct about these things, only has \"Shipmates\" and \"Change of Heart\" on his cancelled relationship shows list--I believe \"5th Wheel\" is still on, as is \"EX-Treme Dating.\"  There just aren't any new ones, other than the classmates.com series which is in test market mode for 20th Television.

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 05:25:16 PM »
I would hope that he turned down any pitch from Sony to keep \"Shipmates\" going on his channel (and I suspect that the video game block, which I now even doubt if it's going to happen, due to the lack of promotion

We can only hope...

BTW, Marc Berman, who is usually correct about these things, only has \"Shipmates\" and \"Change of Heart\" on his cancelled relationship shows list--I believe \"5th Wheel\" is still on, as is \"EX-Treme Dating.\" There just aren't any new ones, other than the classmates.com series which is in test market mode for 20th Television.

Yeah, I found that out for myself after making my original post, as Klaussie and others pointed out.

(heads off to TTD '90 room)

Chuck Donegan (The Less-Than-Perfect \"Chuckie Baby\")

starcade

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2003, 02:24:36 AM »
And I, for one, won't miss them except for the sex euphanisms the producers always seemed to cartoon in to those cartoon shows...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2003, 02:48:05 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 07:42 PM\'] (mainly for Jewish singles) [/quote]
 Why specifically Jewish singles? Are there not single people of other faiths who could benefit from subscribing to such a service?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2003, 07:40:17 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 14 2003, 01:48 AM\']
Why specifically Jewish singles? Are there not single people of other faiths who could benefit from subscribing to such a service? [/quote]
 a visit to speeddating.com will reveal the tagline \"Jewish Dating Revolutionized, Speeddating\"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2003, 10:17:28 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 14 2003, 07:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 14 2003, 01:48 AM\']
Why specifically Jewish singles? Are there not single people of other faiths who could benefit from subscribing to such a service? [/quote]
a visit to speeddating.com will reveal the tagline "Jewish Dating Revolutionized, Speeddating" [/quote]
 Sure enough.  Also \"An effective way to meet other Jewish singles\" and many other specific Jewish references.

Apparently, while the concept of \"speed dating\" is more or less religion-free (though I assume it's an early question if you're taking it seriously), the registered trademark brand-name \"SpeedDating\" operation really is specifically for Jewish singles.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.