Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Play Crosswords  (Read 6990 times)

Matt Ottinger

Let's Play Crosswords
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:31:54 AM »
The syndicator's site has a little bit of information about the new show Merv is pitching.

http://www.programpartners.com/program_sub...hisProgramID=19
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144347\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 10:31 AM\']
The syndicator's site has a little bit of information about the new show Merv is pitching.

[/quote]

So Merv's not reinventing the, excuse the expression, wheel, but wants to deliver an old-fashioned, (hopefully) solidly-crafted game show where the material, structure and returning champions will bring people back.

There is a lot to be said for that.  Whether he can do it with a small syndicator remains to be seen--however, if Program Partners can prod the stations taking the "DeGrassi" reruns to take this show, as well, they may find a niche.  (Personally, I think that "DeGrassi" has found its American audience on The N and will not get more viewers in broadcast.)  I have the feeling that they may be run over by another fast-paced Q&A with a lot more potential glitz (not to mention a big syndicator that's part of a company that owns stations), that being "Temptation."

NickS

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'144352\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 11:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144347\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 10:31 AM\']

[/quote]

So Merv's not reinventing the, excuse the expression, wheel, but wants to deliver an old-fashioned, (hopefully) solidly-crafted game show where the material, structure and returning champions will bring people back.

There is a lot to be said for that.  Whether he can do it with a small syndicator remains to be seen--however, if Program Partners can prod the stations taking the "DeGrassi" reruns to take this show, as well, they may find a niche.  (Personally, I think that "DeGrassi" has found its American audience on The N and will not get more viewers in broadcast.)  I have the feeling that they may be run over by another fast-paced Q&A with a lot more potential glitz (not to mention a big syndicator that's part of a company that owns stations), that being "Temptation."
[/quote]

Add that WMA is behind it as well (and of course, Marc Berman RAVES about it so it has a chance, right?)...

...and for those of you that work in TV (Chris) and have access to a WB Digital receiver, there's a preview feed Monday at 6a Eastern on Galaxy 16/Tr. 6/Channel 4.  Count me in as interested... but there's going to have to be a fine line between "hard quiz" and something that everyone can play.

CarbonCpy

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »
Quote from the trailer:

"The following contains a state of the art CGI animatic presentation..."

From that, may I assume that Merv has been working on this show ever since Tron was originally in theaters?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:42:16 PM by CarbonCpy »

goongas

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
I prefer the format of "That's the Question" to this based on the trailer I saw on the Web site.

Clay Zambo

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144347\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 11:31 AM\']
[/quote]

Not just a little bit of information, a CGI mock-up trailer for the show.  Fascinating, particularly that the voices sound (to me) machine-generated.  Why not get four people into a green-screen room, tape them playing the game (or script the whole thing, if desired), and then render the set and gameboard for the trailer?
czambo@mac.com

Allstar87

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:50:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'144412\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 11:16 PM\']
Fascinating, particularly that the voices sound (to me) machine-generated.[/quote]

Machine-generated's right; that Tom guy sounded like a Speak & Spell.

[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'144412\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 11:16 PM\']
Why not get four people into a green-screen room, tape them playing the game (or script the whole thing, if desired), and then render the set and gameboard for the trailer?
[/quote]

Good idea, but that might still require some props, like actual podiums to stand behind. Guess they thought going this route would save them the trouble of building anything.

dazztardly

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:40:18 AM »
I just watched the trailer. The format looks appealing, and the play-along factor seems to hit home.

Only time will tell,
-Dan

Robert Hutchinson

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:59:22 AM »
It's a little hard to take anything seriously when presented in that form . . . but give that show a good writing staff (actual crossword constructors wouldn't hurt, if just for the clues) and smart contestants, and I'm probably watching it faithfully. The first round is pointless gameplay-wise, but maybe it's there as a nod to crossword solving often being a collaborative activity?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 02:20:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'144421\' date=\'Jan 24 2007, 10:59 PM\']
The first round is pointless gameplay-wise, but maybe it's there as a nod to crossword solving often being a collaborative activity?
[/quote]
If for no other reason, it's there so they can use that WAY COOL effect where they split the thing up into three podiums. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'144421\' date=\'Jan 25 2007, 01:59 AM\']
...but give that show a good writing staff (actual crossword constructors wouldn't hurt, if just for the clues)[/quote]

Paging the Brothers Mackey...
czambo@mac.com

tvmitch

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:27:07 AM »
Merv & Co. are pitching this hard. There are full page ads in many of the TV trades lately, and lots of leaderboards and other ads on websites of the same TV trades. Now that I am back in TV and am checking these sites and newsletters daily, LPC ads are pretty much all I've been seeing. I hope the show works out - TV could use a (another) great word game. (Not sure about the title though.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:27:37 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

toddyo

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »
Not seeing anything in print or video, when I heard about this show, the first thing that popped into my head was "they're bringing back Crosswits".

Is this a cross between Crosswits and Scrabble???

On a side note: Now that Ralph Edwards has gone over the rainbow to see Judy and Toto, any clue to whether the Edwards library will be opened? Who owns the rights?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'144443\' date=\'Jan 25 2007, 08:15 AM\']
Is this a cross between Crosswits and Scrabble???
[/quote]
Only in the sense that all three use crosswords as a theme. Otherwise, no.

And yeah, the name sucks. And I'm not sure that I'm thrilled that the pitch video just SCREAMS "virtual set for the final product."

But goddamn if that podium-splitting thing isn't cool. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:34:40 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JamesVipond

Let's Play Crosswords
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »
The gameplay may not be much now, but I was impressed by the use of Poser animation. (I've used only the first five versions of Poser; Merv must have bought a copy of Poser 7.) I assume that they intend to add colors and textures to the host and contestants in a later animatic?
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play