Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Appearances On Different Shows  (Read 6070 times)

TimK2003

Celebrity Appearances On Different Shows
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »
During the 70s and early 80s when celebrity players were 'hip', the 4 largest production companies (G-T, B&E, Bob Stewart & H-Q) cranked out many celebrity flavored games.  

Most stars could be regularly seen on 2 of the 4 production company's shows, quite a few did the hat trick with 3, but did any celeb appear on at least one show from each of the Big 4 production companies, moreso as players and not hosts?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:48:46 AM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »
I don't wanna steal Matt O's thunder, but Bill Cullen appeared on H-Q's HS, B&E's BtB and obviously the other two as well.  I think there are many who have done that.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'144806\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 09:47 AM\']
...did any celeb appear on at least one show from each of the Big 4 production companies, moreso as players and not hosts?[/quote]
The first person that popped into my head was Nipsey Russell, but I'm not finding a H-Q show for him (he did not do the original Hollywood Squares).  Maybe Battlestars?

Meanwhile, Cullen did them all of course, though his B-E and H-Q appearances were fairly minimal.  He WAS on the original Hollywood Squares, as well as Break the Bank.

EDIT:  Beaten again.  Spent too much time researching Nipsey before posting about Bill.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:40:50 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144809\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 11:39 AM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'144806\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 09:47 AM\']
...did any celeb appear on at least one show from each of the Big 4 production companies, moreso as players and not hosts?[/quote]
The first person that popped into my head was Nipsey Russell, but I'm not finding a H-Q show for him (he did not do the original Hollywood Squares).  Maybe Battlestars?

Meanwhile, Cullen did them all of course, though his B-E and H-Q appearances were fairly minimal.  He WAS on the original Hollywood Squares, as well as Break the Bank.

EDIT:  Beaten again.  Spent too much time researching Nipsey before posting about Bill.
[/quote]

I was thinking that if anyone, Bill Culllen was my firrst guess, but I have never seen any H-Q show with him on it...yet.  

Plus I figured if Bill did do HSq as previously mentioned, I'd leave that to our resident Bill Cullen guru. :-)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:07 PM »
Let's see...there was Anne Meara. Although she did more of course, her appearances on HSq, PW+, BtB, & Pyramid qualify her.
Jo Anne Worley appeared on HSq, IGaS, Pyramid, and Hot Potato.
Finally for now, a less obvious entry would be Anson Williams. He guested on Magnificent Marble Machine, Match Game, BtB, & $10,000 Pyramid.

EDIT: There was one more I intended to note, yet for forgot to do so: Jayne Meadows. (Celebrity Game, IGaS, $10K Pyramid, & Hot Potato)
I too would've jumped and said Nipsey, but it appears the only other H-Q shows he could have possibly done are MMM, People Will Talk, or Baffle.
Wouldn't Ralph Andrews Productions also be considered one of the big companies of that time period as well? That company is responsible for a slew of celebrity-driven games.

Not that I'm trying to pad the Nipsey Russell count...

--Jamie
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:58:08 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
If anybody wanted to work on this, I think you START with Barry-Enright shows, because there were so few of them for celebrities. What's more, the B-E celeb shows tended to ask less of the celebrities involved, so matching them up with Bob Stewart shows, which usually demanded more from the celebs, can be tricky.  

Find someone who's done those two, and you're probably well on your way.  I've got a few ideas, but I want to prove them out before asking others for help.  Neat little puzzle, Tim.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:02:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'144820\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 11:44 AM\']
Finally for now, a less obvious entry would be Anson Williams. He guested on Magnificent Marble Machine, Match Game, BtB, & $10,000 Pyramid.
[/quote]
Williams also did GONG, which means he also worked for a fifth company.

Come to think of it, so did Worley.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'144820\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 12:44 PM\']
I too would've jumped and said Nipsey, but it appears the only other H-Q shows he could have possibly done are MMM, People Will Talk, or Baffle.[/quote]
He could easily have done To Say The Least, Name Droppers and it's not inconceivable that he played The Celebrity Game, though it is unlikely.  Do we count Battlestars and All-Star Blitz, since technically, Quigley was out of the picture for those?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
The first person to come to my mind was JoAnne Worley.  (Squares, Break the Bank, Pyramid, and Body Language)  Anson Williams is another, and with the same four shows as Worley.  (EDIT:  Jamie beat me to it.  That's what I get for having an internet outage for an hour.)  A third which came to mind as I'm ready to hit the "add reply" button--Vicki Lawrence.  (Match Game, Pyramid, The Magnificent Marble Machine, Break the Bank)

A few with 3 are coming to mind, but I can't place a 4th show for them...
*  David Letterman--Password Plus, The Love Experts, Squares.  Did Letterman make an appearance on The Hollywood Connection?
*  Pat Carroll--Family Feud; The Hollywood Connection; Pyramid.  Peter Marshall's book doesn't list her as appearing on Squares.  I seem to recall that she was on the Davidson version of Squares.  (3 1/2 points out of 4?)
*  Arte Johnson--Match Game, Squares, Celebrity Hot Potato.  He's a little too "out there" to do a straight-laced game like Pyramid.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:28:13 PM by MikeK »

toddyo

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
Without reference material, what about Abby Dalton?

SRIV94

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:17:44 PM »
Here's another--Marcia Wallace.  She did PYRAMID, HP, MG7x and HSq.

/Assist to Chuck Donegan--using his web page as a reference.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 02:26:24 PM »
This is actually kind of engaging. Perhaps when gameshowvault.com opens soon, I'll compile this list onto one page. 4 more and then I'm off to find something else to do. :-)

Rita Moreno - Match Game, Pyramid, Bullseye, To Say the Least
Sandy Duncan - What's My Line?, Pyramid, Break the Bank,Hollywood Squares
Lee Meriwhether - Match Game, Pyramid, Break the Bank, To Say the Least
Jamie Farr - Tattletales, Pyramid, Hot Potato, To Say the Least

I can't place a 4th show for Jan Murray or Milton Berle, neither of whom  seem to have appeared on a Bob Stewart game.
Abby Dalton and Nanette Fabray are both missing Barry / Enright shows...

--Jamie
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:31:56 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

mbc793

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 02:30:21 PM »
I think David Letterman also appeared on Pyramid (The $20,000 Pyramid if I'm right).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:40:47 PM by mbc793 »

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'144829\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 02:02 PM\']
Do we count Battlestars and All-Star Blitz, since technically, Quigley was out of the picture for those?
[/quote]

Heatter's name was still on the product, just as it was only Mark Goodson's name on Body Language so I consider them as part of their original families.

As far as Ralph Andrews and Chuck Barris (whom I consider as minor players compared to the other 4 p/c's) , we can add them to make a possible six, but I think it still may be tough to name a lot of people who played with the Big 4.  If I had to say who would I add to make the Big 5, I'd choose Andrews over Barris.

SRIV94

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »
[quote name=\'mbc793\' post=\'144852\' date=\'Jan 29 2007, 01:30 PM\']
I think David Letterman also appeared on Pyramid (The $20,000 Pyramid if I'm right).
[/quote]
You are right, but THE LOVE EXPERTS was also a Bob Stewart production.  Dave being on PYRAMID doesn't add him to the list of those who pulled the quadruple.
Doug