Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Future Game Shows...  (Read 3049 times)

Ian Wallis

Future Game Shows...
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:01:41 AM »
I'm sure all of us have wondered exactly where game shows are heading - and what formats are headed our way in the future.  While it's good that they tried/are trying to revive The Joker's Wild, I really think there are several other dormant formats that could be tried again.

For example, I really enjoyed the 2000 version of Twenty-One, which according to the ratings, was cancelled ahead of its time.  I wouldn't mind seeing it come back.  

Another I think could work today is one I brought up on this forum over a year ago - a late '60s show called Temptation.  That's another show that didn't really require much skill - just pick a prize and hope the others don't - which would seem to fit in nicely with today's Deal or No Deal.

Since most of us haven't been thrilled with shows such as Show Me The Money, I wonder if they should be looking more to the past to come up with proven (or semi-proven) formats; or do you think we're stuck in this kind of "purgatory" for a while where shows like Show Me The Money will be the rule rather than the exception?

Do you think they should be trying shows like Twenty-One again?

Thoughts?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:59:46 AM »
I think what might carry less of a stigma would be to do old formats under different names; that way the young TV execs who never watched the shows but dismiss the concept because they are aware of the title, could be convinced that these are fresh concepts.  

That strategy got a throwaway game for Samsonite luggage that only game show geeks remembered on WML revived as a million-dollar primetime entry as "Identity."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Future Game Shows...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »
Guy walks into a network head's office and says "Have I got a show for you!"

He then proceeds to describe a rock-solid game show format that will capture the attention of casual viewers and die-hard fans alike, if it's produced correctly.

At the end, the network head says "That's a hell of a show. What do you call it?"

And the guy says "Erm, Trapezoid."

/the <snap> Aristocrats!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

toddyo

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
Two game shows, two different networks:

1) Password. CBS.  Don't show us the audience except at the beginning and end. It's the game. Use the Alphabetics bonus round with upward rollover prize (like it was used in Super Password).  Cheap show to produce. Put B+ to A stars on it, no brainer.

2) $100,000 Name That Tune. PBS.  Yes, PBS. Music rights have no problem! Get a group of underwriters and the program can be fully funded and cheap to produce. It wouldn't have to be taped in NYC, LA or Chicago. Would make excellent programs to pitch those pledges around.

BrandonFG

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'145120\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 12:16 PM\']

1) Password. CBS.  Don't show us the audience except at the beginning and end. It's the game. Use the Alphabetics bonus round with upward rollover prize (like it was used in Super Password).  Cheap show to produce. Put B+ to A stars on it, no brainer.
[/quote]
After watching the Klugman/Somers ep. on GSN a few months ago, I realized that this has to be one of the simplest games to bring back. Front game is classic Password, have a Lightning Round to determine how much to play for in Alphabetics. Have the game straddle to ensure a looser (heh, I said loose again) format. As long as it's not a bunch of "The Password is (WHOOOOSH!) 'THONG' ". It's an intelligent show that should be treated as such.

The show has worked for decades as a party game, so the set could be along the lines of Win Lose or Draw or Smush, a casual party setting.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tpirfan28

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:01:16 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'145125\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 01:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'145120\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 12:16 PM\']

[/quote]
After watching the Klugman/Somers ep. on GSN a few months ago, I realized that this has to be one of the simplest games to bring back. Front game is classic Password, have a Lightning Round to determine how much to play for in Alphabetics. Have the game straddle to ensure a looser (heh, I said loose again) format. As long as it's not a bunch of "The Password is (WHOOOOSH!) 'THONG' ". It's an intelligent show that should be treated as such.
[/quote]
I've always thought that Password would make a perfect partner with "Millioniare" in a syndie slot (like WoF & J! are)...but I think the game requires too much in the smarts department from both the contestant and the celebrity.  The same could be said about "Pyramid"...but that game, you don't have that one-word-per-clue requirement...so you wouldn't see "Aristophanes".

Now if "Crosswords" and possibly "Joker" can break this mold apart...I can see "Password" possibly making a comeback.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
Future Game Shows...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »
With several reality and talent competitions still on the air, I think that The Krypton Factor or The Gong Show would be a good idea to bring back.

Also, with the "let's randomly pick stuff" shows like DoND and Show Me the Money on the air (well, was recently on the air for SMtM), I think Treasure Hunt would be a cool show to bring back.
*Indecipherable screaming*

TimK2003

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' post=\'145144\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 08:13 PM\']
With several reality and talent competitions still on the air, I think that... The Gong Show would be a good idea to bring back.
[/quote]

Isn't that what the first few weeks of American Idol is?? :-P

I'm still waiting for one of the three to stand up during one of the bad performances and yell out "GONNNNG".

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
Future Game Shows...
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 08:06:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'145147\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 07:51 PM\']
With several reality and talent competitions still on the air, I think that... The Gong Show would be a good idea to bring back.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point. However, it just isn't the same without Ryan Seacrest shouting "STUFF!"
*Indecipherable screaming*

TimK2003

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 08:45:09 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' post=\'145149\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 09:06 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point. However, it just isn't the same without Ryan Seacrest shouting "STUFF!"
[/quote]

But if you double Paula's 'prescription' and put extra caffeine in her Coca-Cola, she could easily play the role of Jaye...P....Mor-Gonnn.

Robert Hutchinson

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33:16 PM »
As long as we're dreaming . . . Password Plus format. $10,000 flat prize for Alphabetics. Illegal clue = $100 a word. Allow the option to give or receive clues. 100-100-200-200, first-to-300 main game. Opposites legal.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

dad1153

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 12:38:46 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks Body Language or any charades-type game should be given another shot (maybe on a small network like GSN)?  I watch 'BL' every day and at least once per episode the contestants/celebrities do something downright hilarious trying to get his/her partner to guess the word.  With a decent batch of 'C' and 'B' celebrities and some good puzzle writers I can't see 'BL' not appealing to the family-friendly crowd with some harmless fun.  Getting a host to be as good as Tom Kennedy at not accidentally slip the acted puzzle words is another challenge altogether.

davemackey

Future Game Shows...
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 07:22:21 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'145153\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 08:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' post=\'145149\' date=\'Feb 2 2007, 09:06 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But if you double Paula's 'prescription' and put extra caffeine in her Coca-Cola, she could easily play the role of Jaye...P....Mor-Gonnn.
[/quote]
Somehow, Rickey Minor and the Band With A Thug just don't sound right.