Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Underground Storage  (Read 3524 times)

geno57

Underground Storage
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
Saw something about this place on the tube recently.  Pretty amazing, considering it's actually in Kansas City, Missouri, maybe 12 miles from where I live.  Their website actually mentions that there are game shows stored down there.  I had thought that these types of facilities were all in Utah or New Mexico.

http://www.huntmidwest.com/subtropolis/case_studies.html

cweaver

Underground Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »
I've heard repeatedly Johnny Carson's post-1972 Tonight Show tapes are stored underground in Kansas.

trainman

Underground Storage
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 01:26:18 AM »
I once closed-captioned a newsmagazine-style employee video for Safeway that included a tour of their section of that complex.  No game show videotapes, just rows and rows and rows of pallets of not-immediately-perishable supermarket items.
trainman is a man of trains

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Underground Storage
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
I saw on some TV special about Johnny Carson that it's a salt mine in which his tapes are preserved...they said something about how the salt helps the preservation of the tapes.

They showed shelves and shelves of old masters, even at one point taking one off the shelf and reading the guest stars off the label.

The man in charge of that section of the mine also mentioned that there are some game shows among the tapes down there.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Jimmy Owen

Underground Storage
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »
That's all well and good, but if we can never see them, they may as well be erased.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Underground Storage
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:45:29 PM »
That's all well and good, but if we can never see them, they may as well be erased.

While I'm not hoping for anything else to be erased, I kind of agree with that statement.  Even if every game show ever recorded still existed, if a network like GSN never airs them it doesn't do us a lot of good.  Example:  Spin-Off has recently been reported to exist - but has anyone here actually seen it since the discovery was made?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Terry K

Underground Storage
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 08:37:35 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'145224\' date=\'Feb 4 2007, 02:26 AM\']
I once closed-captioned a newsmagazine-style employee video for Safeway that included a tour of their section of that complex.  No game show videotapes, just rows and rows and rows of pallets of not-immediately-perishable supermarket items.
[/quote]

There are salt mines around Salina, KS that house these reruns.  That's where the reruns of Carson are stored.

DjohnsonCB

Underground Storage
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'145996\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 03:45 PM\']

While I'm not hoping for anything else to be erased, I kind of agree with that statement.  Even if every game show ever recorded still existed, if a network like GSN never airs them it doesn't do us a lot of good.  Example:  Spin-Off has recently been reported to exist - but has anyone here actually seen it since the discovery was made?
[/quote]
I just wrote GSN and asked them to consider adding Spin-Off to their lineup, even if it means running it overnight.  They are indeed the only network where rerunning it would make any sense.  But even if they never touch it, that doesn't mean it should be erased.  God forbid!!!!!  We've lost too many irreplaceable game show eps as it stands now.  If only local stations could be convinced to rerun it the way they used to do with Password and You Don't Say!.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:25:58 PM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Underground Storage
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:57 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'146034\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 06:25 PM\']
I just wrote GSN and asked them to consider adding Spin-Off to their lineup, even if it means running it overnight.  
[/quote]
I have to ask.

What do you think the chances are of that letter having, well, any effect whatsoever?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Underground Storage
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' post=\'146037\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 09:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'146034\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 09:25 PM\']If only local stations could be convinced to rerun it the way they used to do with Password and You Don't Say!.
[/quote]

Local stations rerunning old sitcoms is one thing, but I highly doubt many (if any) will be interested in running a decades old game show.
[/quote]
That ran for what, 13 weeks?

GSN won't even air the 70s "Squares" eps. So, again, why would they air an obscure blink-and-miss-it show, unless they do one of those Sunday overnight shifts.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Underground Storage
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »
I don't want to offer any false hope for ever seeing "Spin-Off" again, but the 1976-77 Nicholson-Muir version of "Howdy Doody" came out some years ago on DVD, so at least those tapes were well-preserved.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

Underground Storage
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'146041\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 12:15 AM\']
I don't want to offer any false hope for ever seeing "Spin-Off" again, but the 1976-77 Nicholson-Muir version of "Howdy Doody" came out some years ago on DVD, so at least those tapes were well-preserved.
[/quote]

I remember watching that version of HD in first run, and I always thought Nicholson-Muir did the original 50's episodes as well.

There were 2 good things about that 70's version, though:

1) No Crockpots were given away to the Peanut Gallery, and
2) Happy Harmony!  (If you remember the show, you know what I'm talking about).

MrBuddwing

Underground Storage
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 01:07:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146036\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 09:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'146034\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 06:25 PM\']
I just wrote GSN and asked them to consider adding Spin-Off to their lineup, even if it means running it overnight.  
[/quote]
I have to ask.

What do you think the chances are of that letter having, well, any effect whatsoever?
[/quote]

Well, I can't speak for DjohnsonCB, but I've written a few e-mails to GSN, and they've been surprisingly responsive. For example, I gently complained about the way a GSN bumper was being inserted into Collyer's "To Tell the Truth," and darned if they didn't tweak it. I also suggested that, since they'd abandoned the "Black & White Overnight" moniker, they might consider rerunning classic game shows in color - and what do you know, that's what we've been getting the past couple of months in the small hours of Monday.

(To go off topic, I once e-mailed Turner Classic Movies, suggesting they run a relatively obscure film I'd spotted on one of the other Turner networks, TNT or TBS, and I was fairly astonished when TCM did run it, some nine months later.)

Now, it's entirely possible that my e-mails had no effect whatsoever, and that what happened with GSN was just a happy coincidence. And I suppose if I were to write to GSN, pleading for five-morning-a-week reruns of  the syndicated "What's My Line?" or "To Tell the Truth," that my request would fall on politely deaf ears.

But what's the harm in trying? (Think I'll start composing that e-mail ...)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Underground Storage
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 01:39:14 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'146047\' date=\'Feb 15 2007, 10:07 PM\']
But what's the harm in trying? (Think I'll start composing that e-mail ...)
[/quote]
Yes, absolutely. (Personally, my time is worth more to me.) I was just asking.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MrBuddwing

Underground Storage
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146051\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 01:39 AM\']
(Personally, my time is worth more to me.)[/quote]

And that's why you spend it HERE? (I kid! I kid!)