Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fox Schedules New Reality Quiz Show  (Read 4235 times)

Craig Karlberg

Fox Schedules New Reality Quiz Show
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 03:41:31 AM »
Looks like Fox is following the trend of comedian-turned-gane show host.  I think Jeff Foxworthy will "fit" in nicely here.  I'm concerned he'll pop off a few redneck jokes in front of those 5th graders.  Even if they do know what they are, that sort of thing worries me a bit.  At least we know that one player is pitted against 5 of them.  The rest is still being ironed out.

NickS

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 09:51:02 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'145345\' date=\'Feb 5 2007, 09:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'145331\' date=\'Feb 5 2007, 05:23 PM\']And as a service to some of the people of this board, I beg that you don't bitch and moan about the host before the show actually takes place.

Whether or not the game plays well, the casting of Foxworthy as host is intriguing to me.[/quote]Excuse me? Who gave you the privilege of telling us what we could talk about? If I want to bitch and moan, by golly, I'm going to.  I think the casting of Foxworthy tells us a great deal: that the show is going to be played for laughs at the expense of the adults. (Though I suppose you could have figured those things out from the title, and the fact that the show is on FOX.) If the show were to be hosted by Dick Clark, it would be full of overdramatic tension and the cheese factor would be off the charts. Not so much when you have a host whose main shtick is telling people why they might, in fact, be a redneck.

I think it was a great move by FOX, because they can draw in some non game show fans with Foxworthy. I think FOX finally got something right. You never know.
[/quote]

Travis, if you're going to try and snipe on me, please re-read my post:  I asked (well, begged), I never commanded.  Look before you leap, K?

And please, there's precedence from other threads about other hosts that were lambasted before the show was even on, so I was trying to be preventive.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'145377\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 06:51 AM\']Travis, if you're going to try and snipe on me, please re-read my post:  I asked (well, begged), I never commanded.  Look before you leap, K?[/quote] Right, but the overall effect is the same, if you're going to ask people not to discuss a topic, you're limiting discussion. And discussion is what we do here. You can ask, beg, or any other synonym, but you're still saying "I don't want this discussed."

And please, there's precedence from other threads about other hosts that were lambasted before the show was even on, so I was trying to be preventive.
But here's the thing. Jeff Foxworthy has a reputation, and because of that, we can infer what kind of show FOX will be running. That guy who is slated to host Temptation? I can't even remember how to spell his name. That doesn't inspire confidence.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'145392\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 12:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'145377\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 06:51 AM\']Travis, if you're going to try and snipe on me, please re-read my post:  I asked (well, begged), I never commanded.  Look before you leap, K?[/quote] Right, but the overall effect is the same, if you're going to ask people not to discuss a topic, you're limiting discussion. And discussion is what we do here. You can ask, beg, or any other synonym, but you're still saying "I don't want this discussed."[/quote]
Calm down, Travis.

I asked the same request regarding Temptation's host and the consensus was that we should wait before we say the show sucks.  TeppanYaki does the same and he gets flame-broiled.  Where's the difference?  Answer:  There is none.  Foxworthy's "reputation"?  Weak.  You're better than that.

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:49:04 PM »
It just happened that the original radio host of "The Quiz Kids," Joe Kelly, was a comedian who was also a member of the "National Barn Dance" cast (this was a faux "Grand Ole Opry" show that was heard locally on WLS in Chicago on Saturday nights and had an hour on the NBC Blue/ABC network) and only had a grade-school education, so Foxworthy surely fits the tradition here.

Of course, the difference is that "Quiz Kids" was played totally straight.  More and more, not so "...Fifth Grader?"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'145395\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 09:45 AM\']Calm down, Travis.

I asked the same request regarding Temptation's host and the consensus was that we should wait before we say the show sucks.  TeppanYaki does the same and he gets flame-broiled.  Where's the difference?  Answer:  There is none.  Foxworthy's "reputation"?  Weak.  You're better than that.[/quote]I assure you, the Prozac prescription is full and at desk-side. :)

Perhaps "reputation" should have been "name recognition." People might scratch their head at the thought of Foxworthy hosting a game show, but at least they know who he is.

If I came off as trying to flame TeppanYaki, that wasn't the intent at all. I just like to discuss hypotheticals, is all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Travis L. Eberle

NickS

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 05:27:53 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'145402\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 12:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'145395\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 09:45 AM\']Calm down, Travis.

I asked the same request regarding Temptation's host and the consensus was that we should wait before we say the show sucks.  TeppanYaki does the same and he gets flame-broiled.  Where's the difference?  Answer:  There is none.  Foxworthy's "reputation"?  Weak.  You're better than that.[/quote]I assure you, the Prozac prescription is full and at desk-side. :)

Perhaps "reputation" should have been "name recognition." People might scratch their head at the thought of Foxworthy hosting a game show, but at least they know who he is.

If I came off as trying to flame TeppanYaki, that wasn't the intent at all. I just like to discuss hypotheticals, is all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
[/quote]

Likewise on the asking/begging; I think we both meant well but it came off holier than thou.  Anyway, if Fox is going for a certain demographic (I'll leave it up to y'all to figure that one out ;) ), Foxworthy makes complete sense.

TimK2003

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 09:29:03 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'145451\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 06:27 AM\']
Anyway, if Fox is going for a certain demographic (I'll leave it up to y'all to figure that one out ;) ), Foxworthy makes complete sense.
[/quote]

And yet, I don't see Fox scheduling the show immediately after the Daytona 500!!  They're blowing a golden opportunity!

(The Daytona 500 is to that certain demographic as The Super Bowl is to the rest of the other demographics).

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'145402\' date=\'Feb 6 2007, 01:01 PM\']
People might scratch their head at the thought of Foxworthy hosting a game show, but at least they know who he is.
[/quote]

At this point in the genre's history, Foxworthy probably makes exactly as much sense to the average viewer as do Mandel, Saget, Shatner, O'Hurley, et al.
@lambertman

TimK2003

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 06:44:16 PM »
I asked our Fox rep here if he had heard the news about Foxworthy hosting yet.  He thought I was joking!  

He did e-mail his network higher-ups in L.A. about it though.  The way they responded to him was, "We have heard nothing of Jeff hosting the show...however, we *have* seen Mr. Foxworthy around the set this past week"!!

weaklink75

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
Here's the press release on Foxworthy...

and USA Today had some information on the gameplay (can't find a link)...The player has to get 10 questions right for $500,000. If they succeed, they can go double or nothing on a 11th question. There are kids there to help if they get stuck.

Another thing that no one has really mentioned..This is the first straight up quiz/game show by Mark Burnett...it'll be interesting to see how he works this genre.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:00:58 PM by weaklink75 »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »
I can tell you how he will work it: horribly, at least in my eyes.  No one in their right mind is going to risk $500,000 on double or nothing.  It's the same issue that Deal or No Deal's Double or Nothing has.  We keep adding to the joy and anticipation of this show, don't we?  Yes, theoretically, a fifth grade level question for $500,000 extra is tempting, but with how they are doing their casting, it's just going to end up to be stupid.

OK, pre-show bitching time, and a projection: how long until we are wishing Show Me the Money was on instead?  I'm giving the show a shot, but from what I'm hearing and heard, it's not going to take long for me, which is really depressing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:21:49 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'145748\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 05:16 PM\']
I can tell you how he will work it: horribly, at least in my eyes.  No one in their right mind is going to risk $500,000 on double or nothing.  [/quote]

Um, isn't that pretty much what Nancy Christy, John Carpenter, et al, did?  

Now, I realize there was a safe-haven in their game--and if somebody wanted to give me $64K (or even $25K) I doubt I'd turn it down.  But I wouldn't say "no one" will take this double-or-nothing gamble.
czambo@mac.com

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »
Foxworthy and the game I could handle, if it's properly formatted and directed. If done with a bit of the charm and warmth Linkletter or Sam Levinson had, it might not be so bad. But it being FOX...
Actually, what scared me while reading the Futon article was the related story that IDENTITY is coming bacK.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'145749\' date=\'Feb 9 2007, 02:50 PM\']
Now, I realize there was a safe-haven in their game--and if somebody wanted to give me $64K (or even $25K) I doubt I'd turn it down.  But I wouldn't say "no one" will take this double-or-nothing gamble.
[/quote]
It's gonna depend on how they do it. The thing with Millionaire is that they get to see the question before deciding whether to go for it or not. So no, John Carpenter did not take that risk, because he saw the question and knew the correct answer. There was no risk. It's certainly not even close to the DoND thing where you are taking a bald-assed 50-50 shot with no previous information at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe