Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Library Question  (Read 4721 times)

happyattacks

GSN Library Question
« on: February 11, 2007, 11:10:27 PM »
I know this might been covered before --- But Does anyone know "Officially" exact what (And what they don't) GSN has the rights to Air...

Specifically -

Do GSN have access to the Entire Goodson Catalog?

How about all Barry and Enright Catalog?

Chuck Barris Catalog?

What about other stuff like:

Hatos/Hall
Heatter/Quigley (High Rollers, Squares etc.)
Reg Grundy
How about other stuff like like Bumper Stumpers/Davidson HS/MG 98
Price is Right

Just wondering... I know this have been covered in the past, but just wondering where we are at with everything.

Thanks for the insight!

tpirfan28

GSN Library Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:40:19 PM »
Goodson catalogue?  NO (specifically TPiR, FF '94, and MG/HS Hour)

B/E catalogue?  Donno.

Barris catalogue?  NO (Gong is the primary NO in that bunch)

Hatos/Hall and H/Q?  Donno.

Grundy?  NO (sadly)

TPiR?  C'mon.  You know that if they had the rights it would be on the air.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

GSN Library Question
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'145937\' date=\'Feb 11 2007, 11:40 PM\']
B/E catalogue?  Donno.
[/quote]
Showed both TTD and TJW during last year's marathon.

Barris catalogue?  NO (Gong is the primary NO in that bunch)
They showed Gong very recently. But there's some music issues on some eps., I believe.

Hatos/Hall and H/Q?  Donno.
They have LMaD and some 70s Squares. Other than the Top 50 marathon last summer, they haven't shown either in a few years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 11:59:40 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

dzinkin

GSN Library Question
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
[/quote]
Once again, incorrect about FF94 -- they've shown eps within the past year if memory serves, and definitely several times since the TPIR contract expired.  FF94 was unavailable initially because it was still in first run when GSN made its debut, not because of any special restrictions.

B&E, Barris, and Bob Stewart all have the same status: while Sony owns them, GSN is only part owned by Sony (the rest is owned by Liberty), so GSN has access but has to pay to license them as with any other show.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:11:20 AM by dzinkin »

snowpeck

GSN Library Question
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'145940\' date=\'Feb 12 2007, 12:10 AM\']
[/quote]
Once again, incorrect about FF94 -- they've shown eps within the past year if memory serves, and definitely several times since the TPIR contract expired.  FF94 was unavailable initially because it was still in first run when GSN made its debut, not because of any special restrictions.

B&E, Barris, and Bob Stewart all have the same status: while Sony owns them, GSN is only part owned by Sony (the rest is owned by Liberty), so GSN has access but has to pay to license them as with any other show.
[/quote]

Exactly.  There's just not much room on the regular schedule for an hour-long Feud. (The same reason Family Feud Challenge rarely gets run these days.)

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

GSN Library Question
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »
That whole thing about Sony having to pay a fee to Sony makes zero sense, especially since every other cable net got out of the game show business shortly after GSN came to be.  There are no other customers, so why not give Sony free access to the Sony holdings to bolster a Sony property?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:48:44 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Library Question
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:48:00 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'146185\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 09:09 PM\']
Exactly.  There's just not much room on the regular schedule for an hour-long Feud. (The same reason Family Feud Challenge rarely gets run these days.)

Greg
[/quote]

Yes, but surely there was a better version of Feud they could have put on if they were going to take off the Match Game 75 Hour anyway...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

snowpeck

GSN Library Question
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:16:51 AM »
Oh definitely.  Either of those versions would be better than Karn's.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

mmb5

GSN Library Question
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'146201\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 01:46 AM\']
That whole thing about Sony having to pay a fee to Sony makes zero sense, especially since every other cable net got out of the game show business shortly after GSN came to be.  There are no other customers, so why not give Sony free access to the Sony holdings to bolster a Sony property?
[/quote]

Never underestimate the power of accountants.  At a place of employment that shall remain nameless we had to purchase product from our parent company.  We had to use their own money to pay themselves.

Actually, this is not the only network that has problems with this.  I believe Chris Carter sued Fox when they sold the cable rights to the X-Files to fX for what he felt was significantly below market value.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

GSN Library Question
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 08:12:12 AM »
Well, Chris Carter may have had a point because a USA or Sci-Fi or Spike might have been interested in showing X Files.  Even Sony's Charles Starrett "Durango Kid" westerns of the '40's have at least two interested buyers.  Does Sony think TNT is gonna bid for "Pyramid"?  Chuck Barris and Bob Stewart have their money from Sony and have moved on.  This policy makes no sense or cents.

I think GSN just doesn't want to air the old shows, which is too bad because the capacity for game show networks on cable is 1.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:46:04 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

GSN Library Question
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
I think GSN just doesn't want to air the old shows, which is too bad because the capacity for game show networks on cable is 1.

With the few exceptions like Match Game, Family Feud, Pyramid and Newlywed Game, unfortunately I think you're right.  Look at networks like TVLand as an example - they started out airing shows which hadn't been seen in a long time; now most of their schedule is '80s and '90s.  Nobody seems to care too much about the older shows anymore.

As for GSN, it's a shame because all of this stuff exists in their vaults and very little of it actually gets exposure.  It makes me wonder if any of it will ever be seen again.  

I'm happy that GSN aired a lot more of it in their early years, but the moment seems to have passed them buy with these restrictions currently in place.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PasswordPluster

GSN Library Question
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »
Give it a month or two and MG will be back at its proper spot at 11PM after they see how the ratings for Karn Feud won't work

PYLdude

GSN Library Question
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 10:45:30 PM »
[quote name=\'PasswordPluster\' post=\'146246\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 05:44 PM\']
Give it a month or two and MG will be back at its proper spot at 11PM after they see how the ratings for Karn Feud won't work
[/quote]

You don't seriously believe that, do you?

GSN's not going to change their mind on ths one. I don't know what their ratings are in the 11 PM hour right now, but I'm willing to bet that regardless of what they'd put in the slot, it might draw the same ratings. Granted, GSN's ratings aren't exactly high, but the Karn Feud isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'd like to see MG75 be there for a while, but I don't make those decisions. It's reality, PasswordPluster. Get used to it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:46:28 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

itiparanoid13

GSN Library Question
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »
What I love is that GSN is billing it as "The New Family Feud", and you know a great deal of people are going to honestly believe that this is the brand new version of the Feud that has never been on TV before, even though the superior O'Hurley version is still in syndication.  I'd like to think that people would be smarter than this, but I still get emails thanking me (thinking I have some major say in GSN production) for reviving Twenty-One and for the brand new episodes of Dog Eat Dog.

PYLdude

GSN Library Question
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'146275\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 11:01 PM\']
 I'd like to think that people would be smarter than this...
[/quote]

I think we'd all like to think that, Alex. But then again, people still vote for the Prohibition Party.