Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Library Question  (Read 4373 times)

catnap1972

GSN Library Question
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 08:05:02 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146285\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 12:27 AM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'146275\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 11:01 PM\']
 I'd like to think that people would be smarter than this...
[/quote]

I think we'd all like to think that, Alex. But then again, people still vote for the Prohibition Party.
[/quote]

And for the same reason we can understand why GSN strips out ticket/contestant plugs.

"Hey Maw...is it OK if I write in to try out for Match Game 75?"

cweaver

GSN Library Question
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 02:39:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'146232\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 03:30 PM\']
 Look at networks like TVLand as an example - they started out airing shows which hadn't been seen in a long time; now most of their schedule is '80s and '90s.  Nobody seems to care too much about the older shows anymore.[/quote]

Not according to TV Land president Larry Jones.  As I posted awhile back in its own thread, he commissioned a survey that indicated the whole idea behind the reason the 18-34 demographic is supposed to be so all-powerful and important is a bunch of baloney.  (The survey claimed young people don't necessarily lock in their brand loyalties for life anymore, and baby boomers appear to be not only trashing that "rule" but also wielding a lot of untapped disposable income in the process.)  

Bottom line is, Larry came away with the idea that he should program for baby boomers, not what the ad buyers tell him.  Yes there are still '80s shows on TV Land but Bonanza and Gunsmoke are still very much around and The Andy Griffith Show is still even in prime time. On the other hand, I'm not holding my breath for anyone else to follow suit immediately (least of all GSN), nor am I tapping my foot waiting for The Phil Silvers Show to come back to TV Land.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Library Question
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'146343\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 02:39 PM\']
Bottom line is, Larry came away with the idea that he should program for baby boomers, not what the ad buyers tell him.  Yes there are still '80s shows on TV Land but Bonanza and Gunsmoke are still very much around and The Andy Griffith Show is still even in prime time.[/quote]

Let's also not forget Sanford and Son, All in the Family, and newest acquisition M*A*S*H as other examples to fortify your point.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022