Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Info regarding Jeopardy! DVD game  (Read 3663 times)

Bob Zager

Info regarding Jeopardy! DVD game
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
After seeing a brief mention of MGA's Jeopardy! "electronic game," (as quoted at abcnews.com), I emailed a rep from MGA inquiring about it; and was informed that the game is:

"a DVD game, but will require an additional component (included) to interface the player buzzers with the DVD player."

The rep also said it should be released this fall, but no price was set yet, nor any illustrations available.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'147551\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 04:38 PM\']
"a DVD game, but will require an additional component (included) to interface the player buzzers with the DVD player."
[/quote]
Five to one that's an IR blaster of some kind to emulate a DVD remote control. Point it at the DVD player, plug in hardwired buzzers. You could probably accomplish the same effect by pressing 1, 2, and 3 on the standard remote.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WhammyPower

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147554\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 07:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'147551\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 04:38 PM\']
[/quote]
Five to one that's an IR blaster of some kind to emulate a DVD remote control. Point it at the DVD player, plug in hardwired buzzers. You could probably accomplish the same effect by pressing 1, 2, and 3 on the standard remote. [/quote]
It would more likely be the arrow keys.  That's how Mad Gab Mania does it.

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'147613\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 10:12 AM\']
It would more likely be the arrow keys.  That's how Mad Gab Mania does it.
[/quote]
Entirely possible. But you see my overarching point. Basically a glorified universal remote.

Hastin

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147619\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 10:54 AM\']
Entirely possible. But you see my overarching point. Basically a glorified universal remote.
[/quote]

Which is fine. I'd like to see you get three people to huddle around a remote. You can do it, but it's not that fun.

I hope the buzzers are precise as they are in Jeopardy! Remote, when we played that at lunch at college, we had players that knew exactly when to buzz in after the horn.
-Hastin :)

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 01:13:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'147647\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 08:59 PM\']
I'd like to see you get three people to huddle around a remote. You can do it, but it's not that fun.
[/quote]
I'd like to see me do it too. Good thing I never suggested anyone should.

Bob Zager

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 08:04:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147554\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 09:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'147551\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 04:38 PM\']
[/quote]
Five to one that's an IR blaster of some kind to emulate a DVD remote control. Point it at the DVD player, plug in hardwired buzzers. You could probably accomplish the same effect by pressing 1, 2, and 3 on the standard remote.
[/quote]

A report on this year's Toy Fair, in the new issue of Toy Shop magazine, mentioned that the game will include wireless signaling buttons, which really caught the eye of the writer of the article.  Yeah, they think it really looked good!

There was no illustration in Toy Shop,  but it did mention it may retail for around $60!

While on the subject of DVD games, I also stumbled across a mention at playthings.com that University Games will be releasing a "DVD Board Game," based on WWTBAM this year!

Bob Zager

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:44:24 PM »
I stumbled across a listing for the game at buybratz.com, which has a link to a listing at target.com.  When going directly to the target site, the item isn't listed, though.

Here's the link to that, and you'll see what the game looks like:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2...opardy_DVD_Game

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
My God...that looks nice.  Little pricey, but still something I would probably pick up.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Hastin

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
Looks fun. Can't wait for it to be released.
-Hastin :)

Bob Zager

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'149360\' date=\'Apr 2 2007, 08:04 PM\']

While on the subject of DVD games, I also stumbled across a mention at playthings.com that University Games will be releasing a "DVD Board Game," based on WWTBAM this year!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, it WON'T be coming out!  I emailed a rep from University Games the other day, and found out that although they displayed their proposed game at the Toy Fair in February, not enough buyers showed interest in it.  Shoot, the DVD versions are pretty popular in other countries, I was looking forward to a U.S. version.