Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "More or Less"...  (Read 5104 times)

gamed121683

"More or Less"...
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »
While watching the show this morning, TPiR introduced a new game called "More Or Less". For those who saw it, what did you all think of the game? Personally, a seemed a little TOO basic for my tastes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:50:06 AM by gamed121683 »

GSmaniac

"More or Less"...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »
I agree. It seemed a little too easy, although the lady lost. Of course we don't know how they play for the car. My guess is that they do the same thing fotr the car as they do for all the other prizes, although that also seems to easy

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"More or Less"...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'146071\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 08:13 AM\']While watching the show this morning, TPiR introduced a new game called "More Or Less". For those who saw it, what did you all think of the game? Personally, a seemed a little TOO basic for my tastes.[/quote]I dug it. Personally, I think it's odd that Double Prices is played for big things like spas, jukeboxes and so on, and Check-out is played for the $4,000 living room. It was nice to see a game played for some of the One-Bid stuff.

I thought it was fine for what it was: a quick game that they can play for a car, without having to trot out That's Too Much! every week. Personally, I'd like to see it become a frequent game in the rotation.
Travis L. Eberle

tvmitch

"More or Less"...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:52:02 PM »
Can someone explain the premise of the game for those of us who didn't see it? Sounds promising...and a bit surprising, since Bob is retiring...I didn't think any new games would be introduced until next season maybe.
You should follow me on Twitter

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
"More or Less"...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:17:58 PM »
I was just finishing a phone call and joined the game after the car descrip, so pardon me if I miss anything. Basically, the contestant is shown three prizes each with a wrong price. (With headphones off while on the phone, I thought at first Buy or Sell got a new set - to give you an idea of the setup, intro & prizes used here) One at a time, the contestant guesses whether the actual price of each prize is "more" or "less" than the false one. Presumably, since today's contestant did not get that far, they get to do this one more time for the car if they get all three right. The contestant wins any prizes they correctly guessed along the way.

-Jason
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:18:24 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

alfonzos

"More or Less"...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »
"Golden Road" with a lot less gold at the end.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Mike Tennant

"More or Less"...
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 04:54:27 PM »
I think the pricing games well has just about run dry--and let's face it, there's only so much you can do with prices and digits.

This is nothing more than taking the old standard small-prize game ("Mildred, the price of that waffler is not $17.  Is the right price higher or lower?") and playing it for larger prizes, with a car at the end of the line.  The fact that the contestant must get them all right to win the car provides the suspense, but unlike other games where the higher-or-lower part is a way to win choices in the main game, in this case the higher-or-lower part is the main game.

I suppose it's okay, but as I said, it sounds less than creative or different to me (and, again, understandably so, given the number of games that have already been created).

MikeK

• Martha!
"More or Less"...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:37:54 PM »
Two words describe More or Less--uninspired and derivative.  I like the comparison to Golden Road but with significantly less bucks.  (10-karat golden road, anybody?)

BrandonFG

"More or Less"...
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146111\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 08:37 PM\']
Two words describe More or Less--uninspired and derivative.  I like the comparison to Golden Road but with significantly less bucks.  (10-karat golden road, anybody?)
[/quote]
Sounds like Fool's Golden Road to me.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

jmangin

"More or Less"...
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 08:46:21 PM »
Pyrite Parkway?

Casey Buck

"More or Less"...
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 08:52:43 PM »
Zirconia Zigzag?

TimK2003

"More or Less"...
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'146092\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 05:54 PM\']
I suppose it's okay, but as I said, it sounds less than creative or different to me (and, again, understandably so, given the number of games that have already been created).
[/quote]

This might be the start of some other changes.  Once Bob leaves (and it's probably a safe bet that there may be at least one or two other members of the old TPiR guard who might hang it up as well), Fremantle will be saving a big hunk of cash.  

It's probably safe to say that Fremantle will want to try to save even more.  One likely event is to put a freeze on spending to create and design any new pricing games, and also to put a freeze on revamping any current games (unless its to hide any cosmetic blemishes for those watching it on HDTV).  

There are going to be too many eyes focused on the new host for at least the next year -- most probably won't even notice the lack of new games for the foreseeable future.

davemackey

"More or Less"...
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 03:37:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'146092\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 04:54 PM\']
I think the pricing games well has just about run dry--and let's face it, there's only so much you can do with prices and digits.[/quote]
That said, see if you can figure out which genius on the Price staff came up with this game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"More or Less"...
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 03:48:12 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'146091\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 01:40 PM\']"Golden Road" with a lot less gold at the end.[/quote][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146111\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 05:37 PM\']Two words describe More or Less--uninspired and derivative.  I like the comparison to Golden Road but with significantly less bucks.  (10-karat golden road, anybody?)[/quote]I don't buy the comparison. You could say the same thing about Step Up, It's In the Bag, or Triple Play, really. And I don't see how any of the games are really inspired or original after the first couple of handfuls. You're pricing stuff. As Mike said...

[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'146092\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 01:54 PM\']I think the pricing games well has just about run dry--and let's face it, there's only so much you can do with prices and digits.

<snippety snip snip>

I suppose it's okay, but as I said, it sounds less than creative or different to me (and, again, understandably so, given the number of games that have already been created).[/quote]I would like to see more games like this that reward pricing knowledge, and rely less on gadgets and gimmickry. And "uninspired and derivative" would describe any of the two-dozen or so of games that boil down to "Which of these choices is the correct price?" (Balance Game, Flip Flop, Side by Side, Squeeze Play, Freeze Frame...I could go on)

I'll stick with "inoffensive," and after being reminded of "Half-Off," I would deem that a massive improvement.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"More or Less"...
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 08:20:11 AM »
"Golden Road" with a lot less gold at the end.
The way it was described it sounds more like Bonus Game with the added requirement that the contestant get them all right.

I think the pricing games well has just about run dry--and let's face it, there's only so much you can do with prices and digits.
You know that, I know that, and the whole board knows it. Still, it will be fascinating (for lack of a better word) to see what Howard Huntridge and company come up with to try to disprove this notion.

It's probably safe to say that Fremantle will want to try to save even more. One likely event is to put a freeze on spending to create and design any new pricing games, and also to put a freeze on revamping any current games
That doesn't make sense. Given the money they'll save with Barker gone, they'll have a bigger wad o' cash to spend on new games (the physical games aren't that expensive to build). What they won't have are ideas.