Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows that won't be rerun again  (Read 5487 times)

johnnya2k3

Game shows that won't be rerun again
« on: February 18, 2007, 03:41:40 AM »
There are some shows in which its episodes are still gathering decades of dust in the vaults, but won't see the light of day on GSN anytime soon.

Now You See It '89 is one of them, as Chuck Henry wanted to take his news anchor job very seriously. Of course, when we brought that up after he was nearly killed covering the California wildfires, many thought the short-lived NYSI revival with him was better than the original Jack Narz version (which put some to sleep).

Your Number's Up is still in Sony's library (probably buried next to old tapes of Wheel and Jeopardy), but won't be shown ever again because NBC would be getting entries for a show that's been off the air for over 20 years!! And we don't know the episode status of "Hit Man", but there's no chance GSN will show them (even as we approach the one-year anniversary of the plane crash that killed Peter Tomarken) because of licensing issues with the clips they used. Besides, it's a game show, not the History Channel!

But I wouldn't be surprised if episodes of these shows pop up on YouTube. What others will we won't see again for obvious reasons?

Jonathan Allen

Terry K

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:11:36 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' post=\'146205\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 04:41 AM\']
There are some shows in which its episodes are still gathering decades of dust in the vaults, but won't see the light of day on GSN anytime soon.

Now You See It '89 is one of them, as Chuck Henry wanted to take his news anchor job very seriously. Of course, when we brought that up after he was nearly killed covering the California wildfires, many thought the short-lived NYSI revival with him was better than the original Jack Narz version (which put some to sleep).

Your Number's Up is still in Sony's library (probably buried next to old tapes of Wheel and Jeopardy), but won't be shown ever again because NBC would be getting entries for a show that's been off the air for over 20 years!! And we don't know the episode status of "Hit Man", but there's no chance GSN will show them (even as we approach the one-year anniversary of the plane crash that killed Peter Tomarken) because of licensing issues with the clips they used. Besides, it's a game show, not the History Channel!

But I wouldn't be surprised if episodes of these shows pop up on YouTube. What others will we won't see again for obvious reasons?

Jonathan Allen
[/quote]

TPIR once Bob leaves is going to be debatable.  Its entirely possible CBS won't allow Bob's reruns to be shown, in the name of giving the new host (whomever that be) a chance.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »
Anything hosted by Mariane Curan or Mel Peachey.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 09:21:55 AM »
It's believed, but not confirmed AFAIK, that "Dealer's Choice" with Bob Hastings/Jack Clark exists, but it's never been seen since it was in first-run syndication, in '74-'75.

Seems like it would be great for GSN to rerun as part of some block with the rest of their gambling-themed shows, though.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' post=\'146205\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 03:41 AM\']And we don't know the episode status of "Hit Man", but there's no chance GSN will show them (even as we approach the one-year anniversary of the plane crash that killed Peter Tomarken) because of licensing issues with the clips they used.[/quote]
All of Hit Man's run exists, even the first pilot with the unlikeliest of hosts.  Brandon Tartikoff thought this person would be a great host, but Tartikoff's demands of this person were a bit too much.  The person?  Jay Wolpert himself.  Tartikoff wanted Jay to wear a rug and to lose 20 lbs.

There are no music/image rights issues with Hit Man.  All media used on Hit Man had a one-time only lease.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:21:24 PM by MikeK »

tyshaun1

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146227\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 01:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' post=\'146205\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 03:41 AM\']And we don't know the episode status of "Hit Man", but there's no chance GSN will show them (even as we approach the one-year anniversary of the plane crash that killed Peter Tomarken) because of licensing issues with the clips they used.[/quote]
All of Hit Man's run exists, even the first pilot with the unlikeliest of hosts.  Brandon Tartikoff thought this person would be a great host, but Tartikoff's demands of this person were a bit too much.  The person?  Jay Wolpert himself.  Tartikoff wanted Jay to wear a rug and to lose 20 lbs.

There are no music/image rights issues with Hit Man.  All media used on Hit Man had a one-time only lease.
[/quote]
Interesting info, Mike. So how'd they get from Wolpert to Tomarken? I know Peter hosted (at least) 2 pilots for him, but why not Peter from the outset?

Tyshaun

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'146230\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 02:16 PM\']Interesting info, Mike. So how'd they get from Wolpert to Tomarken? I know Peter hosted (at least) 2 pilots for him, but why not Peter from the outset?[/quote]
I can't tell you.  I know that Tartikoff saw something in Wolpert, but the rug and weight demands were two requests which Jay refused.  When Jay declined, Tomarken got the gig (AFAIK, not at the insistence of Tartikoff) and the rest is history.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 02:40:07 PM »
It's believed, but not confirmed AFAIK, that "Dealer's Choice" with Bob Hastings/Jack Clark exists, but it's never been seen since it was in first-run syndication, in '74-'75.

I believe Dealer's Choice falls under the same license as Fun Factory and Diamond Head Game, so I want to say that if it did still exist, GSN would have found a way to run an episode of it by now.  Because they didn't, I'm suggesting that GSN doesn't have it...of course, it could exist...somewhere.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 02:52:50 PM »
I believe Dealer's Choice falls under the same license as Fun Factory and Diamond Head Game, so I want to say that if it did still exist, GSN would have found a way to run an episode of it by now. Because they didn't, I'm suggesting that GSN doesn't have it...of course, it could exist...somewhere.

I'm not 100% in agreement with the notion that if GSN's had the rights to the a program, they'd have aired it by now.
GSN's never aired Jim McKrell's New Quiz Kids or Way Out Games , both of which have always been part of the Columbia-Tristar library. They even have some Blankety Blanks , yet they've inexplicably never aired it.
I'm sure Mr. Schwartz could easily clear up the Dealer's Choice query...

--Jamie
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:55:08 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Justin Dyer

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:40:50 PM »
We'll probably never see The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 11:08:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Justin Dyer\' post=\'146235\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 11:40 AM\']
We'll probably never see The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.
[/quote]
Right, because Fremantle and Sony own the rights to those respective shows (the former has the tapes).

The Joe Farago episodes of Break the Bank '85 have been shown on what is now ABC Family, but the Gene Rayburn version won't be.

And Just Men! is also in Sony's vaults, but GSN hasn't shown it yet.

Jonathan Allen

irismason42

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 11:20:55 PM »
GSN showed a brief clip of Just Men a week or two ago with the Famous Women Game Show Famers hour.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 11:55:55 PM »
MH/HS raises an interesting point.  Since the MG portion was still somewhat faithful to the previous version and still fun, why not just show the Match Game portion and then Sony would avoid having to pay Sony for the HS portion?  When the transition to HS occurs, opt not to show it and just cut to the super match end game segment.  Show would be reduced to a half-hour, but we'd be able to see that fantastic set again.

CJBojangles

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 12:27:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'146282\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 11:55 PM\']
MH/HS raises an interesting point.  Since the MG portion was still somewhat faithful to the previous version and still fun, why not just show the Match Game portion and then Sony would avoid having to pay Sony for the HS portion?  When the transition to HS occurs, opt not to show it and just cut to the super match end game segment.  Show would be reduced to a half-hour, but we'd be able to see that fantastic set again.
[/quote]

As much as I'd like to see some MGHSH on GSN, there's no way that would work.

Given, there's been plenty of times where GSN has paid no attention to continuity in airing shows, but a game where two contestants play a frontgame and some other person seemingly out of the blue plays the SuperMatch? I think that would be a little confusing.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:36:32 AM »
I'm not sure it would be that confusing.  Just have a bumper that said "Defending champ John and Mary played HS and Mary won and is now going for the big-money supermatch."

Of course, there are those who probably want to actually see the coin toss when a host says, "We tossed a coin backstage..."