Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Password End game question  (Read 5762 times)

cmjb13

Super Password End game question
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
The answer for B is "Batman". Clue giver says "Bat", waits a few seconds, then says "Man".

Illegal or acceptable?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

JamesVipond

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »
"Bat" is probably not an acceptable clue for "Batman", because the clue giver is using part of the answer.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:42 AM »
[quote name=\'JamesVipond\' post=\'146313\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 10:34 AM\']
"Bat" is probably not an acceptable clue for "Batman", because the clue giver is using part of the answer.
[/quote]
I could swear I've seen an end game or two recently where the clue giver is using part of the answer and it's accepted. But I haven't seen the answer as a clue split up into two words.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TheLastResort

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'146312\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 10:29 AM\']
The answer for B is "Batman". Clue giver says "Bat", waits a few seconds, then says "Man".

Illegal or acceptable?
[/quote]
Perfectly acceptable.  Neither "bat" nor "man" is a form of the word Batman.  Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone try that trick...and if they did, it would probably just confuse the hell out of the partner.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:55:56 PM »
It's not a good clue anyway.  Bat....Ball?...Man...Batter?...NEXT....
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:59:57 PM »
Maybe like:

"Bat...

...Man...

...say...

...those...

...words...

...together..."
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'146380\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 04:59 PM\']
Maybe like: "Bat......Man......say......those......words......together..."
[/quote]
And now you've wasted six seconds where you could have said "Robin" with a rising inflection and gotten it in one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146382\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 08:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'146380\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 04:59 PM\']
Maybe like: "Bat......Man......say......those......words......together..."
[/quote]
And now you've wasted six seconds where you could have said "Robin" with a rising inflection and gotten it in one.
[/quote]

Not necessarily.

I just tried this word with my brother, and his first response was "bird", which would fit perfectly.

Maybe if you followed it with "Superhero", it would give you "Batman" in about 3 or 4 seconds.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:20:39 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'146390\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 06:05 PM\']
I just tried this word with my brother, and his first response was "bird", which would fit perfectly.
[/quote]
With an "opposite" inflection? Not hardly.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146397\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 10:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'146390\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 06:05 PM\']
[/quote]
With an "opposite" inflection? Not hardly.
[/quote]

DoorNumberFour has a point...not everybody's gonna go for the opposite inflection right away.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146408\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 08:48 PM\']
DoorNumberFour has a point...not everybody's gonna go for the opposite inflection right away.
[/quote]
This is like saying "You know, not everyone on Hollywood Squares is going to know to go for the block."

If anyone appearing on any Password game show, celebrity or civilian, doesn't understand what the opposite inflection means, they have no business being there. Period. Hell, when we play Password on Friday nights at Microsoft, we make sure anyone who is playing for the first time completely understands all three major inflections, to the point of giving them a cheat sheet to work from that we keep in the game box.

Sorry, I'm just not going to worry overmuch that that clue didn't pass the DoorNumberFour's Brother Test.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:55:13 PM by clemon79 »

SamJ93

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
Now, this leads us to another interesting hypothetical: say that this happened on P+ while the "no opposites" rule was in place.  Would "Robin" have been ruled an unacceptable clue?  It's not really an opposite in the purest sense, but it does imply "the other one who is NOT Robin," which in context is one...

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:02:33 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'146411\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 08:58 PM\']
Would "Robin" have been ruled an unacceptable clue?  It's not really an opposite in the purest sense, but it does imply "the other one who is NOT Robin," which in context is one...
[/quote]
I think this is where you gauge intent. If you give it with the inflection, then of course you should be buzzed. If you just say "Robin", it's probably legal (since you could simply be cluing from the phrase "Batman and Robin", but I don't think it's a very good first clue then. ("Gotham" or "Crusader" would probably be better, but far from definitive.)

TheLastResort

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 12:19:11 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'146411\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 11:58 PM\']
...say that this happened on P+ while the "no opposites" rule was in place.  Would "Robin" have been ruled an unacceptable clue?[/quote]
Not at all.  As you said, they're not opposites.  They're more like counterparts, like sun and moon, or dog and cat.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 12:21:05 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146410\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 11:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146408\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 08:48 PM\']
[/quote]
This is like saying "You know, not everyone on Hollywood Squares is going to know to go for the block."
[/quote]

No, it isn't.

If anyone appearing on any Password game show, celebrity or civilian, doesn't understand what the opposite inflection means, they have no business being there. Period. Hell, when we play Password on Friday nights at Microsoft, we make sure anyone who is playing for the first time completely understands all three major inflections, to the point of giving them a cheat sheet to work from that we keep in the game box.

I'm sure the contestant coordinators or someone else at the Password game shows probably told the players what to expect, and probably drilled the point fairly hard. Doesn't mean that someone will always know what the opposite might be (in the case of Batman, I think "Superman" might be a better opposite that "Robin"- more straightforward, keeps with the superhero theme of the word).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022