Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "More or Less"...  (Read 5110 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
"More or Less"...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'146133\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 03:48 AM\']
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'146091\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 01:40 PM\']"Golden Road" with a lot less gold at the end.[/quote][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146111\' date=\'Feb 16 2007, 05:37 PM\']Two words describe More or Less--uninspired and derivative.  I like the comparison to Golden Road but with significantly less bucks.  (10-karat golden road, anybody?)[/quote]I don't buy the comparison. You could say the same thing about Step Up, It's In the Bag, or Triple Play, really.[/quote]
I have no idea where you see any of those three games in More or Less, except for Step Up where you keep whatever you've won.  The esteemed Mr. Clementson compared More or Less to Bonus Game, which is much more accurate than comparing it to It's in the Bag or Triple Play.

Breaking down my comparison of Golden Road and More or Less...

Golden Road:  You walk from point A to point B to point C to point D to win prizes which escalate in price.  You choose the hundreds digit of each price.  You win whatever prizes you guess correctly, outside of the <$1 starting item.  The game ends when you screw up.

More or Less:  You walk from point A to point B to point C and presumably to point D to win prizes where the most expensive is always at the end.  You decide whether the price is higher or lower.  You win whatever prizes you guess correctly.  The game ends when you screw up.

In short, uninspired and derivative.

Casey

"More or Less"...
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146146\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 10:22 AM\']
In short, uninspired and derivative.
[/quote]
I think you could probably say this about more than half of the pricing games on the show really.  They are, for the most part, all based on 4 or 5 basic pricing concepts.  The pricing concept used in Bonus Game alone is used in (off the top of my head) Punch-A-Bunch, Shell Game, More or Less, Buy or Sell, Now or Then (sorta), and with a slight change, 5 Price Tags.  Bullseye and Check Out are direct knock offs of Grocery Game.  I guess my point is - I hope you aren't surprised by the fact that More or Less is just a new twist on an old concept.. They've been doing it for years.

Jimmy Owen

"More or Less"...
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »
Wouldn't it be a little cruel to introduce a  complicated new game during Bob's "home stretch"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jimmy_1

"More or Less"...
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 02:25:58 PM »
More Or Less - I say less of More or Less is more.
The game has all the intrigue of Time Is Money (which I guessed they ran out of ideas for complicated games).  When these comparatively simple games are played at a longer or slower pace than Step Up (a game I like quite well) or Side By Side without much else it drags.
Here are some possible reasons some didn't warm to More or Less right away:
1.) no props that are cool, funny looking, or flasy.  This game doesn't have a big scale that makes funny noises as it balances, or an oil painting Bob pulls up on curtains to display, big dice, or boxes that will burst with cash if opened.
2.) no catchphrase or music accompanies the game
3.) the 3 prizes (not the car) were yawners  (Sort of the way you go ho-hum when Buy Or Sell comes out.
4.) We all wanted to see what happens when you try for the car - and the person playing the game lives in a world where washers sell for over $2,000.

I think more creativity and care went into the sign behine the car than the rest of the game.  Oh well, Pocket Change and Stack The Deck still show signs of creativity.

Jimmy_1

"More or Less"...
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'146153\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 01:04 PM\']
Wouldn't it be a little cruel to introduce a  complicated new game during Bob's "home stretch"?
[/quote]

Bob could go out with a bang with a game to end all games.  How about a new game where the price of a car and another prize (maybe a chair) are all contained in one line.  A pair of puppets (sort of like Bert and Ernie) stand on a bridge and yell to Bob different ways to separate the numbers to differentiate the price of the car from the price of the price of the chair.  The nubers in each price must add to 18.  The contestant must guess whether Bert or Ernie is correct.  For the puppet the contestant says is incorrect, Bob rolls a double decker bus into the puppet, knocking the puppet off the bridge.  Now, Bob says clues to the correct price are in the four autograph books he stole from Bert and Ernie.  The contestant can win all four books (and all four clues) if he can arrange four 2-digit appliances in the order of price least to greatest, keeping the highest priced one for himself.  Next, if the contestant is conficent, he can sell back any autograph books he wins and keep the $500 bonus.  The game ends by skeeballs rolling out (Bob screams "let 'em roll" to release the balls) above the numbers which have been separated.  If the skeeballs line up in the same order as the separated numbers, we win.  Too complicated for Bob's home stretch?

davemackey

"More or Less"...
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'146146\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 11:22 AM\']In short, uninspired and derivative.
[/quote]
Now it can be told. "More or Less" was created by.....

Bob Barker.

Robert Hutchinson

"More or Less"...
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 04:11:36 PM »
No doubt inspired by what he's been saying a lot these last few years:

"You won, more or less."

Just put some capital letters and an exclamation point in there (throw out the comma), and you're good to go.

(Dammit, Time Is Money had interesting gameplay! I will defend "Grocery Switcheroo" to my dying day. It was the crap they added to make the name "work" that sucked.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MikeK

• Martha!
"More or Less"...
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy_1\' post=\'146158\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 02:41 PM\']Bob could go out with a bang with a game to end all games.  How about a new game where the price of a car and another prize (maybe a chair) are all contained in one line.  A pair of puppets (sort of like Bert and Ernie) stand on a bridge and yell to Bob different ways to separate the numbers to differentiate the price of the car from the price of the price of the chair.  The nubers in each price must add to 18.  The contestant must guess whether Bert or Ernie is correct.  For the puppet the contestant says is incorrect, Bob rolls a double decker bus into the puppet, knocking the puppet off the bridge.  Now, Bob says clues to the correct price are in the four autograph books he stole from Bert and Ernie.  The contestant can win all four books (and all four clues) if he can arrange four 2-digit appliances in the order of price least to greatest, keeping the highest priced one for himself.  Next, if the contestant is conficent, he can sell back any autograph books he wins and keep the $500 bonus.  The game ends by skeeballs rolling out (Bob screams "let 'em roll" to release the balls) above the numbers which have been separated.  If the skeeballs line up in the same order as the separated numbers, we win.  Too complicated for Bob's home stretch?[/quote]
That's near perfection.  If you get Roger to dress up as Bert and Rich Fields to be Ernie, then you have a hit.  Bonus points if the skeeballs are thrown at someone's genitals, double if they're Bob's.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"More or Less"...
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »
More or Less: You walk from point A to point B to point C and presumably to point D to win prizes where the most expensive is always at the end. You decide whether the price is higher or lower. You win whatever prizes you guess correctly. The game ends when you screw up.
The basic problem for the contestants in Bonus Game, Shell Game and More or Less is "$80 is the wrong price. Is the right price higher (more) or lower (less)?". Doesn't matter if the contestants stand still, walk, or hop on a pogo stick.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 05:25:04 PM by chris319 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
"More or Less"...
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »
To condense what I said elsewhere, More or Less is what happens when Golden Road and Buy or Sell has a baby that grows up to be that really hot chick in school you always wanted to date.  The set pieces looked really nice, but there's not much in terms of what's upstairs.

If this makes it into the rotation, I could easily see it being played first, a lot.
This signature is currently under construction.

Steve Gavazzi

"More or Less"...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 06:20:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'146194\' date=\'Feb 17 2007, 11:37 PM\']
If this makes it into the rotation...[/quote]

What do you mean, "if?"  It was played on Friday.

CJBojangles

"More or Less"...
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »
For those of you who still haven't seen it, it can finally be seen in all its glory(?) on YouTube.

More or Less

ClockGameJohn

"More or Less"...
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
If this makes it into the rotation, I could easily see it being played first, a lot.
[/quote]

The only real issue is the conflicts it has with so many other games of "That is not the right price...is the right price higher or lower?" which will cause it to be pushed back in rotations to allow for other playings.

As for it being played first...I'd highly doubt that.  They don't like to have audience entrances when they aren't necessary.

mcsittel

"More or Less"...
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'146254\' date=\'Feb 18 2007, 05:20 PM\']
If this makes it into the rotation...[/quote]

What do you mean, "if?"  It was played on Friday.
[/quote]

And a 2nd time on Wednesday's show... with better results.  

For the two items revealed that were "MORE", the color schemes on the "MORE"s behind the sliders were quite different... a blue/yellow vs. yellow/pink if I recall right.  The "LESS"es were identical though.  I wonder if someone used a 'leftover' MORE from an earlier design?

Matt
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:16:05 PM by mcsittel »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
"More or Less"...
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 06:35:44 PM »
In person, the letters in the "LESS"es were in slightly different colors -- I think perhaps one was pink and one was red? So they were supposed to be different, too; it just didn't read as well on TV.

--
Scott Robinson