Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PBS takes on game shows  (Read 1602 times)

DrBear

PBS takes on game shows
« on: February 26, 2007, 06:12:52 AM »
According to this article, PBS is planning a series of shows under the umbrella title "Pioneers of Television." The series will feature four hours, each specializing on a specific topic: [font=\"Arial\"]sitcoms, late night, variety and game shows. The shows are due to air NEXT winter or early spring - in short, about a year from now.

Among the interviewees: [/font][font=\"Arial\"]Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Art Linkletter, Andy Griffith, Betty White, Phyllis Diller, Jim Nabors, Marlo Thomas, Jonathan Winters, Andy Williams, Ed McMahon, Merv Griffin, Bob Barker and Tom Smothers.

The people involved did a show, "Pioneers of Primetime," for PBS in 2005. I don't remember it - if anyone does, was it good?
[/font]
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

PBS takes on game shows
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'146896\' date=\'Feb 26 2007, 05:12 AM\']
According to this article, PBS is planning a series of shows under the umbrella title "Pioneers of Television." The series will feature four hours, each specializing on a specific topic: [font=\"Arial\"]sitcoms, late night, variety and game shows. The shows are due to air NEXT winter or early spring - in short, about a year from now.

Among the interviewees: [/font][font=\"Arial\"]Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Art Linkletter, Andy Griffith, Betty White, Phyllis Diller, Jim Nabors, Marlo Thomas, Jonathan Winters, Andy Williams, Ed McMahon, Merv Griffin, Bob Barker and Tom Smothers.

The people involved did a show, "Pioneers of Primetime," for PBS in 2005. I don't remember it - if anyone does, was it good?
[/font]
[/quote]

Didn't see it--Aaron Barnhart of the KC Star and tvbarn.com (who I do stuff for), did see the original and more or less considered it el cheapo pledge drive fluff.

Which some people consider those "Broadway's Golden Age" docs PBS runs around pledge time (or at least the people behind "Forbidden Broadway" do), and they seem to bring in the bucks.  YMMV--most likely that if all you want is nostalgia, these shows will give it to you in spades.

tpirfan28

PBS takes on game shows
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »
I can't wait to see this.  There's no doubt in my mind that this will be put together well, and the final product will be crisp.  Probably will be a lot (if not all) of those E! THS specials.

Anyone else, just based on the title of the topic, hope for a revival of [color=\"#000000\"]"[font=\"Arial\"]Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego[/font][/b]?"[/color]
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

ChuckNet

PBS takes on game shows
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
Anyone else, just based on the title of the topic, hope for a revival of "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?"

Personally, I thought it'd be another "adult" GS, which they haven't done since the short-lived Think Twice back in 94.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

PBS takes on game shows
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »
I'd rather have a revival of "We Interrupt This Week."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.