Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal  (Read 8436 times)

Ian Wallis

Deal or No Deal
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:01:31 AM »
For most of us, the rose seems to have come off the thorn for Deal or No Deal a while back, but I'm wondering how many people here actually still make a point of watching it regularly?

I was trying to catch pretty well every episode up until a month or so ago, but I've hardly watched it since and I haven't really missed it.  

I'll still watch it if I happen to catch it, or a promo looks interesting, but it's not "appointment television" any more.

Anyone else?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

itiparanoid13

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 09:08:40 AM »
I just got a TV at my office in work so I don't sit in silence, and I'm able to watch the Monday episodes again if I care to.  At the beginning of this season, I watched it pretty frequently (this was before I got my new job).  It was getting a lot better about dumping the constant needless surprises and stunts, but this sweeps period was just awful, and I am basically done with it.  I don't miss an episode of 1VS100 if I'm not out with people by that time; that show is appointment television for me, but in regards to DoND, whatever.  To me, it's just a buffer before Heroes now if I've already seen Daily Show/Colbert Report for that day.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:09:59 AM by itiparanoid13 »

cmjb13

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:12:13 AM »
I'm pretty much the same way.

When it was first on, I wouldn't miss it for anything. Then I would only watch the last 10 minutes or so.

Once they started bringing in these special guests, surprise family members, and more importantly, consistent obnoxious contestants, that was it for me.

I sampled a bit of 1 vs. 100, and really didn't care much for it. Audience screaming and applauding at everything really lost it for me. I don't care how good the game is, if the audience goes wacky for everything, I can't watch.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:14:01 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:17:59 AM »
I like to support a show when it is first starting out, or if it is in danger of being cancelled.  After I know it is here to stay, I pretty much stop watching.  Usually only in the company of others do I watch established shows.  I haven't watched WOF in 20 years or so.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

curtking

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'147241\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 10:01 AM\']
For most of us, the rose seems to have come off the thorn for Deal or No Deal a while back, but I'm wondering how many people here actually still make a point of watching it regularly?
[/quote]
I do watch it regularly, but I've found I enjoy it far more on Tivo's "one arrow fast forward" setting.  Near the end of the game, I might watch it at regular speed.

tvmitch

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
DoND is like TPiR for me...I can watch an hour long episode off the DVR in about 5-7 minutes. Play at regular speed for the exciting parts. Since the NBC promos pretty much give away the outcome of the show 75% of the time, I don't feel a need to watch.
You should follow me on Twitter

vtown7

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »
Interesting thread, Ian.

I have made sure to watch all of the Canuck deal episodes because for some reason it's engaging to watch people from my country play for the money, and there is a more "homey" feel to it.  I enjoy the audience as they really get into it.

And I watch the Quebecoise version (Le Banquier) when I'm around.  Interesting point to note: they play two episodes (wed-thurs) and almost always get through three players exactly.

As for the US version though, nope.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
If I'm ever in the mood, I grab an ep of the Australian edition off the intarweb. Howie's? Nope.
@lambertman

Matt Ottinger

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:55:59 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' post=\'147246\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 10:30 AM\']I do watch it regularly, but I've found I enjoy it far more on Tivo's "one arrow fast forward" setting.  Near the end of the game, I might watch it at regular speed.[/quote]
I'll even do two-arrow a lot of the time.  I'll stop if there's some oddball thing happening (unlike a lot of you, I get a kick out of what weird things they'll come up with) and I'll watch in regular speed if there's big money left at the end.  It's still on my season pass, though I don't end up seeing every episode, and I'll cancel it for the smallest thing (Foxworthy's show Wednesday, for example).
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
Our newsroom has TVs on both sides of the room, all on the local stations, so it's hard for me not to see what's going on. I occasionally watch to see what oddball stunt they've come up with, but for the most part, I'll get an occasional glance, shrug, and go back to what I was doing.

The stunts, obnoxious manufactured contestants, even more obnoxious peanut gallery, and even more obnoxious audience turned me away from this show. As for 1 vs. 100, the applauding every decision is dumb, esp. when you know when the contestant has chosen a wrong answer. As much as I hate cheering for everything (on any TV show), I can tolerate it on 1 vs. 100.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
I record it for the most part,  but if I miss an episode because there are other things I have to record, it's no big deal.  Maybe because it's starting to swerve into overkill territory or because I forget it's on occasionally, I haven't really watched lately.

Telemundo's "Vas O No Vas", however, I try to catch.  My lackluster Spanish aside, I enjoy the question round and the host's outgoing personality.  Yeah, others might watch for the Bomboletz, and that's okay too.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'147250\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 11:37 AM\']
If I'm ever in the mood, I grab an ep of the Australian edition off the intarweb. Howie's? Nope.
[/quote]

What's the Aussie BitTorrent site?
-Sanford

uncamark

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 05:33:36 PM »
I'm still looking at every episode, but I have to admit that it's become more of a chore--especially with stunts like having the choir singing the "Tater Cake" song the other night--which wasn't really a song!

At least most nights, if I don't fall asleep, there's usually "J!" to cleanse my palate on the DVR.  One can quibble about the minor tweaks in recent years, but it's still Old Dependable for me.

Ian Wallis

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:30:55 AM »
Usually only in the company of others do I watch established shows. I haven't watched WOF in 20 years or so.

I'm the same way.  During the '80s, I watched Wheel and Jeopardy almost every night, but in the past 20 years I've rarely watched.  I'll still catch it on occasion, such as season premieres, double dollars or a 74-game winning streak; but WWTBAM is on at 7 where I live, and for me that takes priority over Wheel.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

narzo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
haven't watched in months.  I will still grab a UK version on the internet from time to time.