Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal  (Read 8435 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 06:58:14 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'147269\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 02:19 PM\']
What's the Aussie BitTorrent site?
[/quote]

diwana.org.
@lambertman

TravisP

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'147247\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 10:41 AM\']
DoND is like TPiR for me...I can watch an hour long episode off the DVR in about 5-7 minutes. Play at regular speed for the exciting parts. Since the NBC promos pretty much give away the outcome of the show 75% of the time, I don't feel a need to watch.
[/quote]

You summed it up there. The NBC version has now got too much hype, people screeching and not concentrating on the game. Also I detest what I call "the subs bench". We only have one supporter sitting in the audience (two at most) for the games here. Plus Noel hates supporters who take over the contestant and control the game.

Also its a spoiler free zone on Channel 4 as well.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 09:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'147341\' date=\'Mar 2 2007, 06:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'147247\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 10:41 AM\']
DoND is like TPiR for me...I can watch an hour long episode off the DVR in about 5-7 minutes. Play at regular speed for the exciting parts. Since the NBC promos pretty much give away the outcome of the show 75% of the time, I don't feel a need to watch.
[/quote]

You summed it up there. The NBC version has now got too much hype, people screeching and not concentrating on the game. Also I detest what I call "the subs bench". We only have one supporter sitting in the audience (two at most) for the games here. Plus Noel hates supporters who take over the contestant and control the game.

Also its a spoiler free zone on Channel 4 as well.
[/quote]
Gee, isn't America great?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Card Shark

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'147241\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 09:01 AM\']
For most of us, the rose seems to have come off the thorn for Deal or No Deal a while back, but I'm wondering how many people here actually still make a point of watching it regularly?

I was trying to catch pretty well every episode up until a month or so ago, but I've hardly watched it since and I haven't really missed it.  

I'll still watch it if I happen to catch it, or a promo looks interesting, but it's not "appointment television" any more.

Anyone else?
[/quote]
I used to have my DVR set up to tape the series. I got rid of it several months back. With a new baby, I don't have time to watch a lot of tv. I lost interest in the overexposure of the show. I am sure that because of this, Endemol execs haven't been able to stop their tears :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:12:47 PM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

TravisP

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »
Gee, isn't America great?

Other game shows I have seen in the past and present have been fine, but I find Deal where they have gone "over the top" in their presentation, also their countless gimmicks and changes to the game board hasn't help. Okay, we do have the occasional gimmick (and countless puns), where The Banker & Noel pokes fun at a contestant. Other that that, its mostly concentrating on the game.

We've had more games than NBC though, it will be our 400th this Monday.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:26:34 AM by TravisP »

Speedy G

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
It's not really interesting drama for me anymore.  Entertaining myself by trying to guess the offers doesn't even work anymore.  The contestants are interchangeable and rarely memorable, despite the producers' attempts to make every single game seem like the BEST. THING. EVER.

At this point, it's more entertaining to predict/make fun of the direction of the show when I watch it than to actually pay attention to the game.  For example, did you know that you could swap the supporters' bench introductions with MXC "contestant" "introductions" and not tell the difference?

Reading the Bother's Bar UK Deal summaries at lunch has become practically a daily ritual (and I'll come back and watch the more interesting episodes).  I really don't feel that broken up over missing our version.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

MikeK

• Martha!
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
How can anybody be interested in the show when NBC sucks the drama out of the following episode by spoiling it during the credits or commercial breaks on other NBC shows?  Despite that, my TiVo snags every episode.  If NBC didn't ruin the outcome of the game, I'll take my time to watch it.  Otherwise, I'll triple fast forward to the end of the offer which NBC spoiled.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 11:33:58 PM »
In the last few episodes, I was starting to get interested when the first and second offers were actually interesting sums of money, as least in terms of the relative payoffs. I still have major problems with someone being offered $80,000 for opening the right six cases, but it's an improvement over the "Your offer is $14,000." "No deal!" <thunk!> that we get every other episode.

I think there are two fundamental problems with the show: one that can't be fixed, one that the producers choose to not fix. First is the insanely top-heavy money tree that guarantees $100,000 or more will be offered to all but the unluckiest players. In this, the producers shot their wad early by sticking to the board that they have. I wonder how many Average Viewers would notice if the $400,000 spot was replaced by $2, but I would be willing to say that almost everyone would notice if the top values were cut to 50-100-200-500k, then the million, and scaling back of the middle values as well.

Second, as we know, is the contestants, and as long as the show remains fresh in the public consciousness, we're going to have a circus two times a week.

To go back to the original question, I will listen to the episodes on my radio if I'm at work and the signal comes in properly. If not, it's no big loss. If I had a Tivo, I'd probably two-arrow until the rounds of open-offer-open-offer, and then probably single-arrow through the rest.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'147394\' date=\'Mar 3 2007, 08:33 PM\']
but I would be willing to say that almost everyone would notice if the top values were cut to 50-100-200-500k, then the million, and scaling back of the middle values as well.
[/quote]
And that doesn't fix the problem, which is that as long as that million exists, it's going to inflate the hell out of the payouts.

Mind you, it's obvious that NBC doesn't find this to be a problem.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 06:56:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147397\' date=\'Mar 4 2007, 04:57 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'147394\' date=\'Mar 3 2007, 08:33 PM\']
but I would be willing to say that almost everyone would notice if the top values were cut to 50-100-200-500k, then the million, and scaling back of the middle values as well.
[/quote]
And that doesn't fix the problem, which is that as long as that million exists, it's going to inflate the hell out of the payouts.

Mind you, it's obvious that NBC doesn't find this to be a problem.
[/quote]

I don't see why that's a problem, the game is essentially Big Money Chicken after all, the game doesn't seem to work very well unless your top value is a very large jump to the one before. It's the $750,000 that ruins it really.

MikeK

• Martha!
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 12:37:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147397\' date=\'Mar 3 2007, 11:57 PM\']And that doesn't fix the problem, which is that as long as that million exists, it's going to inflate the hell out of the payouts.

Mind you, it's obvious that NBC doesn't find this to be a problem.[/quote]
I'd respond with "My, but spending other people's money is fun!" but this is the reverse...  "My, but saving NBC's money is fun!" doesn't have the same emphasis. ;-)

I agree with Mr. Brig about the $750,000 being a square peg in a circle hole.  Put $2500 in place of the $750K and the board has a little more risk and is less top-heavy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:38:00 PM by MikeK »

Jimmy Owen

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »
I'm sure NBC is charging enough to advertisers (and eventually the advertisers are charging us) to more than cover the expenses.  So in a sense, it is our money they are spending.  My, NBC spending our money is fun!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TonicBH

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 05:04:06 AM »
It's an occasional watch for me, but what I don't like about the show has already been mentioned: top-heavy board, over-the-top contestants, surprises/gimmicks for every contestant, games going ungodly long...

If they fixed the board, ditched the surprises and tightened up gameplay (you should be able to get 2 games in, not one, in an hour's time), you'd have a better experience. And it would make more sense to have the rooting section introduced before the game starts, not after the second (or was it third?) deal offer.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

TimK2003

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »
Count me in with the "Used to Watch It/Tivo It Faithfully" crowd.

I cannot even recall the last time I watched an episode.  When I do see an occasional episode, it looks like I'm watching one of those sitcom shows in which one of the major cast members goes on a game show and does everything but play the game the way normal people would.

Even if the 26 models were to wear thong bikinis from here on out on the show, I still don't think I would make it appointment TV each night that it's on because of the other annoying aspects of the show.

(However I would tape a few eps, splice out the annoying stuff and make sure I have a well stocked supply of BB&B merchandise on hand).

vtown7

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'147454\' date=\'Mar 5 2007, 05:04 AM\']
If they fixed the board, ditched the surprises and tightened up gameplay (you should be able to get 2 games in, not one, in an hour's time), you'd have a better experience. [/quote]

A quick comment: one of the Canuck Deal episodes had two full games in the hour slot and although it was a bit rushed it was a welcome one, the game flowed much nicer.

Mods: I don't think this is a spoiler as I haven't pointed to a specific episode, and they've all aired, but if you deem it to be please feel free to remove it!

R.