Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crosswords Cleared on NBC O&O's  (Read 6720 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Crosswords Cleared on NBC O&O's
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'146649\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 09:51 AM\']
New York:
J! aired in the wee hours on WNBC-4 for the first half of the '84-'85 season, until it moved to WABC-7 in January 1985 at 7pm (where it has stayed to this day).
[/quote]

Sorry to nitpick, Aaron...but if you read up, ABC-7 had J! on in the mid-afternoon when they first got it. It stayed there until the end of (assuming) the '86-'87 season, when Oprah moved to the 4 PM slot. Then it got stuck in Oprah's old slot at 10 before finally making the move to 7 PM (which I believe happened sometime in 1988).

I remember that mid-afternoon game show block WABC used to have- one season wonders always followed Jeopardy! First it was Name That Tune, then the second half of the syndicated Sale of the Century, then Card Sharks (more a year and 3/4 wonder, about), then the revival of Split Second (even though that was after the move to the morning). IIRC, once J! moved to night, they were paired with Hollywood Squares for a short time before the show moved down the dial to WPIX for its last year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:23:26 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'146637\' date=\'Feb 22 2007, 07:54 AM\']
On WEWS-TV Channel 5, the ABC affiliate in Cleveland, Jeopardy! has been on at 7:30pm since its 1984 debut.
Likewise, Wheel Of Fortune has been a 7pm show on TV-5 since its 1983 syndicated premiere.
Have any other stations out there cleared The WOF/J! combo at 7-8pm ET continuously over the same channel since '84?
[/quote]
WVEC, Wheel at 7, J! at 7:30.

TIDBIT: The season before, Wheel actually aired at 7:30. Love Connection was at 7.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
I so hope this gets cleared in Seattle, as I recall when Tom Bergeron's version of Hollywood Squares aired on KING 5 our NBC afffilate at 7:30 PM when it debuted and ran it that time slot until about a few weeks before the end of it's run in 2002(?). That show was aired on all of CBS's O&O's as I remember, since this show is going to be on NBC O&O's maybe KIRO 7 can run it although if KING 5 ran it they could air the show at 7:30 PM to replace Inside Edition which currently runs there now.

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »
about an hour ago I sent e-mails to all the television stations in the Seattle-Tacoma market asking if they were going to carry Let's Play Crosswords and also Temptations the new version of Sale of the Century. So far i've gotten an answer from only KOMO 4 our ABC affilate and they said they were not planning to carry the shows this fall, of course they already have Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! so that's okay. Hopefully i'll hear back from the rest of the stations soon.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »
[quote name=\'1984Gameshowsfan\' post=\'147160\' date=\'Feb 28 2007, 09:27 AM\']
I so hope this gets cleared in Seattle, as I recall when Tom Bergeron's version of Hollywood Squares aired on KING 5 our NBC afffilate at 7:30 PM when it debuted and ran it that time slot until about a few weeks before the end of it's run in 2002(?). That show was aired on all of CBS's O&O's as I remember, since this show is going to be on NBC O&O's maybe KIRO 7 can run it although if KING 5 ran it they could air the show at 7:30 PM to replace Inside Edition which currently runs there now.
[/quote]
Gawd, my aching head.

/and he's local, too
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:37:23 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 11:00:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147171\' date=\'Feb 28 2007, 01:36 PM\']
[quote name=\'1984Gameshowsfan\' post=\'147160\' date=\'Feb 28 2007, 09:27 AM\']
[/quote]
Gawd, my aching head.

/and he's local, too
[/quote]

/which is exactly how I feel about you know who.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147171\' date=\'Feb 28 2007, 01:36 PM\']
[/quote]
Gawd, my aching head.
[/quote]

Well said!

Even though March is a good distance from NATPE, things can change at a moment's notice in terms of clearances and stations can pick up shows and never even air them. In my market, MG 98 was set to air on the CBS affiliate (listed on the website and everything) but they backed out at the last minute and it wasn't seen until the last two weeks when it aired on the Fox affiliate as a placeholder for the then-new Family Feud. That same Fox affiliate said they wouldn't pick up the most recent Hollywood Squares, but did so 5 months into the first season anyway.

It's way too soon to tell, and calling up every station now is a waste of time for both parties and of bandwith here.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'147240\' date=\'Mar 1 2007, 05:34 AM\']
It's way too soon to tell, and calling up every station now is a waste of time for both parties and of bandwith here.
[/quote]
The vibe I get is that said caller has a *lot* of time to waste on such folly. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe