Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoND 3/6, and this morning  (Read 2024 times)

Clay Zambo

DoND 3/6, and this morning
« on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »
Since last night's How I Met Your Mother was a rerun, I thought I'd check in with Howie and the gang--and, yeah, Deal is way easier to take when viewed mostly on fast-forward.  

But I went into this morning's dress-tech of a show I'm working on; I hadn't seen the costumes until today.  I laughed long and inappropriately loudly when a character made an entrance wearing a kinky pink wig.  "Gee," I thought, "I guess it really is all about the 'fro!"
czambo@mac.com

davewalls

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »
Funny thing is...checking with DonD never crossed my mind. HIMYM was still a better option with a good rerun. After all, I needed to brush up on my Lithuanian....
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »
Gawd. And that episode was a perfect reminder of why I can't stand that show anymore. For a woman to look at a deal of $200K+, talk about how she's so po' and has crappy lawn furniture in her living room and a broken chair, and then fire off a BUT I WANT MOOOOOORE and slam the box shut, is just offensive to me on so many levels.

And then to even CONSIDER playing on at $400K+....she totally deserved to lose it all. And yet, she didn't. We have some chuckleheads here who I'm sure were bouncing up and down in their chairs at the thought of that amount of money being given away, but I was just sick.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mcsittel

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'147537\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 03:54 PM\']
Since last night's How I Met Your Mother was a rerun, I thought I'd check in with Howie and the gang--and, yeah, Deal is way easier to take when viewed mostly on fast-forward.  

But I went into this morning's dress-tech of a show I'm working on; I hadn't seen the costumes until today.  I laughed long and inappropriately loudly when a character made an entrance wearing a kinky pink wig.  "Gee," I thought, "I guess it really is all about the 'fro!"
[/quote]

My wife and I thought Anteia from Monday's DOND resembled Baby Bop from PBS' "Barney and Friends".  

Matt

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'147540\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 05:23 PM\']Gawd. And that episode was a perfect reminder of why I can't stand that show anymore. For a woman to look at a deal of $200K+, talk about how she's so po' and has crappy lawn furniture in her living room and a broken chair, and then fire off a BUT I WANT MOOOOOORE and slam the box shut, is just offensive to me on so many levels.[/quote]
Quoted for truth.

The $402,000 offer offended me more because it was over the mean of the values left on the board, approx. $383,000.  If the offer was $30,000 less (for poops and giggles sake, $370,000), it would've been more palatable and could have given the contestant a reason to play on, as 2/3 of the values in play would've been above $370,000.  Me?  I would've hit the button at $370,000 so hard that San Diego County would've felt a 5.5 earthquake.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
Today I was playing the Pressman home game with a few folks around here, and one guy actually decided to take the "banker's" first offer of less than $3000 and bail out early.  Had he stayed to the end, he'd have netted much, much more.  On the opposite end of things, we finished the game with myself as the contestant, and I eventually got down to three cases (including the one I picked as mine) having $75,000, $500,000 and the $1K.  I decided to turn down my "banker's" last six-figure offer and open one last case, figuring whichever amount would go, I'd still be in pretty good shape.  Off went the $500,000.  I then decided to make a gutsy decision to go all the way, and not trade cases.  The result?  Well, if this had been the actual show, I'd have made DoND history.

Realistically, the only way anyone will get the million on TV is if they're lucky enough to have their last three amounts be the million and any two six-figure amounts higher than maybe $200,000, then figure they'd be well off enough with any of those figures to risk losing the million and go all the way, and luck is on their side with a vengeance.

Of course, there's always the possibility that someone could end up with the board showing the million and $50 or less, and then get REAL gutsy and go on, and then be REALLY lucky...but don't hold your breath for that to happen.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:55:29 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'147560\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 06:33 PM\']
I then decided to make a gutsy decision to go all the way, and not trade cases.  The result?  Well, if this had been the actual show, I'd have made DoND history.
[/quote]
How gutsy is it, when you receive exactly the same prize (in this case, nothing) whether you were right about the decision or not?

I continue to be baffled that people still think that DoND is about the actual _game_ in the least.

(And you realize that there was a very good reason the one dude bailed on the first offer, and that it didn't have a thing to do with him thinking it was good, right?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'147544\' date=\'Mar 6 2007, 05:01 PM\']
I would've hit the button at $370,000 so hard that San Diego County would've felt a 5.5 earthquake.
[/quote]
Somehow, I don't think that's the only thing you would hit.

/admit it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dale_grass

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
The girlfriend and I were watching the "pink 'fro" episode.  At 7:40 CDT, there were 6 cases left to open.  I told my significant other that they wouldn't get to the next contestant.  She thought I was cracked.  As time passed, she slowly came to the same realization I did (and others on this board have) earlier: it isn't about the game.  First she's up talking to the models, then she and her family are standing on their chairs, then she and Howie have a nice little chat on the edge of the stage.  In a strange, twisted way, I have to give credit to producers.  The contestants pick numbers at random.  Then a dollar amount is shown.  They can either take the money and leave or keep picking cases, after which another dollar amount would be shown.  After a while, it'd be hard to tell one episode from the other.  Hence, all the ornamentation and goofy s**t to keep viewers interested.  I barely watched it before, and I watch it less now.  My two pennies.

(And if one more random-number-picking contestant says "I've worked too hard to quit now" or something along those lines, I'll fly out to L.A. and smack them around.)