Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcers/Warmer-Uppers  (Read 1380 times)

Don Howard

Announcers/Warmer-Uppers
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:10:07 AM »
As far back as I can remember, the person who served as announcer for a game show or talk show was also the individual who did the warm-up.
But thanks to this forum, I've now learned that while John Cramer announced on Twenty One, it was Randy West or Bob Hilton [both of whom I'd have rather had announcing] who fired up the crowd and there are other similar examples I can't think of right now.
When'd we get to the point where the announcer doesn't have to also warm up the crowd anymore?
Or am I mistaken in my belief that in most cases the same person performed both roles?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Announcers/Warmer-Uppers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:06:23 AM »
I recall that Rich Jeffries stuck around to do warmup on "Super Password" after Gene took the announcer's chair.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Win a Pile

Announcers/Warmer-Uppers
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
Rich stuck around to help wave applause for Gene, but Gene most definitely did the warm-up himself ... and was incredible at it.

[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'148383\' date=\'Mar 16 2007, 06:06 AM\']
I recall that Rich Jeffries stuck around to do warmup on "Super Password" after Gene took the announcer's chair.
[/quote]

catkins522

Announcers/Warmer-Uppers
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'148376\' date=\'Mar 16 2007, 09:10 AM\']
As far back as I can remember, the person who served as announcer for a game show or talk show was also the individual who did the warm-up.
But thanks to this forum, I've now learned that while John Cramer announced on Twenty One, it was Randy West or Bob Hilton [both of whom I'd have rather had announcing] who fired up the crowd and there are other similar examples I can't think of right now.
When'd we get to the point where the announcer doesn't have to also warm up the crowd anymore?
Or am I mistaken in my belief that in most cases the same person performed both roles?
[/quote]

Well, I was a newbie...Family Feud 2001, I had Mark L Walberg as the warm-up guy and Burton Richardson as the announer.  Mark warmed us up and during breaks, there was Burton just singing.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!