Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Earliest Game Show Memory...  (Read 26187 times)

Jimmy Owen

Earliest Game Show Memory...
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »
GSG: "What's This Song" was on at 10:30am and had celebs and contestants seated a la Password with singing clues. It ran for the 64-65 season and ended two days before "Fractured Phrases" began.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2007, 10:49:39 AM »
I think I recall  Truth Or Consequences coming on early . I remember calling it "Truth for Consequences".
I still say that Fractured Phrases was that "annoying" show since a musical game (like "What's This Song"*)  wouldn't have players sounding like they're crying or moaning (unless they sang THAT badly). That show HAD to be Fractured Phrases. Though I think today I'd really enjoy Fractured Phrases as Mad Gab is a fun game.

This topic had me thinking all day... I do remember Snap Judgment more clearly but don't remember the rule change near the end of it's run. (I guess at 7 yrs old words were words). Now I'm very curious... how was "The Big 5" presented. As the words popping out of the desk was so synonimous with Password, I think I'd remember it used on another show. Does anyone know how "The Big 5" was presented?

I always mix up "What's This Song" and "Words and Music" - ( I know Wink hosted both- regrettably I don't recall recall watching either.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:06:36 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

Yogi007

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »
The first memory that I can recall is from Jeopardy! in 1974.  (I was 10 at the time.)  My family went to visit my aunt and I remember that she was watching it.  I think that Concentration also comes to my mind as one of the first games to see, but it could be playing tricks with me.  30+ year memories are at times blurry, as some of you know!
sarcasm included at no extra charge

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2007, 12:32:19 PM »
It's just too bad that school got in the way of watching morning game shows.  I started school in the fall of 1965, so the only show I watched with any regularity during the school year on NBC was YDS! (MG was not cleared after around 65 by our local station) I sometimes wonder if I learned more by watching game shows, as I already knew the stuff they taught in grade school.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TonicBH

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2007, 12:58:54 PM »
For some reason, the handful of memories of game shows I have in my youth are mostly USA reruns of TTD (which I thought had a shag carpet and the board was stage left while host/contestant podiums were stage right), HR87, and Talk About among other game shows that reran on the network at the time.

Wouldn't be surprised if I remember watching TTD90 and TJW90 when they were in syndication.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'148883\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 12:58 PM\']
Wouldn't be surprised if I remember watching TTD90 and TJW90 when they were in syndication.
[/quote]

I caught Joker '90 exactly once when it was in syndication.

I remember it because it was the night I got up at 3:00 AM and started calling almost every single 900 number I knew. (Which wasn't many...I was only 7 or 8.) I went on for almost an hour and a half before my parents caught me...boy were they pissed.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148884\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 12:25 PM\']
I remember it because it was the night I got up at 3:00 AM and started calling almost every single 900 number I knew. (Which wasn't many...I was only 7 or 8.) [/quote]
So exactly what sweet words do the Care Bears whisper in a 7 year olds ear?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'148885\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148884\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 12:25 PM\']
I remember it because it was the night I got up at 3:00 AM and started calling almost every single 900 number I knew. (Which wasn't many...I was only 7 or 8.) [/quote]
So exactly what sweet words do the Care Bears whisper in a 7 year olds ear?
[/quote]

Um....eww.

(They didn't actually have a 900 number for the Care Bears...Did they? *shudder*)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »
I certainly learned "more" by watching game shows. I work with college students today who can't get the hang of signed numbers. BUT thanks to Jeopardy!, I knew negative numbers before first grade. I told my first grade teacher this and I remember her shutting me up for fear I'd confuse the other students.
I knew minus was BAD (you couldn't play Final J! - but on Art Fleming's version you still got to sit there and watch the others play.) Once I was SHOCKED when watching on my lunch break in 1st grade : the champ... (You won't believe this but I remember the player's name and have a sketchy image of what she looked like) finished Double J! with "$+  0 "  and she was told that awful Fleming line "According to the rules you may NOT play Final J!"... I was like BUT SHE HAS" $+ "!!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:40:58 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

aaron sica

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2007, 01:52:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148884\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:25 PM\']

I remember it because it was the night I got up at 3:00 AM and started calling almost every single 900 number I knew. (Which wasn't many...I was only 7 or 8.) I went on for almost an hour and a half before my parents caught me...boy were they pissed.
[/quote]

I was a good boy...I got permission....:) I was allowed to stay on the line for just a few minutes for the Family Feud 900 number game and also the LMAD 900 number game.....I was about 14 at the time, but I knew they were ripoffs once I called them...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'148886\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 10:35 AM\']
(They didn't actually have a 900 number for the Care Bears...Did they? *shudder*)
[/quote]
Oh, they sure did!

/What?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'148890\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:52 PM\']
I was a good boy...I got permission....:) I was allowed to stay on the line for just a few minutes for the Family Feud 900 number game and also the LMAD 900 number game.....I was about 14 at the time, but I knew they were ripoffs once I called them...
[/quote]

I remember the 900 number game that The Challengers did around the time of my 900 number escapade...hard to play when your grandma only has a rotary phone.

gsfreak82

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2007, 12:29:06 AM »
I remember I was 2 and watching an ep. of The Joker's Wild when Bill Cullen became Jack's permanent replacement.  That was the first time I saw the devil and it scared me for years.

daveromanjr

« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2007, 09:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfreak82\' post=\'148990\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 11:29 PM\']
I remember I was 2 and watching an ep. of The Joker's Wild when Bill Cullen became Jack's permanent replacement.  That was the first time I saw the devil and it scared me for years.
[/quote]
Thats funny, Ive been afraid of the cullen TJW episodes for years.

ChuckNet

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:46 PM »
I remember watching TJW on WCBS and had vague memories of the audience game, as well as pretending the big clutch in my dad's van was the bonus handle...also recall Pitfall, TTD, and Eubanks delivering his Golden Doors spiel on Dream House.

Oh, I also had a very vague memory of the Hit Man finale, though about all I remembered was Peter walking off the set @ the very end.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")