Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR grocery descriptions  (Read 4473 times)

Jimmy_1

TPIR grocery descriptions
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:58:35 PM »
Is there a reason TPIR mixes traditional descriptions of the small grocery prizes on some shows with simplistinc phrases to describe the same item on other shows?  For example, some shows they will describe a shampoo or food item saying the name of the product and reading what seems like a professionally prepared script ("Nobody makes cookies like Mr. Gumdrop with B12, vitamin E, and 50% more chocolate chips than the pricier cookies.")  Other days, the same product is described in a simple generic blurb ("cookies are always a tasty treat")  Wouldn't the advertisers prefer the first description over the latter every day to build some product recognition?  Is TPIR requiring a mixture of descriptions now?  If so, why?  Does one cost more than the other?  I was curious about this.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »
When the company actually pays for the product to be promoted, you get the "Chips Ahoy Cookies...great chocolate taste and soft chewy bite".  When they don't, you get your "Take chocolate chip cookies with you to lunch".

Unfortunately, it seems that TPiR is getting more and more of the latter.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'148490\' date=\'Mar 17 2007, 10:23 AM\']
When the company actually pays for the product to be promoted, you get the "Chips Ahoy Cookies...great chocolate taste and soft chewy bite".  When they don't, you get your "Take chocolate chip cookies with you to lunch".

Unfortunately, it seems that TPiR is getting more and more of the latter.
[/quote]

What I found interesting was when I went to CBS's official TPIR site, and went into their Q & A section.  If anyone asks where they can buy, or where they got a certain "generic" prize shown on the show (non-grocery item), they will say that they bought it from a specific website.

Some of TPiR's favorite sites to puchase generic-copy items include the websites of Target, Best Buy, and JCPenney.  

I'm surprised that the powers that be can't get the makers/sellers of these unnamed products to sign up or pay the additional $$$ to get their name attached to these products, especially if it is drawing enough interest in e-mails to the show directly.  

Sure, Veg-O-Matic may be getting their latest product plugged without their prior knowledge on national TV,
but if the consumer doesn't know whose 25-function food processor it is, they may run out to Wal Mart and buy the China-Crap knockoff version instead, thinking it's the one they saw on TV.

/Any wonder why I start humming TPIR cues every time I pass by our local Ashley Furniture store???/

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »
For small grocery items, I don't believe it would be worthwhile to pay for plugs on TPIR.  The two main audiences for the show are college students and the elderly.  The elderly already have made up their minds on what products to buy and will not be swayed by advertising.  As for college students, I don't know if things have changed from twenty years ago, but when I went to college I had a meal contract at the dorm, I never had a need to visit a supermarket.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »
As for college students, I don't know if things have changed from twenty years ago, but when I went to college I had a meal contract at the dorm, I never had a need to visit a supermarket.
Ramen Noodles. :-)

Most of the students (including myself) lived at Wal-Mart. The non-trust fund babies bought generic brand.

/and we liked it, dammit!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:41:59 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Footix

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 02:56:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'148494\' date=\'Mar 17 2007, 10:56 AM\']
/Any wonder why I start humming TPIR cues every time I pass by our local Ashley Furniture store???/
[/quote]

I'm told that when I was about 4, I was in the furniture department at Eaton's and shouted "It's a handsome armoire!"

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
I have nothing to add, except that the sub-header for this topic actually made me laugh out loud. But then, I have trouble not muttering "a tasty treat" whenever I walk past the Chips Ahoy cookies in the store.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MTCesquire

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »
I guess what I'm confused about is how are they allowed to use products on the show, grocery or otherwise, without the makers paying for their use?  Do the makers look at it as free promotion and not worry about it? My confusion comes from watching sitcoms and looking at them drink a can of SODA brand soda instead of Coke/Pepsi/RC.  I know they would have to pay Coke, or get them to sponsor the show, in order for them to use their logo on the sitcom.  As for TPIR, I wouldn't think they would be paying Nabisco to use Chips Ahoy, so with no money exchanging one way or the other, how does that work?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
Ramen Noodles. :-)

Most of the students (including myself) lived at Wal-Mart. The non-trust fund babies bought generic brand.
When I went to college circa 1975, the cheap meal was a Swanson pot pie, which at the time cost 25 cents. Adjusted for inflation, that same pot pie should cost 99 cents today, but the last time I looked they were only 49 cents, making them even more of a bargain (one could save a few pennies buying an off brand but the quality was markedly inferior).

In 1975 there was also a burgeoning cottage industry which supplied prizes to game shows. Now that game shows have about disappeared from network television, that industry has likely shrunken in proportion. It is possible that the promotional fees have diminished to the point where they now only buy one plug.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 10:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'148499\' date=\'Mar 17 2007, 11:45 AM\']
For small grocery items, I don't believe it would be worthwhile to pay for plugs on TPIR.  The two main audiences for the show are college students and the elderly.[/quote]

You don't believe in the housewife demographic anymore?

I guess what I'm confused about is how are they allowed to use products on the show, grocery or otherwise, without the makers paying for their use? Do the makers look at it as free promotion and not worry about it? My confusion comes from watching sitcoms and looking at them drink a can of SODA brand soda instead of Coke/Pepsi/RC. I know they would have to pay Coke, or get them to sponsor the show, in order for them to use their logo on the sitcom. As for TPIR, I wouldn't think they would be paying Nabisco to use Chips Ahoy, so with no money exchanging one way or the other, how does that work?

You're thinking about Product Placement.  Essentially, Company X provides either money and/or product for the characters in Sitcom Y to promiently use Company X's product.  This happens in movies, too.  There's one film in particular whose name I forget that features nothing but a FedEx delivery for the first 5 minutes of the movie.  Price can use the products that aren't sponsored because they bought them with their own money.

Here's a quick and painless explanation for the general question that's being addressed here.  I think.
This signature is currently under construction.

J.R.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 11:27:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'148604\' date=\'Mar 18 2007, 09:32 PM\']
 There's one film in particular whose name I forget that features nothing but a FedEx delivery for the first 5 minutes of the movie.
[/quote]

I believe that's Tom Hanks' "Cast Away" if I'm not mistaken.
-Joe Raygor

MTCesquire

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'148604\' date=\'Mar 18 2007, 09:32 PM\']

You're thinking about Product Placement.  Essentially, Company X provides either money and/or product for the characters in Sitcom Y to promiently use Company X's product.  This happens in movies, too.  There's one film in particular whose name I forget that features nothing but a FedEx delivery for the first 5 minutes of the movie.  Price can use the products that aren't sponsored because they bought them with their own money.

Here's a quick and painless explanation for the general question that's being addressed here.  I think.
[/quote]

OK, I understand now.  That FAQ cleared it up quite nicely.  Thanks a bunch!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »
What's funny (depending on your point of view) is that occasionally Rich will call the Chips Ahoy "chocolate chip cookies," then the contestant will refer to it as "the Chips Ahoy, Bob" (which Barker will sometimes echo verbatim instead of substituting the generic phrase).  So the plug gets in anyway.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'148630\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 09:42 AM\']
What's funny (depending on your point of view) is that occasionally Rich will call the Chips Ahoy "chocolate chip cookies," then the contestant will refer to it as "the Chips Ahoy, Bob" (which Barker will sometimes echo verbatim instead of substituting the generic phrase).  So the plug gets in anyway.
[/quote]
Well, that ship sailed the first time they took a shot of a big blue package with "CHIPS AHOY" emblazoned on it. They can avoid spouting the company line, but really, they're gonna give them _some_ free pub whether they like it or not.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 02:22:48 PM »
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I had a related question for Randy that I forgot to ask. How many of the product placements on "Supermarket Sweep" were paid? It's a little jarring for this American to watch Dale's show from the UK and hear no name-brands used whatsoever (therefore leading to the use of general-knowledge questions unrelated to shopping in the front game).

"Who's got the facial tissues?!" just wouldn't have been the same.
@lambertman