Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR grocery descriptions  (Read 4474 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR grocery descriptions
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
From the sig:
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'149288\' date=\'Apr 1 2007, 11:22 AM\']
Currently (or recently) blogging the 75 Greatest Songs Since 1989
[/quote]
All I'm gonna say is that this must me a _really_ short list. ;)

/have there BEEN 75 good songs since 1989? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 04:03:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'149288\' date=\'Apr 1 2007, 10:22 AM\']
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I had a related question for Randy that I forgot to ask. How many of the product placements on "Supermarket Sweep" were paid? It's a little jarring for this American to watch Dale's show from the UK and hear no name-brands used whatsoever (therefore leading to the use of general-knowledge questions unrelated to shopping in the front game).

"Who's got the facial tissues?!" just wouldn't have been the same.
[/quote]
The short answer is that I don't know how many of the brand name mentions were sold. But as the FCC requires disclosure of payment or other compensation on game shows, a look back at the credits for those episodes would show somewhere around a half-dozen corporate names. They included folks like Bertolli as well as less transparent entities.

I commented elsewhere that the show's creator and producer Al Howard was truly visionary in his crafting of the show over the decades to keep it relateable to the audience on so many big and small issues. I believe he found the right balance in the use of brand names to keep the feel authentic. As such, I think some of the references to items such as BOUNTY paper towels and TIDE detergent might have been more about reflecting the way viewers referred to these products than contractual.

Now, riddle me this: Why does federal law require disclosure of paid product placement deals on game shows, but not on dramatic shows where brand name items are routinely placed, mentioned and integrated into the program for a fee?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'149292\' date=\'Apr 1 2007, 03:03 PM\']
Now, riddle me this: Why does federal law require disclosure of paid product placement deals on game shows, but not on dramatic shows where brand name items are routinely placed, mentioned and integrated into the program for a fee?[/quote]

Don't know about the law, but I have noticed this season a number of "promotional consideration" credits on scripted shows this season, from "Andy Richter, P.I."'s Dell computer to "Heroes"' Apple computers to "The Office"'s Staples shredder, trip to the Olive Garden and--HP computers.  It would seem to me that since the nets don't do anything they don't have to do, there could be a law involved here.

ObGameShow:  For those who might be puzzled about the mezzi.com credit on "DOND," turns out Mezzi makes--aluminum and other metal briefcases.    I'm surprised they didn't demand that Howie say "Open the case from mezzi.com" every time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 07:59:49 PM »
This is nothing new. I remember seeing in the credits of color, post-quiz-scandal episodes of "My Three Sons", disclosures of automobiles being provided by Ford (?) Motor Company.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'149427\' date=\'Apr 3 2007, 07:59 PM\']
This is nothing new. I remember seeing in the credits of color, post-quiz-scandal episodes of "My Three Sons", disclosures of automobiles being provided by Ford (?) Motor Company.
[/quote]
And I can remember it being common in several detective dramas of the 60s and 70s. Usually Ford or Chrysler.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'149427\' date=\'Apr 3 2007, 07:59 PM\']
[/quote]

I remember that too, but I'm thinking it was during one of the early seasons of M3S when it was in B&W and on ABC. There was a season where the closing credits had drawings of cars and one where you see Fred MacMurray driving one.

mystery7

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 12:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'149443\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 09:27 AM\']
There was a season where the closing credits had drawings of cars and one where you see Fred MacMurray driving one.
[/quote]
The first season or two of Sons used film of actual Chevy Corvairs as the credit background.

I think some carmakers even got consideration on shows like Leave It To Beaver and Perry Mason pre-scandal.

rugrats1

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 08:23:29 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'149449\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 12:31 PM\']
I think some carmakers even got consideration on shows like Leave It To Beaver and Perry Mason pre-scandal.
[/quote]

The first couple of seasons of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" had a credit for Ford, solely because Mary drives one of their cars in the opening credits.