Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From 1973...meet Dennis James!  (Read 1606 times)

DrBear

From 1973...meet Dennis James!
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
Anybody remember an old magazine called Radical Software? Its online history calls it one of the first publications devoted to video.

Interesting at this site is an issue from 1973. The whole thing is interesting (a transcript in part of a Monday night football game takes up two pages) but of interest here are two pages of game show questions, and a three-page interview with Dennis James just as "The New Price is Right" is about to go on the air (plus two pages of highlight fotos from his career).

The issue in question (individual pages are PDFs or you can download the whole thing as a PDF.)

Haven't looked at the rest of the site, but there may be more interesting stuff in there.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

mmb5

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:27:52 PM »
Plus there's a bonus incorrect answer to one of the questions.  See if you can spot it.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »
I would absolutely love to see some of those trivia questions on a game show today (other than J! or Millionaire). Honestly, I'd love to see if the country can handle another difficult quiz.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

mmb5

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:53:34 PM »
And upon further review, there's something of incredible interest.

At UCLA, I stumbled upon a show called "The Game Show Show", which had interviews with Dennis James, Monty Hall, Jack Barry, Chuck Barris and Ralph Andrews.  Interspersed with the show were many stills of shows, color stills, that were obviously taken off a TV rather than publicity slides.  It stated it was produced for KCET.

Now if you look at this page, there is an advertisement for not only that special, but also an advertisement for the slides used in the special and "highlights of 25 shows".

I wonder if I can still buy a copy.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:07:54 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'148666\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 10:27 PM\']
Plus there's a bonus incorrect answer to one of the questions.  See if you can spot it.[/quote]
Ooh! Ooh! I know the answar!
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin