Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show Vault  (Read 8294 times)

ChuckNet

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 11:56:03 PM »
Name That Tune--doesn't mention the 1984 revival

I think this was due to McNeill not updating certain entries from the 1983 edition...other omissions occured b/c of this, such as the complete exclusion of Summer Bartholomew in the $otC entry and no mention of the short-lived 1987 Truth or Consequences revival.

Although, to McNeill's credit, he didn't implement his bias into entries the way "Syndicated Television" author Hal Erickson did...that guy's dislike of the GS genre was more apparent than Fred Silverman's.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 02:11:24 AM »
I don't think McNeil was biased against game shows.  He did appear on Jeopardy, as I recall.  I don't know if he will be updating old entries in future edtions of his book, though. Within the last year or so he offered his TV Guide collection on ebay.

Though Erickson was affecting snobbery with regards to game shows, the book had all the pertinent facts, dates and syndicators correct.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:13:32 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'147686\' date=\'Mar 9 2007, 02:11 AM\']
I don't think McNeil was biased against game shows.  He did appear on Jeopardy, as I recall.  I don't know if he will be updating old entries in future editions of his book, though. Within the last year or so he offered his TV Guide collection on ebay. [/quote]
With the advent of the internet and sites like IMDB and TV.com, the usefulness of regular updates of a single reference volume edited by a single individual is doubtful at best.  It will be interesting to see whether Brooks and Marsh continue to update their work.  They're usually four years between updates, which would make 2007 the next due date.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 09:16:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'147686\' date=\'Mar 9 2007, 02:11 AM\']
Though Erickson was affecting snobbery with regards to game shows, the book had all the pertinent facts, dates and syndicators correct.
[/quote]
Erickson's snobbery is not limited to the game show genre.  Trust me, I know.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Tim L

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 09:59:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'147644\' date=\'Mar 7 2007, 10:33 PM\']
Will previously-offered volumes make a return? I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the four-decade collection.

Yes. The 4 Decade Collection from the old store will be available again starting Sunday.

--Jamie
[/quote]

I may have seen it advertised earlier, but what are the contents of the 4-decade collection?..I didnt see it in your new store..Good luck to it..I hope to pick up some of the DVD's in the next
 few weeks/months
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:02:54 AM by Tim L »

Don Howard

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'147692\' date=\'Mar 9 2007, 09:59 AM\']
I may have seen it advertised earlier, but what are the contents of the 4-decade collection[/quote]
I got it a couple of months ago and I loved it.
One episode each from the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s.
The 1950s was Music Bingo starring Johnny Gilbert, who is a heck of a singer.
The 1960s is Seven Keys starring the great Jack Narz.
The 1970s features the episode of Jackpot that contains the $38000+ Super Jackpot win
The 1980s is a curiosity with hosts Anson Williams and Jayne Kennedy. It's a pilot that mercifully did not go to series where a number of your favorite television stars played video games. What fun it is to watch Philip McKeon, Mindy Cohn and others play video games. Marty Cohen provides commentary for the action.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:45:00 AM by Don Howard »

uncamark

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 06:24:07 PM »
I have heard that the "reference" division of Brooks and Marsh's publishers, Ballantine Books, where their book was placed under, was closed down a couple of years ago.  If there's a new edition, it will be with a different publisher.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
The Game Show Vault
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
Spring Break's over, now back to work. Page O' Clips and Game Show Vault will both be updated this week.
Also, Gameshowvault.com is offering a large bundle of game show memorabilia including tickets, games, and DVDs on Ebay.

The offering can be found here.

Split Second's 35th Anniversary is coming up, and I've been planning something special for that time...

--Jamie

BrandonFG

The Game Show Vault
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2007, 04:12:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'148705\' date=\'Mar 20 2007, 04:01 PM\']
Split Second's 35th Anniversary is coming up, and I've been planning something special for that time...
[/quote]
Not to be funny, but it's today, in fact.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
The Game Show Vault
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
Not to be funny, but it's today, in fact.

...I swear for some reason I thought it was March 27. Oy.
My mistake. Look for something later in the weekend! :-D

--Jamie