Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tonight's "Deal"  (Read 3377 times)

MTCesquire

Tonight's "Deal"
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:02:33 PM »
I'm not trying to get into the results of the show, what the offers were, etc.  I want to speak strictly on Howie's performance and how this has been one of my favorite episodes since the show debuted in December 2005.

It was another two-hour special, and on the second half, Howie decided that he would (follow the producer's orders and) go out into the streets and "randomly" select a person to bring back to the studio and be a contestant.  Yes, it's got that nasty, gimmick after taste, but the end result showed one of the reasons I started watching the show in the first place.

They end up choosing this 23-year-old girl who works at "Hot Dog on a Stick".  I always thought that was some fictitious place sitcom writers made up, but in any case...she turned out to be the first low-key, "regular" contestant they've had since the first week of shows.  Even her supporters weren't flamboyant and overly annoying.  This gave Howie a chance to be himself and the spotlight was placed back on him, which is how it should be seeing as how he is the host.

I get tired of watching Howie play ringmaster to a bunch of crazed fools who constantly upstage Howie, and for once, it was nice to see a game without cars, ponies, VIP sports packages, or other mess getting in the way of things.  I wish it was like that every night.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:25:28 PM by MTCesquire »

TheLastResort

Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »
I didn't see the whole show, but I think choosing someone off the street was a great idea.  Doesn't take a genius to play that game, so you really don't need any drawn out auditioning process.   Besides, Howie is good at man-on-the-street interviews.

Not to mention that girl was smokin' hot!!  (I could make a "hot dog on a stick" joke, but I'd get banned.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'148667\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 07:36 PM\']
I didn't see the whole show, but I think choosing someone off the street was a great idea.
[/quote]
Do you really think, with a show like this that is processed to a fine paste, that that was really an "off the street"  selection?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Speedy G

Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:54:27 PM »
Do you really think, with a show like this that is processed to a fine paste, that that was really an "off the street" selection?
Possibly, in an "let's grab someone off the street, spot interview them, have the producers/contestant coordinators give the OK, grab a supporter from the workplace, get in touch with their boss to make sure it's OK that they go on TV, call up family and rush them to the studio ASAP, but take your time because we've got all day to tape this episode" kind of way.

It just felt different.  Kind of like sitting down with your family and a new game, and you all figure out the rules together.  And, dare I say it, did I see some of the supporters actually SITTING on the supporters' bench?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:54:54 PM by Speedy G »
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

TheLastResort

Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:59:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'148668\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 09:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'148667\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 07:36 PM\']
I didn't see the whole show, but I think choosing someone off the street was a great idea.
[/quote]
Do you really think, with a show like this that is processed to a fine paste, that that was really an "off the street"  selection?
[/quote]
Of course not.  I'm not an idiot.  I just like having the selection process being part of the show, as phony as it may be.  Beats the hell out of watching people pick numbers for two hours.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »
I listened to the first half, and again, I would like to register my displeasure at the groaning at losing a large prize when a middling one still remains. People get so mesmerized at the huge amounts in the lower right that they don't realize that $10k or $20k would still be a wonderful amount of money to win. To continue the rant; a $10,000 offer is one that is given serious thought and dramatic music on the Australian version, not a flippant "Not enough you cheap bastard! No deal!" like we get here.

/Say, if I beat this dead horse a bit more, I may be able to cook up some Equine Jerky.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:23:10 AM »
By the same token, if the online version uses identical sound effects to the TV version...Deal or No Deal is the only show I know that considers eliminating $50,000 a "good thing".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:28:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'148679\' date=\'Mar 20 2007, 01:23 AM\']
By the same token, if the online version uses identical sound effects to the TV version...Deal or No Deal is the only show I know that considers eliminating $50,000 a "good thing".
[/quote]
IIRC, it's that eerie synthesizer sound effect, not the bass drum beats.

And I remember watching it with my mom, and mentioning to her that I couldn't believe the audience actually applauded over $75,000 was eliminated.

/do you know what I could DO with that money?!
//that's 75,000 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers!
///with a side of triple bypass
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 02:17:00 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 01:37:44 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'148680\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 10:28 PM\']///with a side of triple bypass[/quote]Can we have some sort of running jackpot for the first person to get on a game show and when asked "What will you do with the money?" to say "I'm going to buy out the dollar menu of the local McDonalds!" or whatever restaurant they prefer?

/Oh, and Brandon? Say hello to Regis for me when you enjoy that fat bypass. :)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:48:42 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'148673\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 08:59 PM\']
Of course not.  I'm not an idiot.  I just like having the selection process being part of the show, as phony as it may be.  Beats the hell out of watching people pick numbers for two hours.
[/quote]
Fair enough. If you don't mind your intelligence being insulted, more power to you.

/yes, I realize it's not all that bright of a show to start with
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 07:52:54 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148681\' date=\'Mar 20 2007, 12:37 AM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'148680\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 10:28 PM\']///with a side of triple bypass[/quote]Can we have some sort of running jackpot for the first person to get on a game show...
[/quote]
So, combined with the Malcolm Jackpot, we now have a grand total of...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Peter Sarrett

Tonight's "Deal"
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148678\' date=\'Mar 19 2007, 10:05 PM\']
I listened to the first half, and again, I would like to register my displeasure at the groaning at losing a large prize when a middling one still remains. People get so mesmerized at the huge amounts in the lower right that they don't realize that $10k or $20k would still be a wonderful amount of money to win.[/quote]

It depends on the game.  On Deal or No Deal, $10,000 is not a wonderful amount of money to win.  It is 1% of what someone on the show could win.  When a contestant goes on that show, they probably go with the hope of winning over $200,000.  And that is, in fact, a reasonable hope.  Contestants regularly win that much money, and sometimes far more.  So it's not at all odd to have an audience groan when the biggest value on the board goes away, regardless of how much is still possible.  If a 6 (or 7) figure prize disappears and the player is left with a maximum upside of $10,000, that's a huge disappointment.  Yes, it's still more than they came with, but there is no contestant on the planet who isn't going to be disappointed that they're not leaving with more.

The show makes a big deal about giving contestants the chance at a life-changing amount of money, and for most people $10,000 is not life-changing.  When you go in expecting a feast and come out with a light snack, it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed at not being full rather than happy that you're not starving.