Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2/Pyramid NO SPOIL report  (Read 4251 times)

SteveRep

H2/Pyramid NO SPOIL report
« on: September 15, 2003, 10:58:15 AM »
Just a couple of things noticed on the first day of the new-rules seasons of Squares and Pyramid:

H2:

1) The champ's first bonus-round prize is something less valuable than a car. (On Monday, it was a cruise). Bonus round play is unchanged. Guess they figure that there will likely be more bonus rounds played over the course of a week that you can't start 'em off TOO big. I would think the car would come next after winning the cruise.

Pyramid:

1) Giuliana's a good game player. Sorry, I pre-judged and wasn't expecting much from her at all.

2) The give/receive choice is made AFTER the pre-WC commercial break. The contestant and celeb are standing in the WC when they resume, contestant makes choice, they go right to the seats and right to the game.

3) The WC graphics have added a \"X to win\" to the time and category. Sorry, but I don't need that. I went to high school. I can count to 6.

4) The WC judging appears to be MUCH more generous.

That's all I'll post without danger of spoiling.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 09:26:03 PM by SteveRep »

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 12:29:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 09:58 AM\']3) The WC graphics have added a \"X to win\" to the time and category. Sorry, but I don't need that. I went to high school. I can count to 6.[/quote]

I don't mind them doing that for the 6th category of the maingame.  I do mind them doing it in the WC.

[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 09:58 AM\']4) The WC judging appears to be MUCH more generous.[/quote]

So I noticed.

As for other changes, the set looks somewhat better.  I think their new Super Six reveal looks awful.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 01:26:56 PM by WilliamPorygon »

Brakus

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 05:38:57 PM »
3) The WC graphics have added a \"X to win\" to the time and category. Sorry, but I don't need that. I went to high school. I can count to 6.

I see why they have it for the main game, but I don't think it's necessary for the end game. That's what the long shot of the Pyramid is for during the round.

The judging in the WC seems to be okay to me... Considering that today is the first show of Season 2, you'd have a show like today to start the week off.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 05:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' date=\'Sep 15 2003, 04:38 PM\']
3) The WC graphics have added a "X to win" to the time and category. Sorry, but I don't need that. I went to high school. I can count to 6.

I see why they have it for the main game, but I don't think it's necessary for the end game. That's what the long shot of the Pyramid is for during the round.

[/quote]
 Of course, if the director is too busy trying to get reaction shots, he may not be paying attention to the pyramid and needs that little reminder...\"Oh yeah, they're about to win, better get another shot ready for when they start jumping up and down...\"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 11:52:55 PM »
Dr. Bear wrote:
Of course, if the director is too busy trying to get reaction shots, he may not be paying attention to the pyramid and needs that little reminder...\"Oh yeah, they're about to win, better get another shot ready for when they start jumping up and down...\"

The Chyrons aren't added in post-production?

FWIW, I think the \"6 to go\" thing looks overly busy in both the front game and Winners' Circle, and is a sad commentary on the state of America if people actually need it.  

(I also don't like the practice that the networks all have in covering the NFL of keeping not just the score on screen at all times, but the down and yardage as well.  Fox are especially bad, since their display involved more irritating effects.  I can understand keeping the score on screen -- people may be switching channels from one game to another.  But that's not so likely to happen with game shows.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 11:56:07 PM »
William Porygon wrote:
As for other changes, the set looks somewhat better. I think their new Super Six reveal looks awful.

I liked the gold around the monitors for the front game, but didn't like any of the front game reveals.   The rotating Super Six was just irritating, and I don't see what purpose putting the neon-pink lighting around the selected category serves.

And they still need to put the Super Six promo at the top of the game, after Donny announces all six categories.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

MCArroyo1

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 08:08:57 AM »
As for other changes, the set looks somewhat better. I think their new Super Six reveal looks awful.
Nah, it's not that bad.  Certainly not any worse than a Daily Double reveal on Jeopardy!

Jay Temple

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 04:07:59 PM »
The light around a category that's just been chosen and the rotating Super Six don't bother me, but I don't like the sound effect that accompanies the light.

I like the multiple angles during the WC, but I'd rather they use the long view to establish how many are needed to win.

Since they went to the trouble of adding a scoreboard midway through Season 1, they should keep it in view at all times.  In Round 6, the \"N to win\" is useful, but it would be better if they just showed the opponent's scoreboard in one of the corners.  Optimally, if the team at left goes last, put the right team's scoreboard in the lower right and vice versa.

Of course, letting the contestant choose whether to give or receive in the WC is a huge improvement!  (I always thought the 1980's Pyramid gave contestants too much freedom, while other game shows gave them too little.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 04:48:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 01:07 PM\'] In Round 6, the "N to win" is useful, but it would be better if they just showed the opponent's scoreboard in one of the corners.  Optimally, if the team at left goes last, put the right team's scoreboard in the lower right and vice versa.
 [/quote]
 I'd rather have the \"N to win\" countdown myself. On the Clark show, he'd simply say \"You need 19 points,\" or whatever. If yer gonna insult my intelligence and show me the other score because you think I can't remember that, just do the math for me and be done with it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Pyramid80

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 05:11:30 PM »
I am actually pleased with the changes to Pyramid this season.  I am ecstatic about the give/receive option in the WC, which I think everyone is happy about.  The special spot lights sweeping the floor this season are great too IMO.  The past 2 shows I have watched, I have been happy and excited to watch.  Hopefully this show will grow in ratings and will become a stiff competition with Jeopardy and WOF.

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 09:24:01 PM »
1) Guiliana's a good game player. Sorry, I pre-judged and wasn't expecting much from her at all.

I had no clue how she'd do, but I def didn't expect her to help give away $20K on the season opener. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 09:28:29 PM »
BTW, I don't think this has been mentioned...those H2 \"Behind the Squares\" bumpers from last season are no more, which really allows for that much more gameplay time, IMO.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 10:44:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Sep 16 2003, 04:11 PM\']Hopefully this show [Pyramid] will grow in ratings and will become a stiff competition with Jeopardy and WOF.[/quote]
Right hand, left hand, it's all Sony's money . . .

Although I am now getting a funny mental picture of Donny Osmond smiling over his pay raise while Pat and Alex glare at him.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin