Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare  (Read 5403 times)

Clay Zambo

Double Dare
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:25:53 PM »
I realized that Herself had never seen "Double Dare," so we turned on tonight's mini-marathon on GSN.  She agreed with me that it was not a bad game at all.  But, lordy!  Could there have been more sound effects (and more annoying ones?  A less attractive production design?

(Then there's the matter of the unfortunate wardrobe choices the contestants made, but, hey, I've seen pictures of me from that era; it was a very bad year.)
czambo@mac.com

MikeK

• Martha!
Double Dare
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:16:26 PM »
I was watching the marathon with my mom earlier this evening.  She had similar sentiments, saying that it was a very cool game but she could understand why the show didn't last even 6 months.  Trebek's hair circa late '76 was...wow.

Robert Hutchinson

Double Dare
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »
I don't mean to drag spoilers (pardon the pun) into this, but the suspense is killing me--did anyone win the bonus round?

(I have no doubt that the reply could well be "Yes, four out of five contestants did. What's your deal?" I just think that bonus round was incredibly weighted against the contestant, at least considering the clues on the few episodes I've seen.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Double Dare
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 10:41:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'148980\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 09:36 PM\']
I don't mean to drag spoilers (pardon the pun) into this, but the suspense is killing me--did anyone win the bonus round?
[/quote]
While your question may have been purely rhetorical, Matt Kaiser's Double Dare page shows a $5,000 win.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvwxman

Double Dare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »
Watching the marathon at work tonight...I was reminded of how great this show was.

I think, back in 76, that It's problem was that it was a daytime show. I think this would have done MUCH better at nighttime..... Theres' no way housewives could have enjoyed this!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

MikeK

• Martha!
Double Dare
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:44:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'148980\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 10:36 PM\']I don't mean to drag spoilers (pardon the pun) into this, but the suspense is killing me--did anyone win the bonus round?[/quote]
Highlight for spoilage where necessary.

Tonight, [color=\"#F5F9FD\"]one player beat the spoilers twice, but lost in his 4th game.  He left with $12,700 or $12,900[/color].  (My math gave a different amount than what Alex said.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 10:45:44 PM by MikeK »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Double Dare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 10:58:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'148982\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 07:43 PM\']Watching the marathon at work tonight...I was reminded of how great this show was.

I think, back in 76, that It's problem was that it was a daytime show. I think this would have done MUCH better at nighttime..... Theres' no way housewives could have enjoyed this![/quote]I've always thought the show was too smart for where it was put in the schedule. Even if you must have it somewhere in daytime (and I think that helped to kill it off: there's just too much going on for Jane Homemaker to keep track of) don't put it after The Price is Right--that's just begging for trouble.

The main game is perfect as is, but I'm not too keen on the bonus round, even though I can't think of anything better at the moment other than a race against time sort of thing that is completely unoriginal. Just a case of too smart for the room.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Double Dare
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:06:28 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148985\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 07:58 PM\']
don't put it after The Price is Right--that's just begging for trouble.
[/quote]
I wanna remember it running *before* TPiR. For some reason I wanna say that where I grew up it was in the 9:30 Card Sharks / Press Your Luck hole.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Double Dare
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 12:44:33 AM »
It started out in the 11 E/10 CP slot following TPIR and opposite WOF. On March 7, 1977 it was moved to 10E/9CP against "Sanford and Son." On April 29, 1977 it went off, replaced by "Here's Lucy."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

Double Dare
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:03:56 AM »
DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!!!!!  Here I am, paying a premium price every month to my cable service so I can have the digital tier with GSN...and what happens?  I forget that DD was on tonight, or even to check TV Guide where it was listed right there in the program grid!!!

Shades of the years when they used to run all those great shows but I could only dream of having GSN and missed out on all of them.  Now I wish I had a tape copy of all four of those DDs from tonight (if the premiere was one of them, I already have that one).  But as it stands now, I've already been waiting since last year for another tape collection of old GS's I traded for that hasn't come in months.

Okay, rant over. Sorry, but I just couldn't keep this in me.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jay Temple

Double Dare
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 01:07:40 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'148985\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 09:58 PM\']
The main game is perfect as is, but I'm not too keen on the bonus round, even though I can't think of anything better at the moment other than a race against time sort of thing that is completely unoriginal. Just a case of too smart for the room.
[/quote]
The main game and bonus round have what I consider the ideal relationship: They're based on doing the same thing, but in a different structure. (Or, doing something very similar but not exactly the same.) I don't know what else you could do without straying too far from the premise of the main game.

At least they played it for cash. If a certain other production company had developed it, they would have played for $1,000 cash and $3,000+ in merchandise.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

beatlefreak84

Double Dare
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 01:19:25 AM »
At least they played it for cash. If a certain other production company had developed it, they would have played for $1,000 cash and $3,000+ in merchandise.

But, wait...it wouldn't be a complete B+E bonus round without something bad to avoid, right?

"Okay, Jane...you'll win all of those prizes if you can avoid the Double Dare Dog."

Either that, or hide one of the Spoilers behind one of the numbers.  I've got a really weird image now of one of those stuffy Ph.D's roaring like a dragon when he's picked...:).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Double Dare
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 01:46:03 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'148992\' date=\'Mar 24 2007, 10:03 PM\']
Okay, rant over. Sorry, but I just couldn't keep this in me.
[/quote]Maybe you should write a letter.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:47:38 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Double Dare
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 02:07:34 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'148995\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 12:19 AM\']
But, wait...it wouldn't be a complete B+E bonus round without something bad to avoid, right?

"Okay, Jane...you'll win all of those prizes if you can avoid the Double Dare Dog."

Either that, or hide one of the Spoilers behind one of the numbers.  I've got a really weird image now of one of those stuffy Ph.D's roaring like a dragon when he's picked...:).

Anthony
[/quote]

It's great and hilarious responses like this that keep me coming back to this place! :-)
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Double Dare
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 02:12:38 AM »
I remember the discussion of how hilariously dumbed down TJW was in 1977, and I think Mssrs. Barry and Enright realized why they needed to do so.

In 1976 (the few months before TJW), there were no hard trivia game shows in daytime or syndication, other than $128,000 Question. Same reason 50 Grand Slam probably bit the dust. And like Connecti-Matt said, having daytime slots was already strike one for both shows.

I'm guessing at that point, the only shows involving trivia were multiple choice, or had you rely on the celebrity's written answer quick wit.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!