Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Consolation Prizes  (Read 7164 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Consolation Prizes
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:26:25 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gflmByeV2pE

My question is, has anyone here ever owned, or known anyone who owned, a Dazey Seal-A-Meal? I have a great deal of difficulty seeing the practical utility of such a device. With regard to the slogan, it would take much more than a Dazey Seal-A-Meal to simplify my life.

Matt Ottinger

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'150171\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 07:26 AM\']My question is, has anyone here ever owned, or known anyone who owned, a Dazey Seal-A-Meal? [/quote]
You can have one right now if you want. A quick check shows there are more than two dozen available for sale on Ebay.  Somebody was buying them originally!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
eBay Search Link....

And it seems like those are the '60s version of the current FoodSaver system.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 10:39:09 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
You can have one right now if you want. A quick check shows there are more than two dozen available for sale on Ebay. Somebody was buying them originally!
Ah, but were any of them won as consolation prizes on Match Game?

Some cursory Google research reveals that the Dazey company is no longer in business, and that there was a patent associated with the sealing mechanism. There is now a food sealing machine made by Rival (I assume Rival acquired Dazey's patent). My intuition tells me these things have utility not only for sealing leftovers but also for sealing various, um, herbs.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'150176\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 07:23 AM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'150171\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 07:26 AM\']My question is, has anyone here ever owned, or known anyone who owned, a Dazey Seal-A-Meal? [/quote]
You can have one right now if you want. A quick check shows there are more than two dozen available for sale on Ebay.  Somebody was buying them originally!
[/quote]
I'll point out that at one time our family owned a Hot Dogger, too. (Yes, kids, this is what we did before microwaves.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150190\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 09:58 AM\']
I'll point out that at one time our family owned a Hot Dogger, too. (Yes, kids, this is what we did before microwaves.)
[/quote]
And Jiffy Pop was truly prehistoric: foil-wrapped popcorn with a heat-transferring handle that you shook over an open flame!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Clay Zambo

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'150171\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 07:26 AM\']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gflmByeV2pE

My question is, has anyone here ever owned, or known anyone who owned, a Dazey Seal-A-Meal? I have a great deal of difficulty seeing the practical utility of such a device. With regard to the slogan, it would take much more than a Dazey Seal-A-Meal to simplify my life.
[/quote]

Never owned one.  Mom said they were too much trouble.  Seems to me they wouldn't simplify anything; they might improve one's life (minimizing one's consumption of processed foods; possibly saving money), but not simplify it.
czambo@mac.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 03:19:17 PM »
And Jiffy Pop was truly prehistoric: foil-wrapped popcorn with a heat-transferring handle that you shook over an open flame!
Like food sealing appliances, Jiffy Pop survives to this day but under different ownership (the Jiffy Pop brand is now owned by ConAgra). I made some Jiffy Pop just a few weeks ago. ConAgra says they changed the recipe of the butter flavor in 2002. Other than that, the only discernable difference is that in order to absorb heat more efficiently the pan is now black instead of silver. The trick to making Jiffy Pop on a gas stove is to make sure the blue flame just touches the bottom of the pan. Flavor-wise, Jiffy Pop is no better or worse than any microwave popcorn. To get with the times they should really use oil which does not contain trans-fats.

For real popcorn I prefer my Anchor Hocking plastic microwave popping vessel. The corn comes out totally dry. You then drizzle it with extra-light olive oil and salt and you have the best popcorn ever made, and healthy too! I use Jiffy Pop, finding that Redenbacher's does not justify the higher price.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 03:21:27 PM by chris319 »

DrBear

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
Never owned one, although having a Watta Pizzeria saved me from starvation in college.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BobbyLankford_83

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »
I remember Avery Schrieber advertising Watta Pizzeria, in addition to Doritos, which he did for years ,long before Jay Leno did ads for the snacks.

We too had a Watta Pizzeria, and it was so cool!. We would make pizzas on it often on weekends!.

And how about the Zenith Wedge Stereo?. Although we did not have one, my aunt did, and it was awesome!. All those groovy disco records sounded real good on it. And I had a friend in school whose dad ran a Zenith dealer in Battle Creek and he told me about those wedge stereos that were also consolation prizes on Match Game.

Today, Zenith is owned by LG electronics of South Korea.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'150201\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 03:41 PM\']
Never owned one, although having a Watta Pizzeria saved me from starvation in college.
[/quote]
So, was this Watta Pizzeria the Presto Pizzaz of today, or was it something completely different?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'150207\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 04:02 PM\']
So, was this Watta Pizzeria the Presto Pizzaz of today, or was it something completely different?
[/quote]
From the looks of it, yeah, 'cept it looks like all of the heating elements are in the bottom, whereas that Presto thing has one in the top, too. And, of course, no turntable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »
Basically, it looked like an oversized wok, with a heating element in the bottom. You put the pizza on the tray, put the lid over it, and waited about 20-25 minutes. It never melted the cheese on frozen pizza that thoroughly, but it did the job.

Tried to find a picture of it, but failed.

EDIT: Curse you, Fred Smythe - I tried looking on eBay and couldn't find anything. Then again, I never go there otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:18:50 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Consolation Prizes
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »
That Presto item looks interesting. You could make the bottom less "done" than the top, meaning there might be hope yet for cardboard-crust frozen pizzas.

Speaking of Presto, my dad gave me a Presto hot-air popcorn popper for my 26th birthday waaaaay back in 1981. It was a nice gesture, but this was possibly the worst appliance ever created. It had this plastic chute that the popcorn was supposed to come out of. In my experience with it, after a few minutes of operation this thing would spew unpopped kernels out of the chute which would ricochet all over the kitchen and onto the floor. Might as well take a handful of raw kernels from the bag and scatter them all over the room like so much rice at a wedding. To anyone who received a Presto hot-air popcorn popper as a prize on any Goodson-Todman show ever, I offer my sincere and humble apologies on behalf of Goodson-Todman and the network that carried the show.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:55:00 PM by chris319 »

jmangin

Consolation Prizes
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »
We had a seal-a-meal when I was growing up.

My family grew a very large garden every year, and at the end of the summer my mother would spend days canning peppers, making her own tomato sauce, etc.

We used the seal-a-meal (I think it may have been some knockoff brand, though) to store things like green beans, cut bell peppers, ears of corn, etc. for freezing.