Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Craig Ferguson Hosting a Game Show Pilot  (Read 7344 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Craig Ferguson Hosting a Game Show Pilot
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'150955\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 10:22 AM\']
You guys can keep saying that all you want...
[/quote]
Oh, and we will, but if you're going to dismiss us with stuff like this and "whatever", then you shouldn't expect any more respect for your opinion in return.

(I know, folks, talking to a wall.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »
 I do agree that you would probably have a train wreck on your hands, but I'm more optimistic.

Obviously, you haven't seen the times on Drew's Line where a civilian is part of the bit (Sound Effects, etc.) and just dissolves into giggles. An all-civilian improv show could give karaoke a good name.

I'd like to see a game show, you could call it "Not Ready for Monday Night Football," where you get real people playing football, maybe with one pro on each team, maybe a linebacker. I see people running around the lake each weekend who look pretty fast. They might surprise you.

Already done - "Pros vs. Joes" on Spike.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »
And in case it hasn't been mentioned, there's a reason for all this prime time game show activity at CBS--a Writers Guild strike is on the horizon for all of the broadcast networks and this is CBS' way of preparing for the possibility that the writers may walk off on Nov. 1.

I wonder if Alan Thicke could brush the dust off a possible theme song for Craig to sing?  :)

WhammyPower

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 05:32:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'150976\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 03:27 PM\'] I wonder if Alan Thicke could brush the dust off a possible theme song for Craig to sing?  :) [/quote]
I don't think I'd want to hear Craig singing, much less see him hosting a game show.

/Michael Keaton sucks at singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:33:29 PM by WhammyPower »

tpirfan28

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 05:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'150976\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 04:27 PM\']
And in case it hasn't been mentioned, there's a reason for all this prime time game show activity at CBS--a Writers Guild strike is on the horizon for all of the broadcast networks and this is CBS' way of preparing for the possibility that the writers may walk off on Nov. 1.
[/quote]
More the reason to see Concentration (NBC), new host TPiR (CBS), and...oh...I don't know...1v100 (NBC) in primetime.  Yeah...screw ABC and Fox.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 06:17:14 PM »
I don't know how to break this to you, but game shows have writers too.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'150980\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 05:32 PM\']
I don't think I'd want to hear Craig singing, much less see him hosting a game show.[/quote]
Then you must not watch his talk show.
This signature is currently under construction.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'150988\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 05:17 PM\']I don't know how to break this to you, but game shows have writers too.[/quote]
That's why I'm getting ready for Deal or No Deal ripoffs and bingo games! Hooray!

--
Scott Robinson
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:02:25 PM by MSTieScott »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 01:00:02 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150964\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 01:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'150955\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 10:22 AM\']
You guys can keep saying that all you want...
[/quote]
Oh, and we will, but if you're going to dismiss us with stuff like this and "whatever", then you shouldn't expect any more respect for your opinion in return.

(I know, folks, talking to a wall.)
[/quote]

Yes, but sometimes the wall talks back. (Of course, in that case, you should probably see a doctor, but that's...eh, never mind. Lame attempt at a joke. I will accept my stoning and hope it doesn't kill me.)

My last post (the one after the one you're quoting) I just wrote out of complete and utter frustration, and it really wasn't necessary. I'll strike it from the record.

And I'll reiterate, if you just throw a show like that together with a bunch of Average Joes and Janes, without any sort of glue to hold it together, you will get something that would make a show like The Will look like Gunsmoke.

I probably should have come at it this way from the beginning, but since I underestimated the reaction to my idea (severely, at that), it needs to come out now.

I'm not saying conduct it like Whose Line...maybe something along the lines of a reality show where they weed things down to a certain amount of people, have an all-star (or not) panel of judges who knows comedy when they see it, and go from there.

I don't know if that would change your mind, but at least I'm gonna give it a shot.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 01:22:41 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'150999\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 10:00 PM\']
I'm not saying conduct it like Whose Line...maybe something along the lines of a reality show where they weed things down to a certain amount of people, have an all-star (or not) panel of judges who knows comedy when they see it, and go from there.

I don't know if that would change your mind, but at least I'm gonna give it a shot.
[/quote]
Well, and it's a valiant effort, but no. You'll notice they don't even try this on Last Comic Standing, because improv is hard. REALLY hard. Hard enough that a lot of bona-fide comedians shy away from it. You've already been told that to get a half-hour of material for Who's Line, they cull from a couple-three hours of tape. And those are SEASONED PROS.

The closest thing you have to a reasonable idea would be casting from local improv troupes. And then...well, you don't have average people anymore, now you have unknown improv actors.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:37 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'150999\' date=\'Apr 26 2007, 01:00 AM\']I'm not saying conduct it like Whose Line...maybe something along the lines of a reality show where they weed things down to a certain amount of people, have an all-star (or not) panel of judges who knows comedy when they see it, and go from there.[/quote]
I'm going to jump in to see if one more voice of reason will convince you to abandon this.  ANYTHING that has as its starting point average people with no training trying to do improv comedy will be unfunny, unwatchable television.  You could possibly build something around the humiliation of how bad they're doing, but that just sounds cruel, even by modern reality-show standards.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »
I'm going to straddle the aisle a bit and mention Friday Night Improvs.  It's an "all audience participation" show, but most of said participating audience are people who participate on a fairly regular basis.  So yes, average (college) people could do it, but not without some amount of experience.

/Failure is "okay" at Friday Night Improvs
//Yes, I participate sometimes and not fail
This signature is currently under construction.

mmb5

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
I've been taking improv classes for about a year now.  Currently I'm in a class with four people who have been doing this for a lot longer than I have.  I would say in a typical 2 hour class we could probably get a decent 6 minutes of TV out of it.  And we know what we're doing.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:39:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'151053\' date=\'Apr 26 2007, 08:57 PM\']I'm going to straddle the aisle a bit and mention Friday Night Improvs.  It's an "all audience participation" show, but most of said participating audience are people who participate on a fairly regular basis.  So yes, average (college) people could do it, but not without some amount of experience.[/quote]
But that's still much different than watching a TV show.  When you're in a live setting, even if you're not actively participating, the "feel" (and the expectation) is completely different than when you're at home passively enjoying a produced program.  There are any number of things (karaoke, amateur stand-up nights, line dancing) that would be entertaining in a live situation regardless of quality but wouldn't work on television.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.