Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steines, Hamilton, Newton  (Read 7542 times)

Jimmy Owen

Steines, Hamilton, Newton
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
The irony (or coincidence?) is that Bob Goen left ET to do game shows and his replacement Mr. Steines may have to do the same.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

deknaj

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
I too was rooting for Summers as he started at CBS as a page. For him it would have been like coming full circle as he paged for TPIR and MG, so he saw both Rayburn and Barker in their prime doing their thing.

Newton does have the game show experience on his side, along with the fact that he has not only hosted other game shows, but also the live show, and has also hosted the DVD version of the game....it really sort of puts him in the lead as far as actual hands-on contact with the show.

No slights to Steinnes and Hamilton, but I think Newton may be our new host.

TonicBH

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'150359\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 09:02 AM\']
The irony (or coincidence?) is that Bob Goen left ET to do game shows and his replacement Mr. Steines may have to do the same.
[/quote]

It would only be ironic if Goen went back to ET. It's coincidental, if anything.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

tpirfan28

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »
Lookie, Lookie....TMZ.com reports that John O'Hurley is the "front runner" for the job.

<sarcasm mode off>
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 02:23:59 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150377\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 02:23 PM\']
Lookie, Lookie....TMZ.com reports that John O'Hurley is the "front runner" for the job.

<sarcasm mode off>
[/quote]
.............Aaaaaand they updated to say that O'Hurley loves doing Feud, "hated" doing Price and would only take it if they offered a ton of money. And then tried to back it up by saying that this is a ploy to drive down the contracts for Steines and Newton. Love them internets!

Tyshaun

cmjb13

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'150381\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 03:13 PM\']

<sarcasm mode off>
[/quote]
.............Aaaaaand they updated to say that O'Hurley loves doing Feud, "hated" doing Price and would only take it if they offered a ton of money. And then tried to back it up by saying that this is a ploy to drive down the contracts for Steines and Newton. Love them internets!

Tyshaun
[/quote]
They did an update to an update saying that O'Hurley didn't hate Price because he never hosted it.

Oh my aching head.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

pbandj

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'150391\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 04:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'150381\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 03:13 PM\']

<sarcasm mode off>
[/quote]

Tyshaun
[/quote]
They did an update to an update saying that O'Hurley didn't hate Price because he never hosted it.

Oh my aching head.
[/quote]
I have tix to see Todd Newton today in Las Vegas!!!!  I can't wait!  My vote is for Todd.

CJBojangles

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »
[quote name=\'David Levy\' post=\'150325\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 08:20 PM\']In addition to his ideal personality and hosting experience, I think back to how good he was at explaining the rules of the numerous physical challenges (a talent that could have been carried over to the pricing games).  Additionally, an entire generation of game show fans (now within an age range that's highly desirable to advertisers) grew up watching Marc host Double Dare.  That familiarity could have been a major asset.[/quote]Funny you should mention that, I too was always fascinated at how well Marc Summers was at explaining the rules of all the physical challenges. At first he held a card that seemed to have the information on it, but he rarely even looked down at it. I'd love to hear him explain some of the pricing games. And I'd definitely root him on if he was still in the running, but my vote has to go to Todd. Again, non-Whammy! Todd. Powerball Todd or Hollywood Showdown Todd. Not screaming, jumping up and down, foaming at the mouth Todd.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'150340\' date=\'Apr 17 2007, 02:14 AM\']But apparently they actually do some sort of "test" in the line, even though it's only a few sentences worth of conversation. So, what criteria are they using to pick their contestants? There's been more than one show I remember where all nine contestants had some sort of homemade homage shirt, and they're no better or worse players than anyone else. So obviously, that "test" isn't doing anything but taking up time.[/quote]I always wondered this as well. And it's no wonder more than half the people I talk to don't even know how the selection process works. Who can blame them for thinking it's a random selection when half the people called up on stage have no idea what they're doing? (See this woman.) I was always under the impression that people were interviewed and selected based on how well they played the game. When I tell people I'm going to the show in May they either think it's a random selection or think I've taken a test or something to qualify and that I'm actually going to be a contestant. Here's an excerpt from the article titled "The Guide to Visiting TPiR" over at G-R.net...

The pages will gather the audience members into small groups of about ten people or so. Each group then stands in front of the two contestant coordinators. In turn, each person has about ten or fifteen seconds to be the best they can be while one of the contestant coordinators speaks directly to them. If the contestant coordinators like you, then they'll write your number down on their clipboard. If they don't like you, then they'll write your number down on another part of the clipboard.
So, according to this person, it's just whether or not they like your personality. I agree though, I'd say either streamline the process including a way to find contestants that know what they're doing, or just make it a random selection. Granted, what they've been doing the last 35 years has worked, but that was with Barker at the helm. Maybe with the focus of the show changing mainly from the host to the contestants (like it already has been for some time now) it's time for a change.

Card Shark

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »
And apparently, in the Phiadelphia Inquirer yesterday, it is stated the O'hurley and Hamilton are the front runners. See the article here.
Adam Strom

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 08:35:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'150726\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 08:17 AM\']
And apparently, in the Phiadelphia Inquirer yesterday, it is stated the O'hurley and Hamilton are the front runners. See the article here.
[/quote]

That was more of an wry commentary piece than an article, but the rhetorical question remains: If you had to have been on "Dancing with the Stars" to be considered, where's Tom Bergeron?

WhammyPower

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 08:41:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'150727\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 07:35 AM\'] If you had to have been on "Dancing with the Stars" to be considered, where's Tom Bergeron? [/quote]
Even though it's rhetorical, I'm answering it:

He's probably stuck in a contract with ABC/Disney (remember, he does AFV, too).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:41:42 AM by WhammyPower »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 09:18:36 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'150729\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 08:41 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'150727\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 07:35 AM\'] If you had to have been on "Dancing with the Stars" to be considered, where's Tom Bergeron? [/quote]
Even though it's rhetorical, I'm answering it:

He's probably stuck in a contract with ABC/Disney (remember, he does AFV, too).
[/quote]

Well, in that case, I'd be willing to watch TPIR on ABC again to make it happen.  I switched in '63, I can switch in '07.

The Pyramids

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
Had Tom been in contention right now it would have been a no-brainer who should host.

The previous poster had a good point how Todd has experience on his side.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'150738\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 04:38 PM\']
Had Tom been in contention right now it would have been a no-brainer who should host.
[/quote]

Considering the apparent lack of brains the people at CBS currently have when it comes to TPIR (re: Rich Fields), I doubt that Bergeron would have gotten said job regardless of whether he was the best possible candidate.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »
IIRC, H2 was done in the same studio as TPIR, so it's not like Tom is unfamiliar with the surroundings.  H2 was also on the CBS O&O's so the suits know who he is.